The cheapest GU10 ZigBee Light-Link bulbs around !?!

I get on well with noth landlord/agent but its high ends apartments and they are very very fussy about stuff been tampered with even if its for the better (annoying) one of my best mates is an electrician aswell… Im half tempted to go down the switch route to be fair now and amend back once i leave…

Is there any UK STYLE dimmer smart switches even available though ??? Theybseem to be american, the only way round is with stuff like fibaros dimmer modukes but the walls and holes aint big enough to hold them aswell as the unsmart uk dimmer switches - do you know of any all in one modules?

Ps: @Savij everything i read about them bulbs says they are cheap but they dont turn off properly using smartthings or hue setups inly the app they came with due to dodgy transition errors (do you know otherwise)

Hi @AutomateEverything what was your solution? I’m having the same problem living in the Netherlands.

Osram Lightify now offers a GU10 in Europe, typically around €30.

LifX made some GU10s, but they seem to be hard to find, I don’t know if they’ve been discontinued.

So right now, it looks like your choices are Hue RGBW, LIGHTIFY White only, or an adapter, maybe with a Hue white only bulb.

Guys, out of curiosity would the lightify white work with smartthings UK version. I noticed that osrams are supported in the US version but I cant find them in the list of “things” in the UK version.

If yes - would I need an osram hub or can I connect to smartthings directly?

Osram Lightify Downlight

Thanks
Chris

You definitely don’t need the gateway – – it doesn’t integrate with smartthings. The bulbs get connected directly to the smartthings hub instead.

(Well, we should say that some people also get the gateway just so they can do firmware up date to the bulbs, but that process requires removing the bulbs from the SmartThings network, connecting them to the gateway network, doing the firmware upgrade, and then moving them back to the SmartThings network. But you don’t need to Gateway in every day use. )

1 Like

For questions about which Lightify models work, ask the people in the following topic:

@drchris I’m in UK, and just bought 3 Lightify tunable white GU10 bulbs, with no Lightify gateway. Paired to ST hub fine.

@AutomateEverything did you get sorted? My house has probably another 30-40 GU10 and I don’t want to spend all on that, in fact I’d prefer a smart wall switch, so if wife turns it off ST can still control it, whereby at the moment if she turns off this wall switch where the bank of Lightify bulbs are, ST can’t do anything.

and thanks again to @JDRoberts whose helped me.

So is there a wall switch for UK that can replace our normal UK wiring, looped in live, that is ST compatible yet?

Thanks

2 Likes

Im opting to dononly mood lighting with HUE now and all the main light switches im moving to LWRF now that @adamclark_dev has created a fast and realiable integration for ST & LWRF lighting - as there is no uk solution for smart switches yet that doesnt require a neutral that most of us dont have…

Apparently there is though…
Just trying to confirm and check wiring details etc…

Thats a behind switch module useless for shallow back boxes or people renting property…

Suppose, I’m hoping it may be answer for me though as cheaper and easier, keeps existing wall switch (wife happy!), even if switched off can still be controlled by ST. Cheaper than filling all my fitting with smart bulbs.

I’m hoping that although my back box is shallow, if needed I can hang it down the plaster wall recess…

You will need to purchase a rocker seitch for each light switch you hook up to these as they dont work great with normal on/off :slight_smile:

Reading the thread there’s a parameter you change to enable it to work with normal on/off I thought, so won’t have to change the wall switch

Ive fitted several for several people, i can assure you the best way to eliminate issues is a rocker style switch - no/off normal switches tend to piss about with it and u find urself having to turn it on and off really quick to turn it down or same to do on . . .

Also no way to dim woth just on/off

I think that’s EXACTLY what @R2D2 wanted!

Rather than create a new thread…

Same question, but colour bulbs? I have a nasty feeling its Phillips Hue or nothing.

Cheapest colour zigbee GU10 bulbs are normally the Osram RGBW GU10 bulbs. They are cheaper and smaller than the hue bulbs.

The cheapest I’ve found are from here: http://www.reichelt.com/OSR-99947252/3/index.html?ACTION=3&LA=446&ARTICLE=159780&artnr=OSR+99947252&SEARCH=lightify+gu10

Price was a little better before the brexit vote.

1 Like

Oo. Never spotted those before! Thanks!

1 Like

Hi,

I am a bit new to home automation and I just have to ask an off-topic question here since you recommended that light strip solution you are using.

What 20m BOG-standard led strip would you suggest buying that works with the “Dresden FLS-PP Module”? Since Im new i’m not entirely sure what would work.

Would this solution work together?

I currently use philips hue but need like 18m of led strips (living room roof) and dont wanna pay like $500+ for that.

So would really appreciate links to what you would recommend buying that will work well together with my HUB.

Thanks to anyone with any answer that helps! :slight_smile: