SmartThings Hub update bricked my Hub

Hi all,

When the firmware update happened last week, my hub stopped operating, no devices responding, etc.

After the update, they never came back. Everything just stayed offline after multiple restarts and a complete reset.

I have since been trying to recover, and have been able to resurrect some devices, but not all. For example, I have about half a dozen GE Z-Wave switches that I struggle to even remove from the account to start with, and when I can remove them and re-add them, they cannot be controlled anymore. The fact that they get removed from any automations when I remove and recreate them adds insult to injury.

I have garage doors and Hue lightbulbs that I also had connected with various alternate drivers, and I can’t recall which ones, but those are all offline and I can’t figure out how to reconnect to them.

Has anyone else encountered these issues? Any quick fix at all? Specific fixes for the Z-Wave issue would be helpful–that affects the most automation I have set up, and it’s a security issue not to them them working.

Thanks,
/mike

which hub do you have? what version of the firmware did it get updated to? are you part of the Beta Group?

What Edge Drivers or Device Handlers are being used by the offline devices?

brand/model of garage door?

Hue… various alternate drivers… were they Edge Drivers or custom Device Handlers? Any reason you don’t want to go to the official Hue integration?

Hi @jkp,

I have the v3 Hub, not in the beta group (that I remember), and it’s running firmware v000.043.00004.

I don’t know what kind of drivers are being used–it’s been 3 years since I initially installed them, and in my attempts to reinstall, I just tried picking the device off the list based on manufacturer and product type. I understand that Edge drivers have just been introduced–I’ve not specifically chosen any of these, or even know quite how to do that.

I think I have both the MyQ integration for my garage doors (a Chamberlain brand) and also a custom device handler to check their open/closed status. Don’t remember where I found the custom one anymore, and I dread re-doing the research.

For Hue, I’m pretty sure it was an alternate because I don’t have a Phillips Hub and do not want to pay for one–as far I know, the official Hue integration requires that.

Thanks.

let’s start with MyQ. go to the Automations section and scroll down to see if MyQ is listed there… I doubt it will. If it isn’t listed there, tap Add Routine, tap the Discover tab near the top, scroll down to see if MyQ is listed there. If not there, you will need to install the custom smartapp and Drivers for MyQ again in IDE (https://graph.api.smartthings.com, click on My Locations, tap the Location Name then follow the set up instructions again. from the instructions in this thread.

Note: groovy device handlers and smartapps such as MyQ will be phased out when ST migrates to Edge and LUA.

1 Like

Okay, it turns out MyQ Lite is what I previously had installed. However, it’s no longer connecting correctly to my MyQ account. I’m logged into the MyQ app itself, and it works fine. But using the same credentials from inside SmartThings it says incorrect login–so not sure what’s going on there at all. I can’t login on their webpage either–only the app. I’ll work with their support to figure out the login issue.

Meanwhile, my Z-Wave devices are still horked. Any suggestions there? The only success I’ve had is I was able to remove 1 device from the network and re-add it, and it seems to be controllable. All other devices either refuse to be excluded–they stay in the app even after it seems to accept the exclude command from the device–or are not controllable after being re-added and show up as online. I have some Schlage Z-Wave door looks, too, BTW.

1 Like

start with the switches that are closest to the hub. Pull the air gap tab for a few seconds. put the hub into exclusion mode. if it successfully removes, try to pair it > Add Device > Scan nearby and press the button/paddles on the switch. You may have to attempt a few times.

any z-wave routing devices such as z-wave outlets? If yes, unplug those.

if you still have problems connecting, you may need to bring your hub near the devices.

for the lock… get the hub near the lock. put the hub into exclusion then enter the programming code for the lock, press the schlage button followed by 0. You should see the green arrow indicating successfully excluded. Then Add Device > Scan and put the lock into inclusion mode with same steps above. You should get the green arrow again to reflect it was added. Depending on which model, you may have a difficult time adding it. Keep trying or post the model number and others can assist.

As for MyQ, check that you have the latest version installed.

Turns out my locks are Zigbee–not sure whether any special removal step is required, but I was able to remove the device from ST app. I can’t get it to reconnect or even behave like it’s reconnecting, by blinking the correct lights.

I’ve updated the garage door stuff, as far as I can tell, and no dice. Still can’t authenticate. I’ve asked @brbeaird in his MyQ thread whether he has other suggestions.

I’ve got all my Z-Wave lights working again, through lots of manual effort and going out in the backyard with a long ethernet cable and extension cord to get my garage switches to reconnect to the network. Ugh.

What 3rd party device driver do you recommend to connect to a Hue without a hub?

Still trying to figure out my Zigbee locks. I cannot seem to get them to either disconnect, nor connect. The lights on the Zigbee circuit board just don’t go on at all when I hit the reset button.

If your hue bulbs are connect to a hue bridge, I would recommend the official Hue integration > Add Device > by brand > Philips Hue > Connect to ST hub (don’t use Link account except for users with no ST hub)

a developer was working on an Edge driver to connect your hue bridge and scene/group control but I have not kept up with that project but you can check it out…

I believe the official Hue integration is to get an update this Fall.

I do NOT have a Hue bridge and have no intent to get one. I have just a couple of their bulbs, and there was an integration I was using that did not require the Hue bridge at all. That’s what I’m hoping to use again, but I don’t know what it was that I used–it disconnected like everything else and I need to delete and re-install.

There was some kind of glitch last week or so that created some issues with pairing devices, that was eventually resolved. I’ve read of a few glitchy things happening after the hub updates.

I guess I’d wait before doing a reset if you have a lot of devices, maybe it will be resolved, somehow.

I believe you need a Hue bridge, or dimmer to reset these bulbs, so you can repair them. @JDRoberts might know.

I believe the easiest way is to use a hue dimmer switch to reset them

1 Like

You should be able to see what Device Type Handlers your devices were previously using by checking the IDE. As long as you haven’t removed them from the account.

For the zigbee locks, we would need to know the brand and model number to be able to help more.

As far as Hue, while I understand not wanting to spend money you don’t have to, using hue bulbs without a hue bridge runs a very great risk of messing up your Zigbee Network, which is why neither company recommends that. If you are now adding things back in a different order than you added them the first time, they can contribute to your Zigbee problems. More on all of that here:

FAQ: Do I need the Hue Bridge/Hub to Use a Hue Bulb with SmartThings?

But obviously it’s your choice.

As far as resetting hue bulbs without a hue bridge, if you can find someone who has a Hue dimmer switch that you can borrow, that’s the easiest way. You only need to have the dimmer switch long enough to do the reset, so maybe five minutes total per each bulb that you have to reset.

The dimmer switch doesn’t have to have ever talked to the bulbs before and they don’t need to be on the same network: it is able to issue a reset command as long as it is physically close to the bulb.

(If you do an Internet search, you will find some blog articles that tell you you just need the hue app, but that’s for the newer model hue bulbs which also have Bluetooth. If yours are only Zigbee, then you have to use the dimmer switch method.)

Here’s an article that covers all the different methods for the different configurations. You would be using the dimmer switch without a bridge or the app.

The edge driver is up and running. Just waiting on ST to add support for SSE before taking it to beta. Allows control of scenes, rooms and zones via ST. Also works with voice control. Let me know if you want an invite.

1 Like

The exact thing happened to me today. This morning (August 16th, 2022) all 5 of my SmartThings WiFi hubs bricked. Everything was working perfectly last night. Today I have 0 out of 5 hubs working. I’m trying to factory reset to get even a single hub online, but without success. It’s completely unclear what caused this. All other electronic devices in the house (Google homes, Alexa, Nest cameras and Nest Protect, zillions of IOT devices, laptops, desktops) are perfectly OK. No lightning, no power surges, warm (80s) but not crazy weather. My only conclusion is that a firmware update by Samsung bricked all 5 SmartThings WiFi hubs. Unclear if there is a road to recovery…

You should definitely contact ST and open a ticket to let them look into your 5 hubs.

Are you part of the Beta group? that is the only firmware pushed out today that I am aware of.

There was another user today who posted about being unable to control devices and their routines not working. Not sure if it is related to your situation.

Do contact ST support.