[SmartThings Edge] Video capabilities in drivers

Are the video-related capabilities supported in Edge yet? I’d like to explore creating a driver for ONVIF-compliant video cameras and use the videoStream capability.

4 Likes

I really wanted my onvif cameras to work on ST

Hi, @TAustin.
AFAIK, there is no restriction on which capabilities work on each integration type. What can happen is that certain capabilities need a special configuration like video capabilities do.
To see the video plugin, you need to use a configuration similar to the one in the RSTP or WebRTC profiles I shared in the post below:

In the case of Edge drivers, you define the profile instead of using the profile IDs but you need to use the same presentation ID.
You can see all those configurations using this command:

smartthings deviceprofiles profileID [-y,-j]

Please, let me know if you have any questions.

4 Likes

Including onvif camera feeds would be a popular option

1 Like

Would also be very useful to have an onvif capable camera feed ON a tile the same size as home monitor on the (favorites) page, should be called (home) but i wont go there

But non the less having live feeds of cameras on a larger tile without actually tapping the tile to see the output would be very very useful

Currently not achievable but perhaps could be suggested back to ST devs

I don’t know if this is what you mean, but my Ring cameras in the ST Camera Group all show live views when you click into the group. The individual cameras do not need to be tapped. However, this only works when I’m on my home wifi.

I only have 1 camera that is currently supported by ST, an old Nest cam, tried to create a group to test if i could see a live view without clicking into the devices tile and i just get an error messsge saying not possible

What capability is included in device profile d1fddebd-137b-47fa-a05a-6e8329de19e0. I have video doorbell for that i want to send doorbell press event to smarthing using st-schema and doorbell supports webrtc also .

What is the best suited device profile for that ?

Hi, @mohits, you can see which capabilities are included in a device profile with the following ST CLI command:

smartthings deviceprofiles d1fddebd-137b-47fa-a05a-6e8329de19e0 -j

Unfortunately, it doesn’t have many capabilities and as it has a special UI configured, so, you cannot create a custom one because you would still need to use that UI for the camera plugin to appear and it only includes the existing capabilities in the profile.

Hi @nayelyz , If i make custom device profile then how can i configure UI for that ? I tried to create device profile with webrtc , videostrean and health check but didn’t get camera view UI in smarthing app for this.

My experience is that you can’t with Edge drivers/devices. You can include a videoStream capability in a device profile, but the only way to be able to view the video stream is by making the device a member of a camera group and then opening the group. There is no way to display video in the device Controls screen directly.

Sadly, right now, the official word from SmartThings is that they don’t support video in Edge drivers.

Although any camera control will be a richer experience in the devices native app, due to the fact that Smartthings does include camera viewing in the ST app on Tvs it is about time some form of connection is allowed from edge to Tv which includes streaming

Didn’t they say in some snippet at last years SDC they were working on a much better, local video camera integration?

Edit: I don’t have time to revisit the whole SDC sessions. But looks like one of the SDC22 tech sessions mentioned it

1 Like

I (hope) it happens Graham and i also hope it allows streaming to the ST enabled Televisions which have an option to display detected movement in a window on the Tv, this to me is the wholly grail of Cctv security at home

However there have been many announcements throughout the years and as we all know, very few ever make production

1 Like