Smartthings, Europe and Brexit

Happy 4th to all USA folks here!

I just thought of one thing…

Now that Britain has voted for the Brexit… what will happen to the sales of ST in Europe?

Any ideas?

@April ?

Hopefully not what happened to April

3 Likes

Huh? Did I miss something? What happened to her?

https://community.smartthings.com/t/employee-layoff-at-smartthings-from-glassdoor/50316/14?source_topic_id=51978
1 Like

Don’t have access to that topic it (the system) says but I guess my reaction will be:

2 Likes

Let me help you

1 Like

There were hires in engineering and layoffs in marketing a month or two ago. (Nothing to do with Brexit.)

Just guessing here, but my own guess would be that marketing is going to move away from the “maker faire” type events and more into things that tie in with existing marketing operations for Samsung appliances and televisions. But that’s just a guess.

1 Like

Darn, oh well…

Anyways! Back to the topic… Any ideas anyone on where I’ll be able to purchase ST related stuff in Europe after the Brexit?

Why would the current outlets stop selling smartthings stuff just because the UK leaves the EU?

2 Likes

Brexit won’t be complete for at least a year, probably a little longer.

By that time, I would’ve expected Samsung to have decided what they’re going to do with the SmartThings hub vis a vis other European countries anyway.

Samsung products like televisions are already available in all the European countries, I believe. They have the distribution channels if they choose to use them.

I don’t expect Brexit to have any impact on Samsung television sales in Europe, and my guess (purely a guess) is that by the time Brexit is complete, the SmartThings hub will either be available through Samsung’s regular European channels or it won’t be available in the UK, either.

No way to tell what SmartThings will be doing in Europe in two years, but I don’t see Brexit as having any impact one way or the other.

JMO

What is brexit? What is EU?

1 Like

Now this has my attention, I can’t access either :frowning:

Is from a section of the forum reserved for those with trust level 3 (regulars). If you don’t have a badge “regular” you won’t be able to access it. No worries though discussion is pretty rare over there. Your not missing much.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-do-user-trust-levels-do/4924/6

1 Like

Yep, sorry should have commented on that. I had access, have on and off again, shrug no biggie. Found everything by a quick search on glassdoor. I feel caught up enough and my curiosity is over. :slight_smile:

Thanks

2 Likes

No access here, either. Seems I’ve not been regular enough of late…(work has been keeping me somewhat busy).

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge, this will not affect any of our plans. The biggest change (hopefully) is that it will be cheaper for annoying Americans like me to come over and wear my SmartThings Ts to the pub.

3 Likes

I am curious when SmartThings will become available in Netherlands. There was an announcement last year that it would become available in Europe in 2016, but since then it remains very quiet. Is it still the plan to release SmartThings this year in Europe? Do you have more information about this @Aaron?

3 Likes

There must be somekind of roadmap for introducing ST to the other EU countries?

Buying from UK isn’t an option right now because almost everything seems to be out of stock.

1 Like

Not sure if it helps but Currys/PC World seem to be back to normal stock levels.

@KelvinNL would you buy it from UK if it was in stock? For me there are some open questions and risks.

• The hardware and software will not be supported by Samsung in Netherlands (I checked this with Samsung customer service)
  • Will the Smartthings app be able to connect to the servers from Netherlands?
  • The Smartthing power plug is useless?
  • I believe the frequencies are the same as in UK as Netherlands so that should work?

The customer service of Samsung strongly recommended to wait until it is released in Netherlands, but they had no clue when (and if) this will happen…