Starting out.... need advice please

Looking at going with:
Classic ST hub v2
Hue v2
ST multi sensor for garage door open/close sensing.

1. Should I go with the previous generation ST sensors in a Samsung SmartThings Home Monitoring Kit F-MN-KIT-US-2 or go with the newest ST sensors purchased separate with v2 hub? Any main differences in the old vs newer sensor quality?

2. ST classsic app or new app? Can I use newest app to configure ST multi sensor as a garage door sensor, or do I need to use classic app for configuring?

Thanks for any insight.

There may be some differences, but I personally don’t use ST sensors. The Iris sensors will work just as well, especially for sensing your garage door position. Personally I like the form factor of the Iris sensors compared to ST’s.

In all honesty, I’d use the Classic app for everything. Unless you have a Samsung appliance that requires the new app, stick with Classic. It will save you a lot of frustrations with device functionality, the ever present “disconnected” device state in the new app, and installing and configuring SmartApps and devices.

Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

I would second the IRIS sensors, my ST sensors would die at 66-67% and not report anything until I replace the batteries whereas my IRIS sensors are showing 52% and still chugging along currently (should probably order batteries for it). But definitely V2 hub, if you have the ethernet port.

On your second one I would use the classic app, welcome to the worm hole!

3 Likes