The End of Groovy Has Arrived

I migrated most of my devices edge drivers. I had a smartthings outlet fall offline for some odd reason so I deleted it and readded it. But now, I can’t get my routine to work that basically turns on and off the outlet based on a humidity reading from a sensor. It was working yesterday fine. Not sure if it’s related to the platform update happening today.

1 Like

So, once the groovy IDE is gone, where will we go to see information about our devices, like for example signal strength, recorded events, device route to the hub?

7 Likes

Yves is walking away from supporting his Groovy ecosystem on SmartThings and is recommending Hubitat. I’m moving what I can to the native SmartThings drivers.

Yes, when creating a new SmartApp in the IDE, I can select the From Template option and get a treasure trove of SmartThings Smart apps.

1 Like

Which sticks did you decide to go with for your home assistant migration?

Is that possible to understand how the migration will work on sept 30th

How smartthings will be able to associate our device to new edge driver, depending of the different scenarios (no device installed, some custom edge installed, custom dth, and more)

Pretty sure it will help us be prepare correctly

As I understand it (and hopefully someone will correct this if it’s wrong), it’s pretty straightforward.

Every Zigbee or zwave device has a “fingerprint,” information about the manufacturer code and model number, that it gives to the hub at the time that it is joined to the hub.

1. if your Z wave/Zigbee device currently uses a stock groovy DTH, it will be transitioned to a stock edge Driver with the same fingerprint

2. if your Z wave/Zigbee device currently uses a custom groovy DTH, it will be transitioned to a custom edge Driver with the same fingerprint if you have already installed that edge driver on your hub. If you have not installed any custom edge driver with that same fingerprint, it will be transitioned to a stock edge Driver with that same fingerprint.

3. if there are no edge drivers with a matching fingerprint, the system will attempt to pick a stock edge driver based on the capabilities of the device.

4. if you add a new zwave/Zigbee Device to your account after September 30 The system will still use the fingerprint. It will first look for a custom edge driver on your hub that matches that fingerprint. If there isn’t one, it will look for a stock edge driver that matches that fingerprint. If there isn’t one, it will try to find a stock edge driver with the same capabilities. And if there isn’t one of those, the device will just be added as a “thing.“

5. I don’t know what happens if you have more than one custom edge Driver on your hub with the same fingerprint. :thinking:

But again, that’s just my understanding based on what has been posted in the forum. Hopefully someone will correct any part of this that’s wrong.

6 Likes

Is IFTTT still going to work when Groovy stops?

Off topic, but ironically, they’re down for maintenance now. Kind of concerning that a paid service takes a 3 hour maintenance window where your Applets stop working. :grimacing:

1 Like

I manually readded/migrated most things that had custom dth to avoid the rollover. Rather have my lights (switches) working at least. If people want to install edge drivers from code, they can create a personal channel and publish to it from the smartthings cli. It’s like the web ide, but you have to to run things locally. The tutorial was mostly easy to follow.

I’m noticing that routines don’t alway trigger when I think they should. Hopefully that will be fixed sooner than later. The smartapps seem more reliable at the moment but they are disappearing sadly.

1 Like

Since IFTTT is a linked service not a SmartApp I am assume it will continue working.

I take it that means that an edge driver for MyQ hasn’t been developed as a replacement for your Groovy app then? If so that is definitely going to be painful as I use that all the time…

This was a great summation. This means if you have devices that are currently using community based groovy DTH then as long as there is a fingerprint to match, it will be converted but it might lose functionality based on what the stock edge driver supports. Correct?

1 Like

Yes, as far as I know. But that is only based what I have read in this forum, so hopefully someone who knows more than I do will be able to confirm or correct what I have written. :thinking:

1 Like

Ah, I disconnected it a while back. At the time it looked like all the other web Groovy SmartApps when I went to authorize devices.

Update: I just tried authorizing again this morning and it still looks like other Groovy SmartApps when I go to authorize things. :thinking:

I don’t think this will be supported in the migration to edge drivers. The dth required login/oauth and making remote api calls. I’m not sure if this is allowed in Lua. There’s a homebridge myq integration that might be portable if Lua is more capable than I think.

@mzp @d3fung

2 Likes

We can only hope that he’s able to get it up and running. Running the smartapp on a Pi doesn’t bother me as long as I can get it working.

Where do we report Edge drivers not responding correctly?

I tried notifying Samsung Support and was told all edge drivers are Beta and not supported.

I have an ikea color changing bulb that will not change the color correctly. I tried default Edge driver and custom driver zigbee Light multifunctional MC.

Stock driver turns random colors I hit purple it goes red.

Customer driver. No mater what color i select it stays white. Am I missing a setting?

Fully thing is the light blub it connect from smartthings to Alexa. She can turn the bulb the correct color.

Ikea Tradfri LED 1624G9 E26 8.6W 84mA

1 Like

That would be my assessment too. I don’t think we should expect anything more than something reasonable if we are using custom integrations. They are really our responsibility.

4 Likes

One of the big gotchas that Samsung/SmartThings is paving over right now is what happens to devices being used via Amazon’s Alexa and Google’s Home platform.

When you switch to the Edge driver devices on end platforms, there are two big gotchas.

1. With functionality missing, your routines running on those platforms will fail to work from missing dependencies.

2. From what I have seen, devices can end up being removed/re-added by Alexa. This means all of the setup you have working on Alexa, anything from routines to what devices are in what rooms, will dissapear.

SmartThings has worked for years as a platform which has allowed users to unite platforms, Samsung is about to flush all of that down the toilet.

If the forced march to Lua would have been a welcomed move, then it would have happened naturally and Samsung could have just let the Groovy platform fade into the night.

This obviously never happened. A quick look at Google Trends shows that Lua has been on life support for over a decade, with the only bump in interest occurring with Samsung’s push; Groovy on the other hand still trends at more then double what Lua does.

That being said, neither of these are likely to attract any developer interest.

The bigger question in all of this?

How much bad press will this migration create, and how much of a dip is it going to create in Samsung’s stock price?

3 Likes