Something big is coming! (June 2021 app update)

I noticed Bixby made reference to Routines. They were worthless, of course, and so badly documented that I gave up and quickly disabled the Bixby action button on my phone again.

1 Like

Now the Hello Home! app is a relatively distant memory, perhaps it is time for Automations to take over the old Routines moniker. Having a type of Automation named Automations is rather confusing.

ST do have history with using different terms for the same thing (states and attributes) and the same terms for different things (e.g. state, location, mode). It really needs sorting once and for all

3 Likes

Hmmmm

Apple just announced that beginning with iOS 15 both HomeKit devices and Matter devices will be able to be controlled in the Apple Home app.

So if Matter support wasn’t already part of the new UI, it sounds like it’s time for SmartThings to get on board. :wink:

6 Likes

“Something Big” is rolling out today:

1. New app
  2. Local automations

@AutomateYourLife has a nice walkthrough of the new app here:

9 Likes

Interesting. I wonder how much of the navigation (swipe left, long hold, hold and drag, etc.) will work with voice? :thinking: If the iOS version doesn’t show up today, I will need to wait until next Tuesday to check it out when Mark is here again.

4 Likes

Android rolls out today and iOS “will follow shortly after”. here’s the official Samsung press release.

3 Likes

Here’s your new icons: on the left is local on the right is quick control

3 Likes

From that link
 Did I miss this announcement?

SmartThings continues to double down on enhancing its technology. Recently, SmartThings announced the integration of the Matter protocol into its ecosystem, holding its leading spot as the platform with the most flexible ways to connect devices, including Wi-Fi, Z-Wave, Zigbee, and now Matter.

1 Like

this from May12 I guess is what they are referring to

3 Likes

The press release that says ‘today’ is dated tomorrow.

2 Likes

It’s June 9 in Korea.

:crossed_fingers:t5: that the load times issue has been fixed. I’m so used to the “Old New” App now just hate the load times. Speaking of naming, WTH do we call this version
 “New New” App
“Newest” App
? :thinking:

1 Like

Am I missing where they announced local automation? I only see the app announcement.

1 Like

They didn’t in the press release :joy: Gotta love PR logic. But it’s there.

2 Likes

I’m on a Samsung Galaxy s10e in the US and don’t have the updated app yet

2 Likes

It is, but Samsung press releases include a country as well as a date and this one is ‘USA on June 9, 2021’.

2 Likes

At first I was thinking “the big thing“ app but now I’m thinking just the “2021 app.“ To make things less confusing in the future as more versions are released.

1 Like

App 2.5 could also work. it’s not a TOTAL overhaul, so more of a half version number. Device plugins, smartapp screens, automation flow, etc remain the same.

2 Likes

I’d just accept that the current version of the Android and iOS apps together are the app and that further qualification is only needed when it is other apps that are being talked about, such as: various earlier iterations of the app, which has had significant changes before without needing more than one name; various iterations of the Classic app, which also changed over time; the Windows app (and any early attempts); the web app; and so on.

2 Likes

I think that would be confusing, because We’ve been calling the version that came out at the same time as the V3 hub the V3 app for that reason. Because this is actually the 4th major release. There was the hello home version from 2013, then the classic app in 2015, then the V3 version in 2018, and now this one.

If you want the whole history (with pictures!) It’s in the following FAQ, which obviously needs to be updated but that will have to wait for the iOS version.

And the problem with just saying that now this one is “the“ app is that there is so much information in the forum and a lot of it remains useful for years, but the app versions can change over that time.

We started calling the previous version the V3 version because there were a lot of posts in the forum talking about the “new“ app which meant the “classic“ app: new as opposed to the original hello home app.

And there are always lots of questions at transition times like this and people are going to say “new app“ to mean this newest version.

FAQ: how to tell which version of the SmartThings mobile app that you have

2 Likes