Smartthings App not showing "Power Meter"

Thanks!

It seems to be something special is going on. There are a few similar reports as @buster’s.

And

So there is definitely a bug in the app. Must be some clever solution again, and probably who coded it has no idea what is the difference between kW, MW and GW. (Like the temperature converter was recently.)

@Brad_ST, @dckirker, @steven.green, @jody.albritton

Can one of you have a look what is causing this GigaWatt flip over on the UI?

Hi

I’ve seen the same and reported it to Aeotec … who support is more responsive than ST by far but resolutions are just as bad … they totally skipped that point and just gave stock answers to repair the device. So if that’s a sign of things to come from the ST+Aeotec partnership I don’t think any future solutions are going to be any better than the unreliable ST platform is today.

So sorry no fix that I know but if you find one please do share .

I’ve now used simple event viewer into Google sheets to chart my data and that seems to work well. Once I’ve got it all working and tested I’ll publish the scripts and methods I’ve used .

Andy

Timely discussion. I noticed this on my gen1 HEM a couple weeks ago, and I changed nothing on my end, so I ignored it because this has happened before. Usually I see ST round to the nearest kw (1200 watts rounded to 1.2kw), but never gigawatts. This happens with both my own DTH and ST’s stock handler.

Can anyone confirm if the current “default” device handlers loaded on Samsung/ST servers matches the default one in the GitHUB repo? How often does ST refresh from GitHub?

Also, pulled an old iphone out with SmartThings classic on it. While it was brutal with all the pop ups, all devices are reporting properly into the SmartThings classic app.

I’ve managed to reproduce it (Android). It is definitely a bug in the app probably the UX plugin for the Power Meter capability representation.

I turned on a heater which has a decent power consumption.

And the Power Meter flips to GigaWatts…

1 Like

The displays in the new app are quite disconnected from the DHs. The displays in the new app are Capability representations. Some/most Capability has a representation on the UI/UX in a way how ST defined it. If some other way, differently should be the Capabilities represented then a vid can be created. It is all disconnected from the DH in that way, that the code for any representation is not coded in the DH but on the new SmartThings API and the list of Capabilities or a defined vid in the DH code assigns what should be visible in the new app.
In your case the DH code doesn’t make any difference, it is the Capability representation which has been screwed up.
Some reference to understand how the UI is working in the new app:

2 Likes

And actually it turns back to Watts if the load is less than a kiloWatt.

1 Like

I’ve noticed the same thing with a smartthings plug and when it goes below 1kw it reports correctly. Anything above 1000w shows as 0.0GW. smartthings app running on Android 10. Logs correctly in Google sheets logger and sharp tools tiles

Report it to support@smartthings.com so they can document the problem and prioritize the fix accordingly.

Discovered the Contact Us > Report Problem option in the app, so reported issue via that route including uploading the log file generated from the app. Received email confirmation from support 24hrs later.

Did that, but I have about as much confidence in them fixing it, as calling Comcast for help.

2 Likes

I didn’t want to imply the same but it was on my mind

1 Like

Can anyone confirm if SmartThings actually updates their repository of Device Handler from GitHunb?

If so how often do they refresh?

Yup, they do.

They very likely have a formal change management process in place, but if you look at the dates in GitHub, you can see when they update their stuff:

This change is not a GitHub DH change, but a change in the API, the capability representation of the Power Meter capability.

More like an UNDO vs CHANGE, it worked right for years. I wish they would give access to the code to @RBoy cause we know he could fix it.

@buster, I believe this issue has been fixed. I can see kWatt again in the app.

I don’t think it’s quite right, at least for HEM devices. It’s rounding to kW’s vs showing the full watts value. I can see the full watts value in the dashboard for an HEM, but when going into the details it shows that value in kW’s. I expect Energy consumption to also be rounded up to gWh as well once I get there this month. I have to wait a few more days since I reset my HEM at the beginning of every month.

1 Like

i would expect MWh… (Mega), if the engineer who programmed that was aware between the difference of kilo, Mega, Giga…

Otherwise, regarding the dashboard and details view, I understand your point. Nothing can be perfect… It is far more better than what we can expect, knowing that none of these things has ever passed any QC/QA. :rofl:

2 Likes

I fear the problem is that they HAVE passed QC/QA. They just shouldn’t have done.

2 Likes