SmartThings UX Design Team

The visual design was one of the things that attracted me to SmartThings. As a fellow UX Designer, it’d be cool to hear from the designers at a cool startup like SmartThings.

What are you currently working on?

What’s the day to day like?

How’s the design culture at SmartThings?

Are you working remote or onsite?

Anthony,

What are you currently working on?
We’re continually working on ways to enrich how our users mesh the internet of things into their lifestyles. How to increase the intuitiveness, transparency, solidity, and expanding the ecosystem of the SmartThings platform are common topics discussed/deliberated.

What’s the day to day like?
My day often begins much the same as most… Review emails and formulating an agenda for the day. Though, I don’t generally have “normal” days. On any given day I can be meeting/negotiating with vendors, working on concepts for products, designing components for manufacturing, resolving manufacturing/design issues, running user research sessions, conducting product photo shoots, design print collateral… the list goes on.

How’s the design culture at SmartThings?
I’m not sure how to answer this questions. I’ve worked in both corporate and design studio environments. SmartThings’ design culture doesn’t fit in either of these categories - but has qualities of both. One of our founders is a designer which allows us to have a top-down approach to design. The open office environment lends itself to collaboration and direct access to anyone at SmartThings. Design and user experience are part of just about every discussion. Do we all sit around in black turtlenecks and jeans pontificating the true meaning of simplicity - no. We’re generally problem solving the best design solution with sonos playing in the background while sampling the newest local brew.

Are you working remote or onsite?
Both…

Regards,
William Atwood - Senior Industrial Designer

Thanks for the awesome reply!

@helvetica Hey Anthony, we’re having office hours tomorrow at 4pm Eastern time. Would you like me to get a UX designer on for you to ask questions?

I’ll take some time tomorrow for office hours and will be around to answer any and all questions design/ux related.