The Next Generation of SmartThings is Here

We will have an exclusive offer to upgrade coming out to our original UK kickstarter backers via email in the next few days.

1 Like

Is this available yet in the IDE to start trying out? I noticed the examples in the Dev Docs, but when I tried to test them in the IDE, it just hung

There may be issues simulating these new tiles in the IDE, but we’ve been using them for some time internally.

Here are just a few examples (though you probably saw these already): http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/device-type-developers-guide/tiles-metadata.html#examples

You can try publishing the device type and associating it with a device to see it in the mobile app.

Thanks @Jim. Guess I’ll have to wait till this afternoon. I was hoping to see what it looks like now, so I was looking at the docs and took the new Multi code from github and tried installing that in the IDE. When I tried to install a virtual device it seemed to hang on installing

Yeah, after I posted I realized you can’t try on the new mobile app yet :smile:

But you can see how they get scaled down for older mobile clients, so they can be written once and used on both older mobile clients as well as the new app (which is important since we’ve been updating devices for the past month with multi-attribute tiles)

@Ben, this is an incredible disappointment:

That is a HUGE difference from the previously stated “if it can run on the hub, it will run on the hub.” Consider that one HUGE thing that makes ST better than the competition is the user-dev community. You’ve basically just taken every user-developed smart-app device type and “demoted” it to run poorly.

Sure, a user can submit stuff to be approved by ST, but what good is that really? For example, I have a device type that I submitted OVER SEVEN MONTHS AGO that has never been looked at by ST. It’s nothing special - it just fixes a large oversight made by ST (which prevents actual garage door openers from working with doors&locks.)

After seeing that, I never bothered submitting a device type of schlage door locks that massively improves the generic z-wave lock code from ST. I guess that’ll never see local processing either. So, either a user gets a “bare minimum” device type, or one of the biggest new features of the v2 hub might as well not exist?

I’m very disappointed.

11 Likes

Yes, large number of products to roll out at once. Unfortunately, it’s taking its toll on the Smartthings site, and basically making it next to impossible to place an order (well, impossible for me, anyway). You must be getting an insane number of hits right now…

1:20 Eastern time: ahhhhh… you guys made it right… good on ya…

Blast! I have to wait an extra week because I ordered through amazon :frowning:. I wouldn’t have done it that way if I had any idea that would be the case.

Thanks for the clarity on the app update time! T minus 2 hours and 32 minutes.

1 Like

Congrats @Ben and ST team! Been following ST for a long time now and jumped on the Pre-Order. Cant wait to see it at my doorstep.

Foscam is far from professional…

Guessing you meant HikVision, which is what I use, know, and love! :smile:

1 Like

I know someone who has the right answer for you, @tgauchat what do you think?

Any idea on how long it typically takes for new app versions to show up in the Apple App Store? I keep checking but it’s not showing up under my Updates.

The Alex email I got this morning said 12PM PT for the new app, so they might be able to have Apple schedule that release. Another 1.5 hours or so…

1 Like

Very pleased about the new hubs guys and I’ll be pre-ordering mine, but I am concerned about this limitation. I have rolled most of my own processing and it is sad to see that it will remain banished to the cloud :frowning:

I get that you probably want to be careful about local hub performance and seem to be wanting to keep it like a walled garden - I would suggest that that is not an “open” stance to take, it is closer to Apple’s closed ecosystem.

I urge you to reconsider - please make it possible for “knowledgeable” developers to accept the risk with all the appropriate caveats you need - for instance I would be prepared to disable any of my own unsanctioned apps to help with troubleshooting a performance issue.

1 Like

We’re still working towards allowing developers to self-publish to their own Hub V2. It’s not available at the moment, which is why that statement says it’s not possible.

3 Likes

Even with the 12PM PT news, I’m still sitting here at work hitting the refresh App update button, hoping they’ll release it before then.

This is torture. How will I survive with these terrible First world problems?

4 Likes

Thanks Tyler - that makes me feel a lot better :slight_smile:

Windows phone only or windows universal app? :smile: …I know im asking too much for one day

Please, Arlo cameras support!!! :smile:

4 Likes

I totally agree regarding Foscam quality, but their prices are extremely appealing. Glad you guys are working on updating the camera line! Can’t wait to hear about what you guys have planned.

Any possible way you can hint at adding more affordable camera make and model integration for us poor folk? :smile:

3 Likes