SmartLighting lights come on randomly

SmartThings noob here. Switched from OpenHAB to a SmartHub V2 a month or so ago and set up my front lights in SmartLighting as my first automation to come on at 5:30pm and go off at 11:30pm and have had nothing but problems. I have seen topics in the past regarding this problem but I’m been having it since day 1. Either the lights don’t come on when they should or they come on at random times for no discernible reason. I had a time zone issue earlier when they were coming on according to UTC rather than local time(Eastern US) but that cleared up on it’s own after a couple days. And then it appeared to take it a day or so to catch up with the time change last week. Those issues were annoying and, frankly. unacceptable for a commercial product from a company as big as Samsung but at least I could explain it. But yesterday they came on at like 10am and I have no idea why. I removed SmartLighting to stop it but if this is the kind of performance I can expect I’ll go back to OpenHAB. The SmartThings interface is slicker and scheduling lighting is easier than using Google Calendar but if it’s going to fail so spectacularly on a regular basis then it’s not worth it at all.

It really seems like it’s turned the lights on at the wrong time more times than it’s turned them on at the right time.

I just checked the log and it appears that it’s using UTC again instead of Eastern.

2017-11-20 12:30:11.081 AM UTC
15 hours ago DEVICE switch off Front Lights switch is off
2017-11-19 9:54:47.706 PM UTC
18 hours ago DEVICE switch on Front Lights switch is on
2017-11-19 9:30:01.813 PM UTC
18 hours ago APP_COMMAND off Turn on Front Lights at 5:30 PM and off at 9:30 PM sent off command to Front Lights
2017-11-19 6:41:05.924 PM UTC
21 hours ago DEVICE switch off Front Lights switch is off
2017-11-19 5:30:05.868 PM UTC
22 hours ago DEVICE switch on Front Lights switch is on
2017-11-19 5:30:03.814 PM UTC
22 hours ago APP_COMMAND on Turn on Front Lights at 5:30 PM and off at 9:30 PM se

I think you’ll need to contact support about that as that shouldn’t be happening :frowning:
Maybe once they’ve fixed it your automations should be ok

Also make sure you sent the location of your hub which in turn sets the time zone. If you’;ve done that go back into your routine and just next through it and click Done or Finish again to “re-initialize” the routine.

What switch/outlet are you using? Using the default DTH?

I’m using a GE Z-Wave in wall switch. It works perfectly manually through the app the automation just keeps going nuts on me.

How do I sent the location?

Go to https://graph.api.smartthings.com/hub/ then in the list where it says “Location” click your hubs name on the right. From there you can hit edit and select your location if it’s not set.

If it is set either delete the routine or just click through it until the Done button. I have multiple Smart Lighting routines running without issue so it’s probably something simple. But if not support is your next option.

1 Like

It’s set to Home but there’s no region/timezone/location information in there at all. No idea what timezone it thinks I’m in.

Update: Managed to set the location by moving the pin in the app on my phone. It’s now showing coordinates and the correct timezone in the IDE.

I’ll try setting up the automatic light switching and see what happens.

3 Likes

Hey, @Arkkous, I am having a similar issue? Did this solve it?