Connect SmartThings WiFi Mesh to existing wireless Router

Good Morning All,
Complete Novice here.

Just purchased Samsung SmartThings Wifi system with Smart home hub.

Currently have a cable modem with Cat5 running to a wireless router.

Wireless router also has Four “Out” ports, two of which have Cat5 cables running out of them to provide hardwired internet to two work computers.

I purchased this mesh system instead of purchasing multiple “extenders” to place around the house, but I am not sure this was the best option.

So, here is my problem.

I can’t “Replace” my current wireless Router with the Samsung SmartThings Wifi-hub and plug it directly into my Modem because the hub only has ONE “Out” port and I would like to have both of my work computers Hard Wired for internet.

So, I thought I’d keep my current Router and use one of the two remaining “Out” ports to provide internet to the Mesh Hub. However, when I do this the SmartThings App says it can not detect the Hub, even though the hub is blinking red and green.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

William

I’m not sure that the end result is going to be exactly what you want, but you should be able to put the Samsung device into “bridge mode“ and then connect to the existing Wi-Fi.

Your Samsung model has plume, right?

The following official support page has instructions for multiple Samsung models. Choose the “SmartThings WiFi” to see the instructions for models with plume.

One more thing to be aware of while you are probably still in the return period…

The Samsung Wi-Fi mesh systems are unusual in that they can only work when you have an active Internet connection. That is not true of most Wi-Fi mesh systems, such as eero or ubiquity: those will be able to continue to run a local Wi-Fi network even without Internet. But with the Samsung systems, if the Internet goes out, the Wi-Fi also goes off.

That may not matter to you, but it does affect some people who are running local Wi-Fi applications like apple’s HomeKit. So it’s just something to be aware of since it is unusual to have this limitation in a Wi-Fi mesh system. :thinking:

Also, Samsung has decided to stop manufacturing smartthings branded hardware. They have signed up partner companies from multiple regions for many of their hub models, but so far no one for the Wi-Fi mesh systems. They haven’t officially announced that it is “end of life” but it already is several firmware updates behind the other hub models and no promises that it will continue to operate in the future.

So speaking just for myself, personally, I would not be buying this model at this time, at least until they have found a hardware partner for it.

Announcement | Changes to our Legacy SmartThings Platform
An Update Regarding our Hardware

1 Like

Thank you for the response.

Yes, (to my knowledge) this model does have plume.

However, the resource link you provided isn’t giving me much help.

I opened the link, selected the radio button for Bridge Mode with SmartThings Wifi and tried to follow the steps, but I didn’t get past step 1.
Open SmartThings on your phone. Tap Menu (the three horizontal lines), and then tap All devices . Select your SmartThings Wifi Hub from the list of devices.

• I don’t have a “All Devices” within the “Menu” tab.
  • When I do go to “All Devices” (found elsewhere) there is not a SmartThings Wifi Hub for me to select because I have not been able to get the app to establish a connection with the hub.

Maybe I need to disconnect my current router from the modem and connect the SmartThings router into the modem just to establish the connection and allow me to access the hub from my app in order to put it in Bridge Mode?

Well, when I said “I just purchased”, I guess I was a little off. It was more than 30 days ago, so it looks like I am stuck with the product

Which kind of stinks in-light of your comments above.

This may have been an expensive mistake.

I’m sorry, I don’t know anything more than just that this question has come up in the past and people referenced the support article. (I’m just another customer)

You can try getting in touch with support or hope somebody who does have that same model see your topic and replies with more helpful information.

It may take a couple of notes back-and-forth with support before you get somebody who knows enough to help you. The initial contact just goes to the general Samsung support line and if they don’t find the answer in one of their Scripts, they May just give you answers that don’t make much sense, like telling you to uninstall the app and reinstall it. Just tell them that you need to know how to put the device into bridge mode and that will give them something to look up.

You should be able to connect the port on the mesh device to an inexpensive Ethernet switch. My eero mesh device is connected that way for the same reason.

1 Like

very good point… If the only reason for wanting to keep the original Wi-Fi router is that more ports were needed, an ethernet switch would be a quick and easy solution. :sunglasses:

You can definitely add additional ports by using an ethernet switch. Also sometimes called an “ethernet splitter.“ there are lots of these available for under $20. Here’s a typical one, but there are many more.

So if that was the only reason for the OP‘s post, then the splitter would be a great answer.

That said, while this is an easy way to get a couple of extra ports to connect things which require an ethernet connection, it’s not that simple when what you’re trying to add is a second Wi-Fi router.

Many residential ISPs only offer you one external address, and the others will require you to register the second router. And even then, there are a number of configuration changes you have to do to make sure the two routers are not using the same subnet mask.

So it may be doable, but it gets complicated. In general, just bridging the Samsung device so it can share the same Wi-Fi network will solve most of the use cases people are trying to solve if they don’t want to get rid of their original Wi-Fi network. But if you are trying to set up a second network all together, then that’s a different issue. :thinking:

So it just comes down to the details. But again, good point: if the only reason the OP didn’t want to replace the original Wi-Fi network was that they didn’t have enough ports, a splitter would be the way to go.

1 Like