Sunset Automation Stopped Working

Because if you look at my prior screenshot, the system variable for $nextScheduledTime is invalid. Because a lot of my routines run off of the $nextSunrise or $nextSunset where x = $nextSunset minus 15 minutes etc. So, while you are correct that they are independent in terms of time values, theyre most definitely not independent of the hub itself. The Smartthings documentation itself says the hub location via zip code is used to determine sunrise and sunset times.

My morning routine is a hardcoded time and it doesnt run either ironically enough.

These things have not worked since 6/17 which coincides with the outage on 6/17. My 5:45am routine was run then and has not run since, and every other time based routine is in the same state of not operating.

I am not saying there isn’t an issue with sunrise and sunset scheduling, I’m just indicating it isn’t related to hub firmware or the hub itself. It may feel like an unnecessary detail but location, timezone, and Weather Station (which schedules sunrise/sunset) are cloud based and separate from the physical Hub.

If you look at the automations that aren’t triggering in the IDE, do Job History and Scheduled Jobs look correct? You should see a Scheduled Job matching the next sunset event.

Edit: We found the issue and it should resolve the automation executions for most if not all of you in this thread.

2 Likes

That matches my logs, too. The 17th is also the same day that I had my hub go offline briefly and after that a couple simple ‘turn off/on at xx:xx’ routines that have worked for many months suddenly stopped working.

Good news! Thanks, hopefully all will be back to normal tonight.

1 Like

I’m seeing improvement as of now, AM pacific time.

Care to explain what’s was found? I’m curious because you mention Sunset, but some of my (now working!) automations has nothing to do with that.

I can confirm my automations (which have been half working or not working at all since last week) are now working as they previously were

1 Like

So far all automations have been firing. Thanks Brad!

1 Like

There was a misconfiguration for one of the schedulers which impacted sunrise/sunset and specific timed events.

1 Like

My well established Hello Home SmartApp routines to switch Mode based on sunrise and sunset still don’t work. There are no scheduled jobs in the IDE under each Routine. The Job History shows the routines last running on 6/18.

Update: I found the Weather Station app in the IDE and clicked the Update link, and may have had to Start it as well
 it shows a scheduled event for sunriseHandler and sunsetHandler. But my two routines still don’t show a scheduled event. I guess I’ll see what happens in the morning.

Update: Instead of waiting, I tried removing the sunrise automation from the routine and saving it through the Smartthings App, then adding it back to the routine and saving. The IDE still showed no scheduled job. (I was sure to refresh the browser.) Then I modified the routine to use a 5 minute offset and saved via the Smartthings app. The IDE now shows a scheduled event for tomorrow morning. I added an offset to my sunset routine as well and it now shows a scheduled event too.

I can confirm my original problem was resolved. Looks like it failed on 6/22 but I got an update around 11:30am MT on 6/23 that seems to have resolved the problem (worked on 6/23 and 6/24).

Today I switched the routine from an automation in the Classic App to a Routine in the new App (which worked tonight).

Hello All,

I am confirming that, my Sunset and Sunrise automation started to work and all are working as expected