Sonos WebSocket Edge Driver

@nayelyz There hasn’t been anything posted recently that I could find regarding an EDGE WebSocket driver for Sonos to replace the current SmartThings WebSocket DTH. My understanding is that the WebSocket API remains under wraps, so a community driver is not possible. Is SmartThings working on this, or is it up to Sonos to create the driver?

I am aware that there is a Community-based LAN driver, but it lacks capabilities that I use. While the author of that driver has indicated an interest in building a WebSocket version, it’s not currently possible without the proper documentation.

5 Likes

Hi, @bthrock

I think that your concerns were already discussed here. Please take a look at it and let me know if that is enough or if there is anything else we can help you with.

I’ve read that thread. I posted in that thread. I don’t see an answer to my question anywhere in that thread, just a lot of talking around the WebSocket issue.

Maybe the tech in that thread is over my head and prevents me from reading between the lines. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time, but either way, I thought my question was simple. Why can’t the answer be?

Hi, @bthrock

The first time I read your post assumed that you were trying to develop your own integration, which is why I forwarded you to that thread. Let me ask the team what are the plans on that matter and I will get back to you as soon as I have an answer.

3 Likes

Just been looking at my non migrated devices and i have a few Sonos products among other devices which i was about to start playing with to get them on edge, thought i would scan the forum for pointers and found this relevant thread

Any news @andresg ?

1 Like

Hi, @fido

No news so far, but I am expecting an answer from the team soon

1 Like

Did you ever hear anything back @andresg?

2 Likes

Hi, @granite

Not so far, sorry. Let me ping the team again.

1 Like

Hi, @bthrock

Good news! I am glad to announce that SmartThings is planning to release a Sonos driver in the coming weeks. Not sure about the exact date, but I was told it is planned to be released in the near future.

4 Likes

Terrific! Thanks for the update.

1 Like

Thank you @andresg that is excellent news

1 Like

Found an oddity with 2 of my Sonos speakers that are connected as a stereo pair, in the ST app there is no 3 dot navigation option top right ?

All my other Sonos speakers, some configured for same stereo pair display the dots as expected

Removed, re installed no different, no navigation dots top right

And indeed the driver code is now on GitHub (since yesterday evening). It hasn’t been moved up to beta yet but at least it shows it is real.

2 Likes

Interesting combination of the Rest and WebSockets API, but at first glance it looks like everything is there.

It is now in the beta channel.

1 Like

I installed the Edge Sonos driver and did Add Device by Brand - Sonos. It found my players but they don’t seem to be using an Edge driver. In the CLI, it says they device type DTH. In the IDE, it says the are “LAN Sonos Player Websocket”. So, I’m very confused.

Rediscovered and it added the group coordinator of each pair as an EDGE sonos-player and its partner as a DTH. So I have a bit of junk to remove which I hope won’t be rediscovered every time I scan for new devices in the future, but it’s progress! Now to see what the driver’s capabilities really area.

Thanks for letting me know it move to Beta. Is there a public thread for beta comments just in case?

bep@debian10:~$ st devices:capability-status 49f6cb4f-04c5-42d2-ac98-1a3f506a6245
──────────────────────

Id

──────────────────────
1 audioMute
2 audioTrackData
3 audioVolume
4 mediaPlayback
5 mediaPresets
──────────────────────
6 mediaTrackControl
7 refresh
──────────────────────
? Select a capability.

Same functionality as previous

Yes, that’s what on the surface. I’m looking under the hood a bit more. Does the driver identify the group coordinator? Where and how can I pull the media presets, etc., etc. I use a lot of that information for my various automations.

At first glance, there doesn’t appear to be any group capability (join, leave), and if so, that’s disappointing. I won’t be giving up my node-sonos-http-api anytime soon.

1 Like