SmartThings Outage - Jan 03 2018

Smart Lighting running locally works great. Smart Lighting in the cloud . . . very delayed. It’s gotten a lot better recently. Only about a minute delay - was close to twenty minutes several hours ago.

I haven’t touched my hub or gone into the app all day, but my Pistons must just have fired because my Sunset stuff just turned on some lights. Slightly early from yesterday sunset time. Maybe that has to do with the other resolved issue around time, sunset and sunrise.

I’m so glad I have switches and not bulbs right now. Bummer I have to push buttons to turn things on and glad I was never confident enough to have locks or garage door in any type of automation… kinda opens your eyes to where you are and how dependent you are to it. Sure it’s inconvenient for myseld right now but at least I know what to expect. Started in this about a year ago and first major problem I have seen

2 Likes

This is the exactly reason why when my aging parents asked me how I did all these automation stuff and whether I can set up their house like that, I told them a big no. It’s great when it works, but debilitating when it doesn’t.

Bulbs aren’t bad if you have LIFX or Hue with a separate application that they can also function from and then still being able to control them via Alexa as well.

1 Like

Actually contemplating moving everything possible from webcore and other smartapps back to Smartlighting, as crippling as it is. It’s really sad that we can’t get more advanced rulesets for the only local processing option we have.

2 Likes

Yeah. Anything I could do locally, I switched over. I too wish they offered more local SmartApps. Unfortunately, with the release of their new API I’m doubting that will happen.

Hub says its off line but my motion sensor that turna bathroom light on worked just fine right now? Should I unplug hub and try a hard reset or just wait on ST to resolve issues

It would be so, SO nice to be able to run webCoRE locally, as it is just a fantastic rules engine and interface.

Did I mention how nice it would be to be able to run webCoRE locally? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Agreed. Most companies are going cloud and never looking back. I think the disruptor will be the first company to offer broad compatibility (or customization) with local processing. It’s not like handlers can’t be stored and validated locally, and scheduling should be hella trivial.

LOL…I think you might’ve mentioned that. Seriously, we have wifi routers with better HA rules engines than our HA hub. Makes complete sense.

1 Like

It could also be nice to run webCoRE with other controllers. It’s practically outshining its host controller at the moment, asking more than what it can deliver. If webCoRE could be open to running alongside Homeassistant or OpenHab, well… that’d be awesome.

2 Likes

What does homeassitant or openhab do versus SmartThings?

This is probably an entirely different conversation, but until cloud based services are bolstered by blockchains, we can count on instability. :sunglasses:

I’m still having problems controlling Phillips Hue bulbs. Data is posting incredibly slowly to local MQTT bridge. This is getting painful.

Currently none of my smart lighting rules work. This morning I had a couple of devices dropping off the network but now everything is online, yet the smart lighting smartapp doesn’t work.

Yeah. It’s gone from constantly working very poorly to not working at all intermittently.

Is that an improvement? :smile:

1 Like

I just called my buddy who sells control4. I could get past this outage if I felt like it were a speed bump in a rapidly evolving platform, but its impossible to pretend that smartthings is evolving in anyway. Stagnant at best, but more like slowly dying.

Lets face facts. This was a get rich scheme for the founders and they succeeded in that. The got their pot o’ gold and left their Korean buyers with a sack of sht in one hand and their dcks in the other. It seems rather clear that they have no idea how to extend the functionality of the product they bought, or even how to host it in a more reliable manner.

I give smartthings another 12-18mo until samsung quietly announces they’re pulling the plug. Time to get out now.

It looks like latency and status updates are just about back to normal. I’m seeing a 2-4 second lag on motion sensors for example. UPS devices are updating as expected.

Anyone else?

I see motion events hitting MQTT bus a good 45 seconds to a minute after the sensor fired. I got bored one day and use Node-Red to control lights based off of motion alerts hitting MQTT bus. But that’s now really blowing up in my face when I walk in to a dark room to grab something, leave and then the light turns on later.

yeah I see the motion event quickly enough but a good 45-90 seconds until my pison turns the lights on.