ST Cooking - Why are so few people using Smart Things Cooking?

I’m wondering why people are not using Smart Things Cooking plugin ? Do you guys just don’t know how it works ?

It doesn’t do anything beside recommend recipes. It looks like it is designed to get people to allow access to their personalized shopping list data.

1 Like

ahaha, thanks for insights. I’m not sure about the motives tho… I’m currently researching this topic

In my case it is because I really don’t care how it works. Given the option, the only time I would use the SmartThings mobile apps is if I wanted to manage functionality that is necessarily provided on a mobile device, which really means the built in presence sensing and mobile connected devices. Everything else I’d rather do via my own choice of API client tools, whether provided by SmartThings, the community or written myself. Instead I am being forced to use the mobile apps for some critical things.

I may, or may not, be interested in what SmartThings Cooking does, but I wouldn’t even think about using it unless it was completely separate from the SmartThings apps, and I don’t mean another mobile app either. Even then though, I would be much more likely to use a book or one of the many other recipe sites out there. I cannot think of a single thing that linking to SmartThings offers in this area and so the branding is just nonsense to me.

4 Likes

I use SmartThings To monitor and control my smart devices in my home. If I need a recipe, I will look in a cookbook.

5 Likes

Thanks for the input. They have made a separate app, they call it samsung food

1 Like

Dominoes and the local curry house tel no is all i need :+1::pizza:

6 Likes

Yes, I saw that Whisk had recently been rebranded as Samsung Food. I find that a little strange as to me in the UK the Samsung brand just isn’t broad or strong enough for that. Also any app on a phone named ‘Samsung something’ risks being thought of as lesser quality bloatware - one of the apps you delete from your phone, not add to it.

1 Like

I am actively looking at alternatives to Whisk for this very reason. I wanted something separate. Now that they own it and I know how support will - or rather won’t - go, I’m out. :sunglasses:

In both the US and the UK customer satisfaction for owners of both galaxy phones and Samsung appliances tends to be high. Smartthings hub owners may have a different experience, but if people see it as an extension of the phone, the brand should be quite strong.

The numbers very a little from survey to survey because they ask slightly different questions. Satisfaction with a particular phone model may be different from general satisfaction with a brand overall or interest in buying a new model from the same Brand.

But in any case, Samsung remains very highly rated.

US:

It is highly rated for TVs, monitors and phones here. It is well received for domestic appliances but it is trading on the brand recognition from the other areas and it is very much a secondary brand. In other consumer marketplaces the brand has little credibility in itself.

1 Like

Understood, but I expect most people would relate a cooking/food app to domestic appliances. :fried_egg:

I find most large domestic appliance manufacturers don’t even seem to know how their products get used in the real world.

3 Likes

Because I apparently can’t add my own recipes

If you use Samsung Food ((before Whisk) you can add your own dishes there and then they are brought into the Cooking app. They can be selected, edited, or hidden, which is an advantage because, I at least, can’t find a way to delete on the Samsung Food app.

I want to be able to down load the food apps that I use like Paprika. I’ve saved hundreds of recipes there that I like to cook. If could import those recipes or down load the app onto the family hub then the cooking hub would be useful.

Do you guys know if Samsung cooktops support energy usage monitoring? I have a Samsung dryer and I love the fact that I can monitor daily/monthly/annual energy usage in SmartThings. I am about to buy a new cooktop and would consider Samsung if their wifi enabled lineup would support this feature on the SmartThings app. The problem is I can’t find any info on this online.

It does not appear so. I am in the US.

1 Like

Regarding Smart Things Cooking, it’s kind of puzzling why it hasn’t gained more traction, right? I think part of the reason might be that not enough people know about it or understand how it works. It’s all about leveraging technology to simplify cooking tasks, but it seems like it’s flying under the radar a bit. If you’re still trying to wrap your head around it, I’ve got a suggestion: maybe look into some tutorials or join forums where folks discuss it. Oh, and speaking of cooking, I recently tried out that pico de gallo recipe - turned out really tasty! But getting back to Smart Things Cooking, it could potentially be a game-changer once more people start to catch on and see its benefits.

1 Like

It does more than this if you have a Samsung range, such as setting the correct cook time and temperature from the recipe you are using.

I stopped using it because it the temperatures in the recipes were always Celcius, but my Oven is Fahrenheit, and despite many resets and reinstalls the Cooking plugin would never change to Fahrenheit, so it would just error out. The firmware update option for my oven is also non-existent for some reason, even though the manual states it should be there.