Z-Wave network consisting of ST Hub V3, ~45 Bali/Somfy shades, ~20 Leviton switches and dimmers, and about 30 other switch/outlets/etc were all installed around 2019. Due to the supported driver changes this past July, it was easier to reset everything and start a new install. The problem I’m having today is identical to the problems I experienced in 2019 with the initial implementation.
In short, after successfully adding a little over 60 devices to the hub, via the current iPhone app, I can no longer add new devices.
The longer explanation -
The first 60 or so devices add just as expected, whether I add using the generic “Scan for Nearby Devices” or I select “Partner Devices” and find the exact item I’m adding. The issue started after device 64 or so - I would set the hub to add a device, put the actual device in “Join/Add” mode, and the device will acknowledge that it has been added to the network. The ST App never shows the device being added. I can immediately go through the process to “Exclude” that device and both the device and the ST App will reflect a successful exclusion. The App actually shows “Device Deleted”.
Further, in 2019, I was able to get past this issue via the previous web interface. There was an option to manually add a device, assign it’s z-wave Network ID, driver, etc. I could locate the last device successfully added, increment its Network ID by “1”, and create a new device with that Network ID. I would occasionally have to hunt around with other Network ID’s in the range but I could always find the new device, it would be added successfully, and everything worked perfectly for 4+ years.
Today, I’m going through the same process but with one failure - the ST website no longer has an option to add a device manually. As such, I’m left with no option to find the device that thinks it’s added, has a Network ID, but Smartthings isn’t registering it.
Any suggestions are welcome.
To help in heading off the standard trouble-shooting questions:
- Before starting the rebuild last week, I hard reset the hub and created a new Smartthings account so as to be starting entirely fresh.
- I hard reset every device before adding it to the network.
- the 64 devices I have successfully re-added are all working perfectly.
- The Hub is running the latest firmware available.
- I have repeaters scattered throughout the house. I tried with and without these powered up.
- I have tested this with the hub 30 feet away all the way down to <1 ft away. Absolutely no difference.
- I have reproduced this issue with 10 separate shades. After the 64th device, all of them react as though they are successfully joined to the network but Smartthings does not reflect the device anywhere in the app or website. Both the device and the app will reflect a successful exclusion, when I run that process.
I appreciate any ideas this group might have.