Status Page Resolutions

If this is the case, why did I get an email that the SHM issues have been “Resolved”?

1 Like

The email I received did not say “resolved”. It says

we have been actively working on ways to improve the stability of SmartThings, and more specifically, Smart Home Monitor.

The status page update says “resolved” only because that’s the verbage used in the page. If you actually read the message attached to it you will notice it doesn’t say everyone is back to running 100% perfectly:

New Incident Status: Resolved

We have addressed performance issues with Smart Home Monitor and are resolving the current incident. We realize that some users are still experiencing trouble related to broader platform reliability and we are working to improve overall performance.

Read the subject line

[SmartThings status] Resolved : Smart Home Monitor Issues

How does the following e-mail NOT say ‘resolved’?

From: support=smartthings.com@notifications.statuspage.io [mailto:support=smartthings.com@notifications.statuspage.io] On Behalf Of support@smartthings.com
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 4:06 PM
Subject: [SmartThings status] Resolved : Smart Home Monitor Issues

Smart Home Monitor Issues

Incident Report for SmartThings

New Incident Status: Resolved
We have addressed performance issues with Smart Home Monitor and are resolving the current incident. We realize that some users are still experiencing trouble related to broader platform reliability and we are working to improve overall performance.
Apr 14, 18:05 EDT

You might want to read the actual content of the message, though… It’s only called ‘Resolved’ because that’s the only way to close the issue on the status page.

2 Likes

“Resolved” is unfortunately the only status we can provide when we close an incident for the status page. It’s not ideal, but we do try to give a good explanation for the “resolution” and explain why we closed the incident.

I totally understood that part.
The part I’m confused about is, in a situation where this (SHM) has been so problematic for so long, when you think you’ve come up with a solution, why count it as resolved right away?

Seems like it should remain an open and pending issue that would only get changed to a ‘Resolved’ state AFTER it has been long enough to find out (from the Community) whether or not it actually ‘Resoved’ the problem.

I have seen this in most places I have worked, and it’s confusing. Why ‘Resolve’ the case in the case management system before getting confirmation that it’s actually resolved from the users that originally reported the problem? I know ‘everybody does it’, but I’m still confused as to why.

If some users are still affected, it’s not resolved. Issue closed = Resolved. Issue Open = Not Resolved. There is different magnitudes/severity/impact level, but resolved is extremely misleading. I just think it’s quick after a month of problems to mark the issue resolved waiting less than 24 hours after a platform update.

That being said, I am sure you guys are burnt and your job is not easy and I appreciate the effort to communicate .

1 Like

Why wouldn’t you just publish ANOTHER update message that work is still ongoing?! A resolved status would indicate, oh I don’t know, that maybe the issue is resolved! SHM is still broken yet the Status website indicates there is no issues. :grimacing:

@slagle can we create a new topic for the Status Page update, so we can keep this thread for what is meant? Or rather specifically about the ST efforts to regain trust of code slingers that make this platform awesome!

2 Likes

Yep, I’ll do that, thanks for the suggestion @SBDOBRESCU!

2 Likes

So let me ask it this way: what change was put in today that justified changing the status of the problems?

So this was more about stating things are back to “normal”. Now when I say normal, I mean back to what it was before this whole thing happened. This is not to say we have thrown in the towel and think everything is hunky-dory. We have very clear and deliberate plans to rectify the “normalness” of both the platform and SHM.

Alex is very committed to making sure we earn your trust back from every angle. It’s not going to be overnight, but I do believe everyone will begin to see iterative improvements over time starting in the very near term.

Understood. Maybe I was the only one that had a functional SHM back when things were “normal”?

I’m not trying to be s jerk, but aren’t you basically saying that yes the last month the platform has been very broken, and now, after a month of hard work and opaque transparency we are just back to a less broken than it’s been platform.

Kind of reminds me of furniture store prices… Regular price of 99.00 in Jan, New price in Feb… 199.00. On sale in March for 159.00. Closeout sale in April of 129.00.

But look, it’s not a great price, but it’s better than it wss last month!

Ok, I guess that is kind of jerky… But come on… Week after week of awesome new changes and all you did was turn off what you turned on to break it in the first place?

I bet a really valuable lesson was learned, finally…

NEW POLICY

No new updated with a verified reversal method!

Let me be the first to say, thanks for giving us exactly what we already had.

1 Like