The End of Groovy Has Arrived

Not going to be popular with the average ST user though

3 Likes

I’ve been packaging the smaller changes as updates to the drivers posted on GitHub/SmartThingsEdgeDrivers. I was going to test the process of providing pull requests to get those changes made as part of their mainline drivers. That way they are controlled/tested by ST and rollup for everyone to use. I’m not sure if they are actually taking pull requests for bug fixes or device signature additions at this point though. It’s worth a shot…

1 Like

I hope they do, but I have a feeling the project might go defunct after the initial launch and will be there as a reference mostly. Or receive infrequent updates.

Is there any easy way to see a list of the channels I am subscribed to and to unsubscribe easily? I mean - I can see the channels on the hub, but is there no way to view them in a browser and unsubscribe, like - easily?

Hit the wall with yet another device. I have by now faced some issues on about 50% of the device types I have tested.

The latest one is the Aeotec Nano Duo switch, a multi-component device with 2 switches built into one. It did include int the Zwave network, but as one switch. Turning it on turns both on at one go - rendering it useless in my case. I have 2 of these switches and now need to go back to the DTH to make use of it for another few weeks, before it goes to the wind. Or have to beg for a driver hoping it’s seen to. Sure the fingerprint is there and everything, but that’s not enough, and I wonder whether ST have sone any testing with the real thing.

I hate to imagine, once again, all the people who have not been on this site and are still unaware of upcoming changes. The morning after this change is going to be anything but smooth.

1 Like

Hi @martin.borg

You can try with official Aeotec edge drivers channel

Thank you Mariano… Already had that channel and already looked for a driver before my post or the Nano Duo, and they don’t have a specific driver.

Can’t imagine Aeotec selling Aeotec branded Smartthings hubs with which their own devices cannot connect, but we will see what happens. Will contact Aeotec and lay this at their feet.

2 Likes

Use the CLI. Smartthings edge:channels:enrollments .

See this list for commands:

2 Likes

Thank you, appreciate it!

So, another query, perhaps you or someone else know:

How do I list all the devices including their Zwave ID? Before I used to get that from the IDE, now there’s no way (unless you have a custom Edge Driver that shows it). I am facing an issue where during Zwave repair, I get a lot of errors such as “Network repair for device [4E]: Failed to update” followed by “Network repair for device [4E]: Failed to update route”, followed by for at least 4 devices (all without name), and I don’t know which devices it is referring to except that I do not see them in the IDE.

I have a suspicion that these are previous zwave IDs, but again, I do not know as I did not keep a copy of that table (should have, but did not).

Anyhow, for now, it would suffice if I could at least see how to find the Zwave ID from the CLI and I don’t see that in the Device List of the CLI. Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 Like

I’m curious…

For those creating custom Edge drivers who are openly posting their channels. How many members are currently subscribed?

I’m just trying to get an idea of how many people are proactively attempting to prepare their devices, before the great transition.

I hope those numbers are substantial, because going by my number of problematic devices, a lot of ST users will have a lot of problems come the great transition. (Just noticed that a Vision Security Tilt Sensor is remaining always open and generating a warning in the logs Z-Wave Sensor Attempted to generate event for 5fdd11aa-a0ba-4ede-86ce-c669eb880164.main but it does not support capability Motion Sensor) every time I open/close my garage door, and it remains always Open, and always Tampered. The devices I am facing an issue with were mostly supported through a stock DTH.

Not going to be an easy ride for those of us with older devices. And my guess is maybe a few thousand users have understood the repercussions of the change and bothered to prepare. Some (or perhaps many) will likely have no idea where to start.

3 Likes

Also new problems today: Pressing “Z-wave utilities” menu option on the app does nothing for me, and the other members of my family do not even get the option on the hub menu.

Tried going to Utilities from the IDE, got this page.

Then this when I clicked My Hubs:

Perhaps there’s some ongoing maintenance.

I wish there was a command that would show all of them at once, but the only way to do this is one by one. Run smartthings devices, find the number in the # column on the left that corresponds to the device you want (let’s say it’s 25), and then run smartthings devices 25. You can get even more details by adding the yaml (-y) or json (-j) flag, but most of the useful stuff shows up without it.

There’s no way to see a count, though supposedly that is planned, as well as various subscriber management functions to make it possible for developers to control access if they’re charging for the use of their drivers. Right now the closest thing to a count is probably the forum’s count of the number of times the channel invitation has been clicked.

Even if the device were working fine you’d still see that warning. Assuming you’re using the stock zwave-sensor driver, it’s set up to handle motion, tilt, contact, water leak, etc. sensors. When a z-wave command comes in (particularly a generic one like a Basic Report), it may match to multiple possible sensor types. The driver tries to generate an event for any capability that matches, and this warning will pop for any capability not in the device’s profile. The thing to investigate is why the correct capability isn’t being triggered (or why it isn’t being reset to closed/not tampered). I would start by looking to see if the device is actually sending a z-wave command to indicate it’s no longer in that state (and check the product manual for that info too). Some products don’t send an ‘all clear’, and instead expect the hub to assume that no event for x seconds means the event is clear.

3 Likes

Thanks. Thing is - it was flawless till this morning, and now I have no way of telling if garage door is open or closed. one less security feature, one less way to activate automations upon opening/closing. If the DTH had a way of telling perfectly when it was open or closed, why shouldn’t the Edge Driver? I am certain the sensor is sending something and I see it on the logs, both upon open as well as upon close.

Anyhow, let me not clutter this thread with a conversation about a single device. Perhaps I should refer it to ST support.

2 Likes

You can also do it in the app. Look on the Hub device > three Dots menu > Driver. Scroll to the bottom and you see the channels your hub is registered to. Tap the channel and it will open the link in a browser page that you can unenroll/enroll.

Yes - thank you, works for me!

Thanks @philh30 - I skipped this in my last reply. I tried this right now, but smartthings devices 25 actually gives me a list of devices and their GUID (I believe). I would like the reverse - I have a ZWave ID and want to find which device it belongs to. I am starting to suspect these are IDs left behind after multiple exclusions I did over the past days (some I had to force from the app as they wouldn’t exclude otherwise) - to the point that the Zwave repair log only shows the hex Zwave ID, but no device name.

The only function is to query by device and get its zwave id (shown as Network ID in the bottom z-wave section). There’s no option to query by zwave id. Note that the CLI will only show zwave id for Edge devices - you’ll need to use the Groovy IDE for DTH devices.

If you’re not seeing the zwave id when you run that command then you may have an older CLI version that requires you to use the -y or -j flag to see that level of detail. I’d suggest you just pull the newest CLI version though if you run into that.

To do a quick mass query for node 4E, you could:

• Run smartthings devices -y -o device_list.yml (this will export the device list with all details to a file in the current directory)
  • Open device_list.yml (Notepad is fine if you don’t have a more appropriate program)
  • Search for “networkId: 4E”
4 Likes

I think anyone who has went to the trouble of installing a custom device handler will know about the changes, surely?