The End of Groovy Has Arrived

Go to the menu on your hub device and looks at “Driver”. It shows drivers and channels

I tried to ask this in another thread before but give another try since relevant.

Do you see the stock edge drivers in the app somewhere in the app?
I can see only subscribed channels and installed community created edge drivers in my app (both for hubs and individual devices).
I have some new devices which apparently installed with stock edge drivers. I can’t see driver menu for these. Also for devices running with custom edge drives there is no option to change to stock drivers and back. Thus driver menu seems to include only drivers installed from subscribed channels?
Anyone has any clarification on this?

So if you are running a device that was installed with an Edge driver from the default channel you wouldn’t be able to change the driver at all because there isn’t even a ‘Driver’ menu for that device to start the process? That doesn’t seem as it should be.

And even if you could change from a default Edge driver to a custom Edge driver you wouldn’t be able to change back again because drivers installed from the default channel aren’t offered to you, only those from explicitly subscribed channels?

If I’ve got that right it sounds like an ‘eek, help please @nayelyz’ if ever I heard one.

1 Like

Yes, you got it. This is the behaviour I am experiencing.

No driver menu → not an Edge driver.

I would guess your new devices paired with the newer built-in local drivers, they are DTH based but run locally. But not Edge.

2 Likes

@TAustin has created an API browser and it offers the ability to see the installed drivers and list which devices, if any, are using that driver.

2 Likes

All stock drivers are not listed because they aren’t pre-installed, you need to install one directly from the Beta Channel or install a device that has a compatible driver in the default channel.

Did you check this in your Hub menu > Drivers?

I agree with the comment from @csstup. If you enter the IDE and you see a device type value different than “placeholder” in your device, it is using a DTH.
Currently, not all fingerprints are enabled for the default channel. You can check in this link (“production” branch of the repo) the configuration of the drivers in the default channel and verify if yours is enabled or not.

2 Likes

Yes, now it is apparent that my new device picked up a DTH instead of edge driver in the initial install.
When I install the same device with @Mariano_Colmenarejo driver installed to the hub, it prefers Mc driver and that is the only one I see in the app. Mc drivers are great for what I am doing.

1 Like

Yes, if you have a compatible driver installed it will take preference.
The order is currently:

1. Custom DTHs registered in your IDE (you can delete them to avoid them being selected
  2. Drivers installed in your Hub
  3. Drivers in the default channel

You just need to make sure that the one you need is compatible with your device (it has its fingerprints).

2 Likes

I would caution using this statement. I have a few devices that I removed and readded with edge drivers that still show as using a stock DTH in the IDE. They are in fact using edge drivers.

1 Like

@nayelyz, any updates on this issue?

Yes, it is not a temporary issue in the platform. The Groovy sunset is progressing faster than expected, and some things like this one have been pulled ahead. So, from now on, updating Groovy DTH or SmartApps won’t be possible.

2 Likes

Strongly disagree. We were using the ability to edit existing DTH’s to comment out the fingerprints.

In any case, it would have been nice to know that editing existing DTH’s was due to be disabled before it happened. I recall adding new DTH’s being removed being on the schedule, but not the editing of existing ones. Had I known this, I would have migrated ALL of my devices that were in this boat. I assumed I had more time.

:frowning:

6 Likes

Does this moving faster apply to migrating devices to Edge also? So far I have had a grand total of 1 device (a button) moved from the back end out of about 100. I did get about 10 using Edge when I onboarded them new over the past several months.

I am getting very anxious that we are a month beyond when it was supposed to start and a month and a half till the plug gets pulled with no way to really tell what will actually migrate and what won’t other than digging through fingerprints in code which doesn’t seem a reasonable ask. Can there be a date set ahead of the shut down (at least 2 weeks) that if by that point things haven’t moved, you are out of luck and start figuring it out on your own? I’d really rather not wake up on Jan 1 to find my house has imploded when all automation halts.

2 Likes

And here we go … just had four Z-wave light switches (no dimmers yet) migrate in the past four hours. A lot left to go, but it’s a start.

4 Likes

Pattern? Are they all the same type? Other devices of the same type still DTH?

My hub is offline. Just out of the blue (lol, pun intended), showing as offline in the app. However, router still has it connected. Internet is good. It’s not on my end. Has anyone else been put offline while their devices were migrated? IDE still shows hub status as active.

1 Like

All Honeywell Z-Wave Plus switches. I’d have to dig a bit to figure out if those are all of that particular switch I have. Other similar switches (GE, Jasco) using the same DTH have not migrated as yet.

1 Like

Why is ST being so secretive about the migration? It would be nice if they announce the migration schedule so we can all check to make sure everything has migrated properly.

2 Likes

I picture its a person somewhere running batch jobs one at a time. If they fail, they can come back to them at their leisure without anyone knowing. They must not have built much of an infrastructure for customer pre or post notification either since its all one-offs and won’t be used again once Edge is 100%.

2 Likes