Switching routers on SmartThings Mesh Wifi

I bought a new router and want my SmartThings Mesh Wifi Hub to use this new network. How do i switch the networks without having to reset the device? I don’t just switch ethernet cables, do i?

Thanks so much.

I’m not understanding the question…and I think it is because your are using two terms interchangeably, and that is Wifi Access Point and Router. You currently have a router which also functions as your WiFi access point, correct? You have a Samsung Wifi mesh that you want to add but you want to use your current router as a router and not use the router built into the Samsung Wifi? Do you also want to continue to use the Wifi provided by the Router/Access Point you currently have or do you want to shut that off? Or do you want to switch to using the Router in your Samsung Wifi mesh?

When you say “router” do you really mean “modem” instead?

Switch which network? Reset what device? The router? Modem? Access Point? Some wifi device that is connected to your network? Need more detailed description of what you are talking about or trying to accomplish.

Any device using your Wifi won’t have an ethernet cable. What ethernet cable are you talking about? Are you talking about the one from your MODEM to the ROUTER?

1 Like

No. I have the Samsung Smartthings WiFi Mesh Router. I also have a router without a WiFi access point. It’s a router only; I’m using the Smartthings WiFi Mesh Router as my WiFi access point. I have a new router without WiFi that I want to use with my Smartthings WiFi Mesh Router. That’s my question; how do I switch routers? Just switch the Ethernet cable running into the Smartthings Mesh Router from the old router with the new one?

Samsung Smartthings WiFi Mesh Router: ET-WV525BWEGUS

Router: Ariss Surfboard SB8200

Thank you

1 Like

A WiFi router is not the same as an Ethernet router. And a WiFi Access Point is different yet again. Specifically, a Wi-Fi access point is missing some of the router functions, including a firewall and a DHCP server.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/convert_wifi_router_to_access_point.htm

The smartthings WiFi router can function as just an access point, not a router, when it is in “bridge mode“, which means connected to a network established by another router.

/

Back to the original question… You are correct in that you can’t just switch cables if you’re smartthings hub is in bridge mode. Your Smartthings hub, acting as a wireless access point, Has to sign into the network established by the new router.

If you have the model that uses plume, you have to change the network settings there.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001266166-How-to-change-the-SmartThings-Wifi-network-name-or-password

On The other hand, @Ryan780 is correct in that your use of terminology is somewhat confusing. In your first post, you said you had a router. In that case you would have been using your Samsung smartthings hub in bridge mode. But then you said that your new device is the Ariss Surfboard SB8200, and that’s a modem, not a router. Which as Ryan explained operates differently.

In that case, the surfboard does not establish a network, so you would not be using your Samsung device in bridge mode and you could indeed just plug it in without changing the software configuration.

Do you happen to know the model number of your previous device? Was it also just a modem or was it in fact a router?

In either case, you can check the plume software settings. The short answer is going to be that if your smartthings hub is set up in bridge mode (as described at the support link I already posted), then you’ll have to change the network settings so it can instead act as a full router.

If it was previously set up as a full router, then you’re fine, just move the cables to the new modem.

(And in the future, As @Ryan780 mentioned, make sure you describe the surfboard as a “modem,“ not as a “router,” to avoid additional confusion. :sunglasses:)

I don’t understand. All I want to do is hook up my Arris Surfboard Modem to SmartThings Wifi Mesh. Right now I have an old modem connected to my SmartThings WiFi Mesh and i want to switch it. How can I?

Thanks

If your old device was also just a modem, not a router, you just move the cable over to the new modem. :sunglasses:

Modem doesn’t equal router…which is why I asked the question in the first place.

This is not a router…it is a modem.

1 Like

Right. That’s why I wrote “All I want to do is hook up my Arris Surfboard Modem to SmartThings Wifi Mesh”.

Thanks anyways

No, actually, you didn’t. You said:

And you said:

But if you want to keep arguing that you were 100% clear, by all means, please, keep going.

1 Like

I look forward to reviewing this customer support. And i did write that; just someone else answered it. Please review all correspondence with the customer before engaging.

Thank you.

JDRoberts
Helpful
April 20

notspen:
I don’t understand. All I want to do is hook up my Arris Surfboard Modem to SmartThings Wifi Mesh. Right now I have an old modem connected to my SmartThings WiFi Mesh and i want to switch it. How can I?

Thanks

If your old device was also just a modem, not a router, you just move the cable over to the new modem. :sunglasses:

Just to be clear: this forum is not an official support channel. It was set up about six years ago so customers could help other customers. :sunglasses::blush:Almost everyone here, including myself and Ryan, are just other customers. There are a few staff members who sometimes participate: their icons will say “staff member.”

So please don’t hold Samsung responsible for anything that regular community members say here, or vice versa! LOL!

You can reach the official support at the following:

Ah. Understood. I thought it was.

1 Like