The Next Generation of SmartThings is Here

We’re excited to announce that the next generation of the Samsung SmartThings Hub, a new lineup of products, and a brand-new app experience is available today.

Our mission has always been to create the easiest way for people to turn their home into a smart home. In fact, we started SmartThings out of a desire to know the answer to a basic but deeply personal question: is everything OK in my home. We believe our latest product evolution delivers on this ambition. Here’s a look at what’s new and improved:

The New Samsung SmartThings Hub

The new Hub has a more powerful processor that enables video monitoring and battery backup that will allow SmartThings to continue to work for up to 10 hours in the case of a power or Internet outage. It also includes a local app engine that makes SmartThings less reliant on the cloud and enables quicker communications.
The Hub has been upgraded with a new 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 processor, 512MB DDR3 RAM, and 4GB of Flash Memory. It will continue to support ZigBee, Z-Wave, and LAN-connected devices. There are 2 USB ports and a Bluetooth (BLE) radio that will be enabled with a future software update.

Additionally, the new Hub has support for SHP (Samsung’s Smart Home Protocol) which is used by appliances such as refrigerators, laundry machines, and a friggin’ sweet robot vacuum cleaner. SmartThings is the only home automation platform that supports SHP over LAN.

The New Sensors

The new collection of sensors is awesome* and includes new versions of the SmartThings Motion Sensor, the SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor (previously Open/Close, Contact, Multi Sensors), and the SmartThings Arrival Sensor (previously Presence Sensor). These new sensors are smaller and have been redesigned with a sleeker, more contemporary look and greater battery life.

These three updated sensors join the SmartThings Power Outlet, the SmartThings Water Leak Sensor (previously Moisture Sensor) , and the new Hub to complete the latest lineup of the SmartThings family.

*Not an actual guarantee

The New App Experience

The free SmartThings app has been redesigned with dynamic new features and a simpler, more intuitive experience. The new app includes our overhauled out of box experience which walks each customer through setting up a new Hub and connecting all their devices.

Customers can now organize their Dashboard to monitor and control their connected devices by room. Within each room you can also select a device that can be your hero tile, giving you access to your favorite devices quicker and easier.

One of the core new features of the app experience is Smart Home Monitor—a complete home monitoring and security solution that can be setup to alert you when SmartThings detects unwanted entry, smoke or fire, leaks, or other unexpected activity. With the new Samsung SmartThings Hub and a compatible camera, you can also get instant alerts with accompanying video-clip notifications when these unexpected events occur, or use the app to see live activity in your home.

Multi Attribute Tiles? Yep, thats a thing! These new device tiles allow for information and actions to be displayed on one tile, letting you, the developer, create richer experiences for your custom device type handlers.
The new SmartThings app will be available today for free download on iOS and Android, with Windows, Apple Watch, and Gear S apps to follow.

Native Video is Here!

Thanks to the Cortex-A9 processor, the new Samsung SmartThings Hub now makes native video processing a reality! Using live video streaming and clip recording, you can monitor your home from anywhere.

Video clips are recorded with Smart Home Monitor use a new buffering technique. This allows video capture starting a few moments before an event, and up to two minutes after. Clips can be 30 seconds, 1 minute, or 2 minutes. For your privacy, we only record video when an event happens. And of course, you are in control of these clips once recorded. Clips will automatically be deleted after 30 days. The ability to download your clips is coming in a future release.

Launching right along video is beta support for the Samsung Techwin and D-Link cameras. The Samsung TechWin SNH-P6410BN and D-Link models 5222L, 5029L, DCS-2330L, DCS-2310L, and DCS-2132L are compatible.

Check out our documentation for installing Samsung and D-link Cameras to learn more!

Want more information? Check out our Developer FAQ!

23 Likes

Fantastic announcements @Ben, really eager to get my hands on a UK V2 Hub now :slight_smile: will there be any deals for existing customers in the uk to take advantage of ?

also on the video front, will there be support for PTZ style cameras following shortly on from these mentioned above :slight_smile: (IGNORE IVE JUST SEEN THE PTZ ON D-LINK) :wink:

cheers kyle

yet again, congratulations and thank you :slight_smile:

I woke up this morning to find this exciting piece of news in my inbox. What a great way to start the day. I have over 60 devices wired in my home and I’m really just getting started… :smile:.

I’m going to second Kyle’s suggestion: it would be a really smart marketing move – and an all-around heartening SmartThings-community move – to provide am existing-customer upgrade path.

Will there be any way to make use of the existing SmartThings hub once we upgrade to the new hub? Perhaps as a z-wave / etc network extender? It would be awesome to place new hub on the top floor, old hub on the bottom floor, even if has to be wired through a physical RJ45 cable to a router that also has the new hub.

In any case, I have a lot more materials to get through this morning from your press release. Excellent work, team. My best –

Do we know when the v2 hubs will actually ship? I ordered mine through Amazon and they are still reporting 1-4 months shipping time. Should I cancel that and order directly through Smartthings? I want my new hub. . . .right. . . now. . . :smile:

Update from Amazon: New shipping estimate is October 1 - December 10th. :frowning:

-Jeff

1 Like

The Smart Home Monitor looks really interesting! I can’t wait to get the new app later on today.

Thanks SmartThings

1 Like

Does the battery backup have a charging circuit, or do we have to use akaline / one and done batteries?

Also, super excited about camera support. Is there a roadmap for the support of more “professional” cams? E.g. Hinkvision, Foscam, etc.

1 Like

Hopefully that is true for Amazon orders as well as orders from from Smartthings directly. I’m also waiting patiently for the announced application update to actually be available…

Congratulations Ben and the SmartThings team! I’m excited to get my hands on the new hub.

2 Likes

Will there be a way to migrate from the 1st gen hub to the new hub?

Looks like Amazon Pre-Orders may not ship until next week, whereas those from our shop will ship today or tomorrow.

Don’t need to keep checking…it is being pushed live at noon PT.

A migration tool will not be available until later in the year. For accounts with large numbers of devices we are offering to help people through the process, however it will still mostly follow these, admittedly painful, steps:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/205956110

I think a fresh start in my case may be a good thing. I probably have alot of stuff I don;t even use. I know this will not be the case for most, but it does not bother me :smile:

3 Likes

I’m confused on the smart home monitor - is that whole thing going to be a premium service or just the video integration part??

I certainly hope not as notifications on water and doors when away is half of what I use smarthings for!

Just video will be considered a premium offering. Live streaming video will always be free though.

Congrats on the launch. I have been looking through the announcements and blogs and I can’t find any mention of new integrations for hub 2.0 outside of the Samsung smart devices? There were a bunch that were mentioned when you guys first announced hub 2.0?

2 Likes

We’re continuing to work with a variety of partners, including many not listed in this release. Stay tuned for many exciting announcements!

1 Like

If someone was in the pre-release trial, when/if should they chime in with their experiences doing the v1 to v2 cutover, or are they embargoed from that forever? Hypothetically?

Oh, and CONGRATS ON THE LAUNCH! WHOOOO! Now, who’s going to be the first poster asking about when the V3 hub with space/time distortion support is going to be released?

6 Likes

Alkaline, one and done. It is not rechargeable.

Ha. That is the first time I have seen professional and Foscam in the same sentence :smile: But the answer is yes there are lots of cameras on the roadmap but exact models and priority are to be determined.

5 Likes

Congrats, @Ben and the SmartThings team. This is a hell of a lot of stuff to roll out all at once. I can only imagine the effort that went into all of it.

I’m hopeful that Hub v2 and the new app go a long way toward alleviating some of the big issues people have had for a long time, namely device responsiveness and ease of finding the right SmartApps.

I received the offer of migration assistance since I have a large number of devices; while the lack of a better migration option is kind of a bummer, part of me is looking forward to the fresh start because I think my current setup has gotten pretty messy due to a lot of experimentation and reconfiguring.

2 Likes