ST presence sensors fail when used with ActionTiles or WebCore

For about the past 6 months, my new style presence sensor just flat out fails work. It’s a new style sensor, but my wife’s old style (egg shaped) sensor works just fine. If I press the internal reset button on the sensor with the ST hub in ADD THING mode, it connects just fine and seems to work for a while, then fails again. ST support says it’s not on their end and is Essentially blaming it on ActionTiles or WebCore.

Anyone else with those third party apps have this issue…or know how to resolve it?

Do you mean that the presence sensor continues to function normally within the ST mobile app, but doesn’t update correctly in actiontiles or webcore?

Nope. Never had an issue with the “SmartThings Arrival Sensors”. ActionTiles and WebCoRE installed as well.

Sounds like your wife has the old “SmartSense Presence Sensor” - Gen 1

1 Like

Negative. It stops working entirely.

Yes, she does have the gen 1sensor.

It’s possible that the battery is on its last legs. It may be strong enough to initially add it, but not strong enough to continually check in and goes out to lunch. When was the last time it was replaced?

About a week ago, per ST’s support request. I’d be very surprised if it’s the battery.

I should add, I bought a new sensor (to replace the one I thought was shot) and this new one is doing the same thing…again, all in the past 6 months. I don’t think it’s the devices…

The one you recently bought, what brand of battery did you replace it with?

How long after re adding it, does it end up reporting offline again? When it happens, have you gone into IDE and looked at the actual status of it?

Before you throw them out the window, I would replace both of the Gen 2 devices with the exact Panasonic battery that it came with to see of you continue to have issues. Most likely have to order online as a lot of stores don’t care Panasonic CR2032.

I had purchased an Energizer to replace mine and those don’t seat under the lid appropriately (had to secure it with a rubber band lol). It’s possible that the battery is slightly unseated causing it to go offline until you re add.

Alright, I’ll give it a shot. Usually I use Duracell I think. I’ll order a Panasonic.

Cool. If either of the devices then begin fail again after a while, then you can rule battery out of the whole equation.

Another thought - Do you have Device Health turned off?

Speaking of batteries, you may get a kick out of this guy’s battery collection/usage (open thread below to see pic). Was from a long time ago, so he could probably update the pic with more batteries:

1 Like

Device health is and has been on…

Turn it off and leave it off and see if it makes a difference.

Do this and test for a period of time before replacing batteries. So many whacky things have happened for people and their devices going offline with Device Health on over the last 6 months or so.

1 Like

I turned off device health and saw no change. It wouldn’t even reset as it had before. I got some Panasonic batteries and put a new one in…leave device health off…it recognized it and has been acting appropriately for about 6 hours. We’ll give it a few days and see…I’m cautiously optimistic, but I’ve gotten this far before…we’ll see!

1 Like

LOL. What on earth does it have to do with ActionTiles or WebCore? Are they also blaming it on global warming?

SmartThings support has a history of blaming random things on unrelated apps.

3 Likes

It was so far out of left field when I saw it in the post that I totally dismissed it and didn’t even bother mentioning it back to the OP.

However, what we do know from this is that the SmartThings Support staff are most likely not being drug screened prior to their employment. :grin:

1 Like

That’s why I asked the above question :grin:.

IMHO It would be utter nonsense to blame any issues on these smartapps unless the problem only occurs when using them.

OP might consider editing the topic title. From what he has described, the presence sensors fail, period.

1 Like

I’d edit the title if it weren’t true. I’ve been a heavy user with ST (over 150 devices and multiple outside integrations) for several years. This is not my first rodeo, and usually I’m able to fix these issues on my own. This one is weird, which is why I posted for help.

To reiterate, in case I was unclear (or you just decided you must know better): the presence sensor can be reset manually, and if it’s not being used by anything but ST it will work fine. However, when it’s integrated into ActionTiles or WebCoRE, it fails.

Questions?

I merely asked for a clarification.

It sounded like based on your response the issue is not specific to actiontiles or webcore. Then @WB70 brought up a few other reasonable considerations, like the type of battery and device health.

Perhaps I misunderstood all along.

Either way, there doesn’t seem to be any reason to attack those that are trying to help.

Have a nice night.

1 Like