Switching SmartThings v3 hub connected via ethernet from Verizon Fios G3100 router to a CR1000A router

Hello - I have a SmartThings v3 hub connected via ethernet that I spent the last week (over 40 hours) setting up with about 25 devices (note this included trying to associate two switches to one another (Accessory vs. Master) which I have yet to solve).

I was just given a free Verizon Fios CR1000A router from Verizon to replace my existing Verizon Fios G3100 router that I purchased myself. Benefit of the CR1000A is that it has Wi-Fi 6e.

I’m wondering if it is worth the hassle to swap out the routers. My plan was to make the CR1000A Name and Password the same as my G3100 so that all my connected Wi-Fi devices would automatically connect to the new router (at least that was my theory/hope). Since the SmartThings v3 hub is connected via ethernet, my hope was that I could just plug it into the CR1000A and it would start working with my existing z-wave network of 25 devices.

My history of tinkering has taught me that my “hope” is most likely not reality. Worst case scenario/fear is that all my devices need to be excluded and re-added. When I decide that is not worth the hassle and plug back in the old G3100, somehow the SmartThings hub no longer recognizes it and I need to start all over again.

This post is to test the water to see how crazy I am for even considering making this change for potential small benefit of upgrading to from WiFi 6 to WiFi 6e for my wireless devices. Note I only have a few 6e devices at the moment, but overtime I suspect that will increase.

Make sure the IP range offered by your new router matches the old (in case you have any statically assigned IP addresses) and it should be fine. You’ve already covered thd items that bite most people.

2 Likes

Plugging in your ST hub to a new router with an Ethernet cable should work with no problems. I have done it more that once with no problems.

As for WiFi if you make the Name and Password the same everything should reconnect with no problems. Again I have done this more than once.

3 Likes

I recently did what you’re anticipating. Not the same router model numbers but a router upgrade nonetheless.

v2 hub was connected via Ethernet and it connected without issue.

I kept the SSID and pw the same, and all the wireless devices rejoined without issue.

So as the others have said, you’ll likely have no issue.

3 Likes

Thanks all for the advice. One follow-up question to this…upon further research, it looks like my G3100 is actually only 5G capable. On the CR1000A there is an option to enable 6G, but when I click on it, it gives a warning that enabling 6G forces 2.4GHz devices to use a WP3 encryption. All my Z-wave devices are WP2. It recommends connecting 2.4GHz devices to the 2.4GHz IoT network.

I did a bit of googling and it looks like there is a known firmware issue that causes the router to drop the 2.4GHz band, making IoT Devices go offline. See reddit link below:

(2) CR1000A 2.4GHz Issues : Fios (reddit.com)

The workaround is to disable 6G ! See I told you my historical tinkering has taught me valuable life lessons…unfortunately the hard way.

My question is (and this may be a dumb question)…does any of this matter since I plan to connect the SmartThings hub via ethernet? I suspect it would still be a potential issue?

ZWave has nothing to do with wifi… Are you thinking S2?

So no, the ethernet connected hub doesn’t care.

What @nathancu said.

Plus, I’m pretty sure the poster in the Reddit thread was referring to WiFi (not zWave) devices going offline when the 2.4G band went out.

1 Like

while z-wave does not use WiFI, there are plenty of wifi devices that connect to 2.4 and need wpa2 such as Meross, tp-link kasa, august, bond, and others :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah yes got it. Makes sense. And yes you are right. I am confusing WP2 and WP3 with S2

Yes that is a good point. In fact I think the dishwasher that I just connected today uses 2.4GHz Wifi (albeit it is a new model so probably also compatible with 5GHz)