"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

It looks like a European version of the Samsung connect home device that’s a combined WiFi mesh router and ST hub (released in the US last year).

Edit: totally worth discussing, but maybe create a new thread if you want to talk about it more?

1 Like

No. It’s a new model of the “Samsung Connect Home,” which is a combination mesh WiFi router and SmartThings IOT hub. The US version has been out for about a year.

The manual you linked to is clearly intended for the UK market (among other things, it says “English (UK)” ). But otherwise it looks nearly identical to the manual for the existing Samsung Connect Home which was originally certified a year ago.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2257

It looks like they may just be changing the name, maybe to avoid confusion with Google Home and to get “SmartThings” back into the name. And preparing to release the UK version. :sunglasses:

The multiple hubs thing is how they do Wi-Fi mesh with that particular model line. Only one of the units acts as an IOT hub.

1 Like

and I got all excited for no reason. Thanks for the clarification :slight_smile:

1 Like

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Hubs

Here’s a blurb from within:

Announced but not Yet Available

In addition, the following devices have been certified with third-party organizations, but have not yet been released for sale and no timeline has been announced:

Samsung Connect (UK), model numbers ET-WV522, ET-WV532, —>ET-WV523<—, ET-WV533

SmartThings Extend for Samsung smart televisions (US), model numbers F-USB-US-V1

2 Likes

So, correct me if I am wrong (and I may very well be). Unless you are running a Samsung phone, the new app would not show up for existing users without explicitly searching for it in the store? The current app updates as SmartThings Classic, and the description says not do anything yet.

So…

Even if you didn’t read the email announcement existing users are still explicitly searching for the new app and installing it.

Again, maybe I am wrong, but I know as an existing user on an iPhone I would only know about the new app if I did a SmartThings search in the app store. I would then be shown two apps by Samsung, both with descriptions.

It will also show up as an update for iPhone users if you previously had the Samsung Connect app installed. That would include people who had the Samsung connect home Wi-Fi mesh system, some of the smart appliances, and some of the smart televisions.

2 Likes

This is a correct statement. Unless you have a Samsung phone that came preloaded with Samsung Connect (New App), you would have had to have manually gone to the store and downloaded / installed it.

It also shows up as an update for those who previously had the “Samsung connect” app installed, regardless of the phone type. Even iPhone users got an update message. See above.

Which would had to have been manually downloaded by the individual.

They would’ve had to manually download it at the time that they set up their Samsung connect home system, which could’ve been several months ago. Nothing to do with the new app – – that’s how you set up that device. No different then getting the old SmartThings app to set up that hub.

The New app is the Samsung Connect app. It’s one in the same. Just renamed.

Outside of Samsung Connect owners who specifically downloaded the app and those with Samsung phones with the Connect app preloaded, everyone else is manually downloading the app that shouldn’t be. I think that’s the point/statement that you and me are both replying to from that community member… And that the email that came along and sent to all v2 Hub users / SmartThings accounts that stated, don’t do anything now, we will let you know next steps have ignored that email.

Regardless, ST created an unnecessary pain point that could have been avoided.

2 Likes

Agreed. People who already have the classic app and are seeking out the new “SmartThings” app to install it for the first time should not be doing that unless they were told to do that by support.

There are multiple reasons why someone might be told by support to install the new app, which was my point. I was just suggesting we shouldn’t assume that someone who is now posting to the forum about problems caused themselves those problems just because they were curious.

If they have Samsung connect, if they have one of the smart televisions, if they have some of the smart appliances, they may be told to use the new app.

If they buy a new Samsung connect or a new Samsung smart television, the user guide will tell them to install the new app.

If they buy a new galaxy phone, it will come with the new app preinstalled.

I think @tgauchat was making the point that if, for example, someone bought a new phone of any brand but a different ecosystem than their old phone and searched an App Store and saw the new SmartThings app, they shouldn’t be penalized for downloading it at that point. So that’s yet another group.

So again, multiple reasons why someone might have downloaded the new app and gotten themselves into trouble. Which, as you very rightly out, is both unfortunate and should have been avoidable.

5 Likes

Oh I agree. Add in the Account migration beta users on top of that and it adds another set of people.

I myself have messed with both and having been doing comparisons with Jimmy just for the sake of seeing what kind of progress has been made and differences in the UI with respect to Android and IOS, but I’m more aware than the average user of both apps so I tread lightly and that’s on me if I break something in my environment.

Had ST communicated this up front in one giant email and community post it could have at least minimized some of the drama that this whole thing has caused and cover every scenario for all the different product owners and what to expect and what to do next.

I was only penalizing the users who it was known are a SmartThings account only and a standard hub and took it upon themselves to go experiment and then accidentally trashed their environment and got upset about how their environment got reset, regardless of having received the email.

Better communication could have come from the top down explaining in a more granular way of what is to come and exactly what and what not to do right now depending on what type of customer you are and that support should be made aware of the same customer base and when specifically to mention the new app. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You are wrong. I’ve an iPhone and I had Samsung Connect app installed (it let me control my TV). I was notified of an update to that app via the App Store before I read any email from Samsung. And that update did not mention that existing SmartThings users should not update.

2 Likes

This is an incorrect statement.

2 Likes

Got it. I just looked at the new apps description and nowhere does it warn users not to install. That is very shortsighted by Samsung.

2 Likes

Then please explain to us how the new SmartThings App (Samsung Connect) ended up on your IPhone without you initially installing it from the App Store, whether it was from a notification, an email or some other link you received.

It didn’t come with the IPhone preloaded so please explain to us so we can understand how it initially came to be on your phone. I’m not talking about an update that you did to it to update the existing version.

I’m talking about how it was initially downloaded and installed on your phone so that we can include it to additional scenarios for people.

Your previous two posts don’t explain in detail as to how this could have happened other than “I’ve an iPhone and I had Samsung Connect app installed (it let me control my TV).”, which still tells me that at some point early on, you manually installed the Samsung Connect App yourself to gain control of your TV through that new app.

Well, for the record, I had the “Samsung Smart Home” app installed to get notifications from my oven.

I was migrated from that to Connect last year as the old app was being discontinued.

I can’t remember if I went to the play store to download it under instruction, or whether I was directed there or it happened automatically, but I don’t think there’s a great deal of difference as I was directed to do so.

That had nothing to do with ST at the time.

It’s really quite simple. I installed Samsung Connect a couple of months ago to control my TV. Samsung updated the app and I got a notification from the App Store that it had been updated, I updated it. Nowhere did Samsung say I should not use it,

1 Like

There are a lot of people that had Connect installed from owning a Samsung appliance, robot vacuum, etc.

1 Like