Smartthings Hub V2 has now been unstable for long ... Is it time to move on?

hubv2

(Ravi Bhat) #1

There are no signs of V2 being stable. Is it time to move on to a different technology hub. The updates from Smartthings is always, issues found, issues resolved. But the real issues that I/we are seeing

• Routines are completely messed up. Initially I had presence sensors (me and my wifes phone) toggling back and forth when we were miles away from home, we had to literally kill the smartapps that were using presence sensors to stop that annoyance.
  • Vacation lighting routine / smartapp is now toggling lights randomly even though my mode is in home / stay mode and presence sensors show home
  • Lights toggle back and forth randomly at times
  • Routines that are set do not play most of the times and sometimes all of a sudden they are like there is no problem.
  • Extremely slow response of the app and the hub.
    It ihas gotten to a point where I feel like, less application / device interfaces that I had with ADT pulse were better than having a system that is completely unreliable and worst of all Smartthings has no clue of what is happening and why these things are happening. All we get from them " issues found, issues resolved" … next day “the same message again” … What are the issues with the system and what is causing these issues to pop up randomly and repeatedly.

Is there going to be a fix available ever?

Is it time to call it quits?
(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #2

I think there’s several dozen Topics of folks asking for recommended alternatives to “move on to” over the years.

Wink is even presented as a viable option (I dunno, maybe?).

I think the short answer is that, for this market (i.e., price, DIY, and openness), there is no standout competitor at this time. And… I’d say that the odds are just as good that SmartThings will “be fixed”, before a viable, confirmed (i.e., real-world tested) alternative exists. Even in that case, SmartThings’s unique “pros”, might outweigh that alternative. I sure hope so. I don’t want to be overly attached to this brand, but, it would feel like a divorce to leave. Not an easy thing to do.

(Community Journeyman) #3

I just started experiencing the same problem for the first time within the last 48 hours. It wouldn’t be so bad or annoying if it wasn’t the nightstand lamps in the master bedroom, waking me and my wife up. I deleted the “Toggle” SmartApp that was originally causing the problem only for the problem to move to the SmartThings Smart Lighting SmartApp. Is this a widespread problem? Are others seeing this issue? Does anyone know of a solution or workaround to this issue?