"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

So you were using both the Samsung connect app, and the SmartThings app (now called ST classic) before?

Where in this post am I incorrect then? I simply stated that you would have to have a phone that it was pre loaded on already or that you would have had to have downloaded/installed it yourself.

I didn’t say anything in the post that had anything to do with whether you should use it or not.

There was an additional email that went out that stated you do not need to do anything at this moment and they would notify you of next steps, but my post was only referring to how the app would make it onto your phone.

This email was sent on March 5th.

Everyone is trying to determine all the different sources, instructions, product owners and different communications received on instructing them to do something specific or what support has told them to do.

I think everyone is trying to understand and help mitigate more damage being done based on all these different scenarios that have caused people whether by communications or taking it upon themselves to go play and break things.

I stand by my original statements that SmartThings can minimize what all of this has caused just in the community alone, by posting a new topic including everything that all of us have relayed back to customers in a brand new topic so that this doesn’t continue to spiral downwards.

I’m not blaming the customers (other than those that only had the old app, saw the email and installed anyway and blew up their apps/environments and then want to blame everyone else) for not having a clear and concise set of instructions on what they are supposed to do next. :slight_smile:

It’s bad enough that there have been countless outages since the beginning of the year and then add in the unfortunate way that ST decided to communicate the existence of the new app and allowing it to run side by side and not taking into account the different user base they directed to use the new app (Connect Home Pro users) versus those that were not supposed to touch it yet.

1 Like

Also, account migration beta users with S8, S8+, and Note 8 we requested to try the Connect app.

Screenshot_2018-03-17-08-17-52-1

Yep, I mentioned all of us Account Migration Beta users yesterday. There are so many different sets of users coming in from so many different angles:

1. Connect Home (Router/Hub) users instructed to use the app.

2. Account Migration Beta users - Different communications sent asto try it out. 2nd Home location created and people with Samsung appliances or TV’s had these devices inserted into 2nd location and for the rest it was just a phantom Home location.

3. People with appliances that ether had the Samsung Smart Home app and then downloaded the new Samsung Connect app months ago.

4. People with Samsung TVs that won’t work in Classc App told by Support to install new app to be able to have their tv compatible.

5. ADT Security system users - No idea what communications were sent for these customers.

6. The rogue group who are only ST accounts with a V1 or v2 who took it upon themselves to investigate (includes me but I understand risk if I break it) and in turn messed up their environments.

The list goes on and on and the only way the bleeding is going to stop or at least puting a tourniquet on the artery to minimize the bleeding, is that SmartThings staff draft up an entire topic that addresses everything needed and every type of customer. The FAQ they created only goes so far and doesn’t cover every scenario.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000114006-New-SmartThings-app-FAQ

This is the same type of thing where OFFICIAL (not even community posts) SmartThings articles still show that people should login to graph.api… instead of https://account.smartthings.com. We were told that because they are creaing new documentation for the future app, they don’t see revisng these documents as feasible.

Here’s an example of that:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200962880-How-do-Modes-work-in-SmartThings-Classic-

SmartThings staff draft up an entire topic that addresses everything needed and every type of customer.

I gave up suggesting the forum have a dedicated section headed with an st explanation

Age old communication errors, just like Microsoft

1 Like

Out of everything they have done over the last year, this is one of a very small set of topics that should have made it’s way into Announcements, and still should based on the continued fallout and confusion that surrounds this topic.

4 Likes

A dedicated section would serve to pool information for developers AND users, kinda reason forums exist !!! But as you say WB… Announcements section will have all the info users need…

3 Likes

The SmartThings staff have told us that the email sent, the in app notification and the FAQ should have clarified everything for all these people. When we brought this to their attention, they stated to us in the forum that they don’t believe that an additional post would help the community. I know how much they go above and beyond but in this case and the continued fallout that this presents for a wide array of customers and different entry points with different instructions for different types of customers with different products/hubs, it’s ridiculous (but expected) that they haven’t posted a full blown article to reign all of this in, minimizing the situation.

3 Likes

“The new SmartThings app is our first step towards making this happen, and brings simplicity and connectivity to a wider range of smart devices so our users can easily and securely control their homes, and is available to download now from the Google Play and Apple App Stores”

So it’s here, it’s available for download, but for the love of god don’t install it… Which being a phone app - at least in my Apple ecosystem, installs when you download it… So I guess I should say, “download and install it, but do-not click on it!”

I think they’ve pulled it from the Apple App Store thankfully. But the point is. They should have never released something broken and unusable into the the wild. Especially if doing so is breaking people’s device networks…

I read the part that says “don’t use it” and I didn’t. But if you know anything about human behavior and designing applications for humans. You NEVER put the ”launch nuclear winter” button in a common access area and then expect a sign that says “don’t push” above it to keep it from getting pressed.

Shame on Samsung. Bad, Bad Samsung.

As for f-bombs, grow up. They are words… And I was using them as adjectives to express my disgust. Not directing them towards an individual. You have 76.5 years on average on this magical ball of rock floating in space. Fretting over utterances of sounds gennerated by silly animals is wasting your life…

2 Likes

Still showing in the Apple App Store for me. Note: It only shows up on an iPhone 5s or newer. It does not show up at all if you’re on an iPad.

1 Like

Gonna have to respectfully disagree there. Your personal feelings about dropping f-bombs isn’t the standard to which community members are held.

https://community.smartthings.com/guidelines#be-civil

Obviously you don’t have to agree, but you don’t have to post in this forum either if you don’t agree with the community guidelines.

8 Likes

5 Likes

Consider the source (the guy pushing the button) :slight_smile: Why am I not at all surprised?

So I have a SAMSUNG Galaxy S4 and the new app is not compatible, great :+1: doesn’t even appear in a search in the play store.

I have been thinking about getting a new phone so maybe now is the time. Not too pleased I’m being forced into this by ST though! There’s not actually anything wrong with my S4.

The question is, how do I know that the new phone will be compatible? Been looking at getting a Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus. Anyone know if this will work?

TIA

Chances are that the reason it’s not compatible is because of the Display resolution on your phone. This has been reported by a few Samsung customers in the past with apps not being compatible, not just ST. However if it isn’t showing when you search period, that is a blessing in disguise.

With that being said, DO NOT install the New App. It’s not ready and will only cause you problems if you start messing with it. It’s adds no value to you right now until it’s ready and they instruct people that they must convert over (this is months away at least).

1 Like

Look into the One Plus phone. Always been compatible with ST from their 1st model phone and no pre installed bloat ware!

The new app requires Android 6.0(Marshmallow) or later.
2GB Ram+, 1280x720(HD), 1920x1080(HD), 2560x1440(WQHD)

Unless your phone is rooted, I believe that the S4 was not upgraded to Android 6.0.

I don’t believe the new app is compatible with tablets either.

1 Like

A new update for the new app (Smarththings/Samsung Connect) is available. I’m only posting the screenshots to show what they are listing as capabilities / requirements / prerequisites, so everyone can read where they currently are with the app.

I AM IN NO WAY ADVISING OR RECOMMENDING THAT YOU INSTALL THE APP OR UPDATE IT. I HAVE TURNED AUTO UPDATE OFF ON MY PHONE FOR THIS APP TO PREVENT ANY DAMAGE BEING DONE TO MY CURRENT ENVIRONMENT. AS I HAVE STATED BEFORE AND WITH PREVIOUS TESTS PERFORMED, I BELIEVE THAT THE NEW APP IS SHARING THE SAME IDE AS YOUR CLASSIC APP USES AND ANY CHANGES YOU MAKE IN THE NEW APP, COULD HAVE ADVERSE RESULTS IN YOUR CURRENT ENVIRONMENT. I LEARNED THIS BY TURNING OFF LOCATION SERVICES IN THE NEW APP AND IT REMOVING MY MOBILE PHONE FROM MY CURRENT IDE WHICH IMPACTED MY OVERALL ST ENVIRONMENT.

1 Like

Incompatible with tablets? Dang!

I guess I don’t have to ask if it has voice navigation, no accessibility expert would have said a phone – only app would be acceptable. :disappointed_relieved:

8 Likes