[ST Edge] Issues with multi-component devices and third-party integrations

I haven’t published any Zwave drivers on github yet

If you mean this id: 0312/FF00/FF05, is the fingerprint_id of a device in a driver. If you change this device to another driver it may have a different fingerprit_id.
Whoever makes the driver can freely assign a fingerprint_id of up to 36 characters
I don’t know how to get

I have already added the dimmer to the Z-Wave switch Mc driver and you can pass them all to this version of the driver

┌─────────────┬──────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Name        │ Z-Wave Switch Mc                     │
│ Version     │ 2022-03-18T18:57:41.883923           │
└─────────────┴──────────────────────────────────────┘
1 Like

Do you mean the network ID that the hub assigns to a zwave device at the time it joins the network? Usually given in Hex as a two character ID between 00 and FF? The one you need to set associations?

I know there’s a way to query it with the CLI, but I don’t know the specifics. I think @philh30 had a post on it somewhere…

Tagging @nayelyz

1 Like

I think this is the post you’re referring to:

But @Terri_Baker was already in that thread…

3 Likes

@Terri_Baker,

the device ID <ZwaveDevice: bd5c15c7-76f5-4430-b95d-c8ea349e9f61, DNI ( device network identification) [1E] and device name (Luz Entrada) can see in logcat with the CLI in all device logs

2022-03-18T18:59:08.274439592+00:00 INFO Z-Wave Switch Mc  <ZwaveDevice: bd5c15c7-76f5-4430-b95d-c8ea349e9f61 [1E] (Luz Entrada)> received lifecycle event: infoChanged
3 Likes

Has any more progress been made with this. Ive recently started running into some issues when moving things over to edge.

As above the issue is that I cant have individual tiles for each side of a socket and cant control them independently or by voice.

I have 5 Alcione Aurora Aone smart sockets. Both worked great, both had official ST support and paired (both sides) no issues. However they are so buggy and often go dead.
I re-paired them using edge. Didnt work. App kept crashing or no response at all. I deleted them and put them back on using the stock DH from ST. They work fine for now. Speaking to Aurora support, they will no longer be developing this product so once the ide goes and i need to use edge - will i lose the ability to control the other side of the socket?

I also have 4 ClickSmart sockets. Paired as a single Switch to start. Change the device to Zigbee Multi Switch Power and they work, have done for ages.
That was until this week.
@Mariano_Colmenarejo has helped massively by sorting the drivers out. However so far i cant voice control the second side and cant have independent tiles.

So far all ive had from smartthings is a guide on how edge drivers will work
However it seems this doesnt and heavily invested, now worried it wont at all.
Seems a massive step backwards at the moment.

1 Like

In order to gain voice control over multi component switches you will need to create a virtual device and set routines to mirror the switch.
Mariano made a mirror device that only requires 2 routines per device. Edge Driver Virtual Appliances Mc

Hi yes thank you, thats all well and good and thank goodness people like Mariano have done it.
but simple question why should we? They said transition would be seamless.
Except for plugs, light switches……

Not only might we have to re-add all our devices, we then need to make virtual devices to get them working as they used to? Plugs alone I would have 18 to make. There must be people with many more

Is that really progress?

Look at some of the smart apps that are being broken too. Yes some great users are working very hard to make a fix for them but it feels like another step back.

Their new CEO has said

“So, you have a chasm between the early adopters and innovators, who really know how to run a smart home, and the everyday user who has some smart, connected devices but doesn’t have a handle on the full scope of a connected home.
The future growth is really in this user”

So a new user get SmartThings in their new 2022 tv. Thinks great whats that, id like some smart home. Watches some demos, goes on amazon and finds a smart plug or multi switch that is SmartThings compatible.
They pair it. Only one side works.

Will that early user be told on any instructions or will they know to look here to find the solution? NO
Will the average/basic user want the hassle?

Are any manufactures going to want to make multi plugs for SmartThings if they know that edge drivers dont actually let users use them properly?

So does that help that user and does it bridge that gap?

They could get a tuya hub and devices for less and it will work. Or they could move to Apple which will just work

I am between both types of user. I have been able to add code and get many devices to work and i like to find ways to make things work. However I am not a programmer so i have no clue how to build any code and really appreciate the work done on here. But, im a believer that it should be as sinple as plug and play.
If they are trying to break out into the world on a bigger scale by putting smartthings on all their new phones, in their fridges and tvs, then it needs to be simple.

The whole point of smart home is to make it smart.
Having to add another driver and make virtual 2 virtual switches for a device to work as it should is just backwards.

5 Likes

The API includes a device type named EDGE_CHILD. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

Hi @nayelyz
Any information from engineering team, regarding this matter ? It has been almost 9 months and we haven’t got any information so far ?

Basically we want to know if we could get same behaviour as option as previous official smartthings way of handling multi component devices, so each component is separate device ? So we can use them separately for instance in voice assistants.

4 Likes

I am trying to set up the mirror to be able to control the second device but it does not seem to be working. I have tried both the ST Z-Wave Switch and @Mariano_Colmenarejo’s version and in the routines I do not have the ability to independently turn on/off the second switch.

These are the only options I have for the routine control:

Even though I select only switch 2 on and off, it turns main on:

I just installed both the drivers today so they should be the latest version. What am I doing wrong?

FYI, I am using iOS on iPhone/iPad.

I’m not sure if it’s different on iPhone since I only use Android.

You should have 3 options for each switch
Turn On or Off
Turn On
Turn Off

Are both switches independently working from the physical device and the app or does 1 switch turn on both?
Which driver is the switch currently pair with?

The device is a Qubino Flush 2-relay. Both physical switches work properly and when I open up the device in the app I can independently control each relay. For some reason in the routine creation, I don’t get the on or off options (see picture in my OP). I figured I should have those three options just like any other device but it does not seem to be working.

I switched back and forth. ST initially matched with Miariano’s driver and I switched to the ST driver. Both seem to look the same so maybe there is a cache issue? I know this is working for most people so not sure why this looks the way it does.

Is there an iPhone setting for the equivalent of the clear cache on Android? Other than that have you tried restarting the hub?

Edit
@jkp I thought I recall that you have an iPhone. Any idea how to help?

@guxdude

This is a issue if IOs App un the Then part of the rules.

I Hope It fixed early

1 Like

Ahh. Ok an iOS bug. I thought I was going crazy. Thank you.

@nayelyz is there a place where I can track this bug? Any idea when it might be fixed? I can’t operate most of my house with out this as I have a lot of these 2-relay devices.
Thanks

Sorry but I don’t have information about this kind of issue. Someone reported it in another post I think but I couldn’t find it.
I suggest you contact Customer Support to get updates, they’re not regularly in the Community forum.

Open here to see their contact info

Through the SmartThings Web page

1. Enter this page
  2. Click on “Support” in the upper-right corner
  3. Check if the URL includes your region. For example, en-us here: https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us
  4. At the bottom, select “email” and describe your issue as detailed as possible.
  5. Click on “submit”

From the ST app

1. Open the SmartThings app
  2. Go to the menu tab at the bottom-right corner.
  3. On this page, select the option “contact us” and then go to “Report a problem”
  4. Accept the generation of logs, fill up the form describing your issue as detailed as possible, and screen captures of the issue always help.
  5. Click on “submit”. The Customer team will receive this info.

Via email

US: 1-866-813-2404
US: support@smartthings.com
UK support 0333 0000333
UK: support@smartthings.co.uk
CA: support@smartthings.ca

Hi,

This has been raised many times for months, from myself included - as well as in private email conversations with you.

I do hope the developers don’t continue to ignore this fundamental oversight for much longer. It’s a step back and a very unnecessary irritation at the least.

Please :pray::pray::pray: fix!

3 Likes

Hi @nayelyz

I have noticed that my Neo Coolcam double switch after repairing have been added as two separate components instead one multi component as before. I also see some commits into zwave-dual-switch which is used by Neo coolcam fingerprint, which would suggest such change too: History for drivers/SmartThings/zwave-switch/src/zwave-dual-switch - SmartThingsCommunity/SmartThingsEdgeDrivers · GitHub

It is a great information that those multicomponent switches are going to be handled as separate components but for now it doesn’t seem to work as expected. Problems which I have noticed so far are:

1. child “Switch 1” elements are still shown in main component (but unusable) as shown below on first screenshot even though child component “Loo mirror light” is seperated as shown on screenshot 2:

2. child component “Loo mirror light” is working only for a day after pairing it with smartthings hub. Next day it stops working (main is still working) and is not responsive at all, and following error shown when trying to change the state:

Keep in mind that I have tried to repair it couple times and the situation is always the same. It works only for w day.

Could you please escalate those bugs to “Dawid Sobierajski” or “Konrad Klimczak” as they seem to be working on those handlers.

Sounds like:

Yes that is exactly the same scenario.