Sony Bravia TV Integration - Device Handler

New to the community… been working on a Device Handler for Sony Bravia TVs that was heavily based on the work that was done by “steve.bratt”. I did the work mostly for the purpose of learning how all of this worked and thought I’d share my final product with everyone. I’ll probably still make tweaks to it, but enjoy it. Let me know if you run into any issues or having any questions.

Note: The input icons are specific to my setup, so you could swap those out to a standard image or something else custom.

Next up… Device Handler for LG TVs (Netcast/UDAP2.0 modes - 2012/2013); Device Handler for LG TVs(Newer models).

I’m going to start researching how to use what has been created with webCoRE, just kind of starting looking into how it works.

3 Likes

When I try to use this as my device handler, my things list won’t load, but I get no error in the live logging…

Still new to all of this… but, I assume you are on the Classic app? I have only tested this on the Classic app.

So, your entire Things list doesn’t load at all or the “Sony TV” doesn’t show up as a Thing?

I am working with the Classic application and when I have this DTH assigned to the device, it get the message “Something went wrong” in the things list.

I’ll try to reproduce, I haven’t added the device / device handler “net new” for quite a while, just been publishing updates as I work through the development. Did you add the device in the app or the web portal?

TV on or off when you installed? TV have ECO mode enabled or disabled?

I was unable to add a new device in the IDE with this DTH, get the similar error. When I switch from the current DTH to your new DTH I can’t display the things list.

Hello,
I am also new in the smartthings community so I have a stupid question. I am using the new smartthings app on iOS. After creating the device handler using your code and link it to a device, I tested it in the app. I only have limited options ( like on/ off … see the attached picture). What should I do to have the complete functionality of the handler?
Thank you for your support !

That looks like the new app “SmartThings”… which I am still unclear on how much Device Handler support there is (or will be in the future).

You should try to find the “SmartThings Classic” app and try it out there. If you used the web interface to create the DH and install the Device, I am guessing it would start showing up.

I can confirm that this Device Handler locks up the classic app with a “Something went wrong” message when trying to browse devices or favorites.
Oddly enough it will show up on the new Smartthings app, but I haven’t tested functionality there.

I’ve been successful in using Steve Abratt’s version of the Device Handler, so not sure what may be the piece that’s breaking this code.
I’m using ST hub v2 and Sony XBR 900F if that helps any.

Can’t get the app buttons to work. Get a blue glow on the bottom of the screen and the LED. Any ideas?
BRAVIA ATV2 EU

I’ve made some changes that I believe will address this. They’ll be uploaded soon… maybe 2-3 days. I think it all had to do with attempting communication prior to all of the configuration steps completed.

Are the other buttons working besides the app buttons? I’ll probably need to put some logging in place so I can get an idea of what might be going on. If you are interested in testing it out for me I can publish some logging code…

I’m jumping back into this rabbit hole that I avoided 2 years ago when I got my Sony XBR 900F. I’ve got the DH installed and when in the new ST app I get what Sergiu has but it does power on/off the TV. In the Classic ST app I am getting the same “Something went wrong” message other users have been reporting. Set everything up on the web interface.

Thanks for tweaking this and keeping updates coming. Hopefully we can figure out how to get this working together.

@joshbrasel Brilliant Thanks for this

I’m jumping back into this rabbit hole that I avoided 2 years ago when I got my Sony XBR 900F. I’ve got the DH installed and when in the new ST app I get what Sergiu has but it does power on/off the TV. In the Classic ST app I am getting the same “Something went wrong” message other users have been reporting. Set everything up on the web interface.

Thanks for tweaking this and keeping updates coming. Hopefully we can figure out how to get this working together.

Sorry for the delay in pushing the updates I’ve been testing out locally. I’m really hoping this resolves the “something went wrong” error. If this doesn’t address it, I’ll put some debugging in the code and you can help me troubleshoot it from there if you are willing!

Now that the Classic app has a planned end date, will this be brought over to the new app and work there?

I’ve been trying to delay looking into that as long as I can… but I see we are a couple months away. I should probably start looking into it more… ugh.

3 Likes

Sure, I can give it some testing. I’ll re-integrate today and see if I’m still having the issue.

thanks for the great work on this so far, just giving a little bump to see if any more update on this integration. trying to see if i can get my KD-55X8505B connected, not holding much hope as is pre android software which came with the model afterwards.

Is that a Bravia TV? I tried looking through the manuals and it didn’t appear to be a Bravia TV.