Successful Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Installation

FWIW I’ve learned that these require a much stronger signal than any of my other zigbee devices, even with the antenna outside of the canopy. I’ve also learned that the fan rotating interferes with the zigbee signal, so it would work when the fan was off, but disconnect when the fan was on. Eventually solved this by placing a Tradfri plug on top of a bookshelf to act as a repeater with line of sight to the antenna over the fan blades.

I hope this is true. I bought a couple of the wall mount kits not knowing only the remote kits have the Zigbee controller. I’ll replace my controllers tomorrow and try again. :smile:

Has anyone had issues with adding the Zigbee objects to scenes afterwards? I’ve found that recently every time I add either the fan or light to a scene, the scene exits on the classic app and reverts back to the scene list. However, I’m able to add either the fan or light to an automation, and that works just fine.

Is there a way to hard wire these in-wall remotes to 110v AC? It would be great to not have to worry about batteries.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Universal-Ceiling-Fan-Wireless-Wall-Control-68109/205846346

Yep, same trouble here.

I’m sure it’s technically possible, but don’t know if there’s a reasonable way to do it that would be compliant with building codes.

Update: all three of my installations no longer respond to commands from my hub. Also, the remote have a weird glitch where the lights go off when the fan hits Level 3. I haven’t tried to remediate it in any way so far. It was nice while it lasted.

Do you have zigbee repeaters in the rooms that these fans are located? It’s pretty much a must. The radios in the controllers are extremely weak. I have a fan 20 feet from my hub and it requires a repeater. Others have needed repeaters for fans that were mere feet from the hub. Lots of discussion about this in the main thread for the Hampton Bay controller.

As for hard wiring the wall remote. In the main thread for the Hampton bay device is a post where someone used a small power supply that fit within the switch box. He purchased the supply from Amazon. I don’t remember the specifics but would imagine you would have to solder some leads to the remote to attach to the supply. As long as the supply was in-wall rated, I would think it would be ok. DISCLAIMER: I’m not an electrician or knowledgeable on current building codes so I could be completely wrong about this.

Found the post with the wired AC to DC transformer, thanks! Here’s a linkback for others to find it as well:

@acjohnson55 agreed on the zigbee repeaters in each room. I am currently using these however they’re stupid expensive now given a new version is out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073GV2PQY/

1 Like

I’m sure you figured this out by now, but you probably should have read the manual. The controller isn’t four-speed. It has a “breeze” setting that is position four and it randomly changes the fan speed randomly. 1=low, 2=med, 3=high, 4=breeze NOT med.

This is not quite correct… The Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan Controller has 4 speeds (Low, Medium-Low, Medium, High) + the Breeze setting. I have the device and just cycled through all of the speed settings + Breeze. Whether or not the DTH you’re using supports all of the speeds in ST is another matter completely. I can adjust all 4 fan speeds + Breeze mode with the included RF remote as well as my Hubitat hub where it is currently paired.

3 Likes

i have two of them and it’s three speed and breeze. Does your remote have more than four green lights? I never paid attention to the four buttons in the app as i voice control everything. The remote definitely only has three speeds.

There are different versions, with 3 or 4 speed remotes

1 Like

My remote has 4 speeds, as shown above in the photo on the left. I have tested it and verified that there are indeed four speeds. When Breeze is selected, the fan speed randomly cycles through the various speeds.

The remote control above in the photo on the right is for the Non-Zigbee Fan controller. Some users bought that unit just for the wall-mounted remote control, and use it with the Zigbee Fan Controller. That remote looks to only have three speeds.

You are wrong about that. Both remotes are just radio remotes. They control zigbee receiver pictures below

. White antenna is zigbee antenna.
Both remotes can connect to the same receiver. One is hand held other is wall mounted. Both are battery powered devices

I don’t think so… :wink: Yes, I agree that both remotes use the same RF communications to canopy modules. My point is that the handheld remote comes with the Zigbee fan controller only. The wall-mounted remote comes with the non-zigbee fan controller.

The Hampton Bay ZIGBEE Fan Controller comes only with the hand-held 4-button remote control shown above in the left hand photo.

Check out the Home Depot link below and you’ll see that this model comes with the Zigbee + RF Fan Controller Module.

Whereas the wall mountable Remote control (right-hand picture above) is bundled with a NON-Zigbee Fan Controller module. It only does RF. Note the missing white antenna in the images for its canopy module.

1 Like

You are right about that wall mounted comes with non zigbee controller that you can toss away. Switch both remotes to same rf channel that matches zigbee controller, and they both control same zigbee controller. How do I know? I have them. Search through forum, and you find post from about year ago

1 Like

BTW guys try this device handler
https://github.com/rafaelborja/SmartthingsKingOfFansZigbee 9

1 Like

If this DTH works well with the new app you should start a new thread stating that and pointing to the handler.

It might help the Wink refugees in their search through all of these Hampton Bay threads.

Just a thought.

2 Likes

@ogiewon Can you comment if the wall mount remote requires neutral?