SmartThings Outage - Jan 03 2018

I can only imagine having to start from scratch and add 300+ devices and all the automation behind it.

A hex on your words!

This outage happened literally within a couple of minutes of me rewriting the last of my 40 or so CoRE pistons in webCoRE. It all worked beautifully for about 3 minutes, and then all hell broke loose.

So I spent the next 3 hours rebooting devices, resetting (and completely hosing) my Hue hub, trying different stuff in the webCoRE pistons, etc.

FML :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve had that experience before. Really makes ya think.

Two hubs - One for Z-Wave and one for Zigbee.

Edit this to Hue Bridge before you get dinged!

1 Like

So assuming that ST ever gets this outage resolved (starting to have my doubts), I’ll get to add, rename, reassign, and reprogram about 30 “new” lights, in addition to working out the weird leftover bugs in the few that weren’t lost with the Hue reset.

I hate HA. lol

LOL :grinning:

DOH!

1 Like

Not sure what you are replying to when you don’t Quote what text. :slight_smile:

You talking about Steve dealing with the boss when he gets home or having to replace the hub and adding all the devices again?

2 hours reading walkarounds for my door contact sensors that were “stuck” without reporting correctly their state… Good job Samsung…

Help! I need an exorcism performed on my house! I think the devil has taken it over!

Door lock reporting several times today that it was physically unlocked, contacts reporting open that are not. Lights turning on and off.

Hopefully, they get this fixed soon! Until then, I had to perform an exorcism by unplugging my hub for now to maintain my sanity.

“Mama says ThamThung is the devil”

I too have the same issue going on today. I had several alarms due to doors suddenly reporting open 15-20 minutes after they’d been opened then closed and several motion sensors reading “MOTION” constantly. What a pain!

There are now multiple hubs on the market that include both a zibee radio and a Z wave radio. Wink 2, Vera Plus, Zipato ( with the add on modules), Zipatile, Homey (I think), Lowes Iris, securifi Almond 3, Abode, Harmony Hub Extender–even the Nortek QuikStick USB stick. The new Toshiba Symbio which was just released today has Zigbee Home Automation, Z wave, and Alexa built in, along with the camera and a sound sensor.

I’m not saying these are all of equal quality, and some have a very short list of compatible devices, but it’s definitely not unusual to see a hub that includes both a zigbee radio and a Z wave radio these days. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Never seen a outage last this long before.

I have, last year a database got corrupted or something and it took them 2 weeks to fix it. I really hope this does not take that long. This is getting amusing, my garage door just reported open and I have been home for an hour. Talk about a delay.

3 Likes

So many options!

1 Like

In November 2015 things were flaky for weeks. In Spring of 2016 there were hotspot problems which also lasted more than a week, I don’t remember exactly how long. And in November 2016 the Poltergeists were back for at least a week or two. It’s happened before. :scream::ghost:

And of course there have been individual integration issues. The Samsung television integration broke about eight weeks ago, and I don’t think it’s fixed yet. VoiceOver navigation was broken in the mobile app back in April, still waiting for the promised fix on that. There was the problem with adding a second user and that one went on for a couple of months also. Some problems are pretty easy to fix, some have to do with an underlying architecture issue and aren’t so simple. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

I hear ya, I kept getting some smartapp reports saying my glass door is open and it turns off the thermostat. Disabled that quickly…

1 Like

haha I Joined the fray after all of that then. I hope they fix the devices they promised like you are saying with the TV and such. They just fixed the Arlo issue causing MASSIVE battery drain thankfully. ( Months later ).

No, I was referring to the insanity of trying to figure out why things aren’t working, without realizing the problem lies in the cloud.

3 Likes