UX and Content Designers needed for ST

Hi Folks,

I’m pretty new to SmartThings but coming in fresh I feel like I was sold a shiny diamond and got given a lump of coal. The experience has painful but the underlying product seems to be good. People list the starter kits on Ebay citing they couldn’t figure it out, or make use of it so are selling. And I thought as someone technically savvy I thought it wouldn’t be an issue. But really they weren’t fibbing.

After a week of use I’ve had the following issues:

• totally inconsistent design language throughout the app and especially the third party apps
  • bizarre information architecture
  • the core concepts are not clearly (devices, their handlers, smartapps) explained
  • mis-leading content (where this topic originated from)
  • no directory of devices and smart apps organised by ST, Vendor and 3rd Party with when they were last updated, tested and how often they are maintained and ratings
  • no easy way to update applications (evergreen would be ideal or option to be)
  • mis-leading messaging in the platform
  • generally a poor UI design (lots of things hidden, lots of concepts on the screen at one)
  • subjectively its not pretty either
  • no feature parity between regions

If you guys want to survive you need to scale, the early adopters will move on. I want it to work, technically it seems like a great platform but it needs a strong community and vendor backing to keep it up. I don’t need to spell out what happens if not, you’re product owners should know exactly what happens.

Don’t be mad I’ve slammed your product, Bill Gates once said:
“your unhappy customers are your biggest source of learning”

Your welcome

2 Likes

Funny, search and you’ll see we all complained about this 1, 2 and even 3 years ago.

This is just the way it is, take it or leave it.

Btw, not disagreeing with you at all.

2 Likes

That’s a shame, seems like a big risk for the product.

Welcome! :sunglasses: As others have said, unfortunately the frustrations you ran into have been around for a long time. But the community is great!

As far as FAQs, I think Robin probably meant the following FAQ which explains the basic concepts for device, device type handler, and smart app:

But you might also find the following helpful:

1 Like

The force is strong in this community. I’ll be reading through these guides for sure, thanks for sharing.

3 Likes