Smarthings Outlet. Fire Hazard

You might need to cross your fingers a bit more… My RMA was sent to Samsung on the 11th December and I’ve still not received the replacement… I’ve confirmed they received it and they always act like it’s nearly sorted but it’s certainly not a quick process!

@Rich_Nicholls
@bennetm3
@inpier
@mkdr30

Sorry to tag you all - are your Heiman plugs still working?
I find that after joining them they appear to stop working after a few days. Weirdly though, I can’t trigger on/off from the ST app, but if I turn it on/off physically on the plug, it does update the status in ST.

I purchased 6 in total, after trying 2 successfully for a couple of days but I’m tempted to send them all back.

Thanks.

Mine was about the same time, with the issues they had i am not surprised things will take a bit of time, for all we know they may be having new ones produced which takes time

Ive got 4 of these and not had any issues with them. Been in and working for 2+ months now. Although resetting the KW does not work after the first time and you have to manually refresh to get a current power usage but apart from that they do the job. For £33 for 2 they are well worth the price.

Also. These are executed from the cloud and not local. Any issues with your internet at time of app control and they might not work.

No problems with any of mine, but then I only usually operate them from SmartThings / Alexa.

Just tried operating one using the switch and it updated straight away.

You might want to send them back after my latest post

Them plugs are rated at 12 Amps and if you have been operating them at arround 10-12 amps continous a good chance the receptical was running hot. Also when the heather kicks in at higher temps it must caused the internal fuse/link in receptical to melt/burn.

Being an electrical engineer I can tell you never plug heaters in a smart receotical plug into outlet or extension cord or power bar its asking for trouble. Pluging haethers in thess type of plug cause hot spots at each receptical thats in line with heather thus increasing current which most case can heat up to point of fite. Plug one in any smart receptical power bar etc and look at the plugs with ir camera and you will see for yourself! Cc

Really?
Care to explain why your " safety features" don’t work?
And why it has took you 11 months to look in to this?

1 Like

Received my replacement st plug yesterday and all working as expected with no issues, thank you St peeps very much appreciated :grin:

1 Like

My guess is they will say exactly what has been cleared by their legal team and nothing more.

4 Likes

One of my Power Outlet’s stopped working the other day after using it for 2 months (no fire). Currys PC World replaced it the following day but the day after that they called me to say that Smartthings starter kit had been recalled by Samsung and they gave me a full refund even for the additional bits I purchased. I’ve now gone done the TP-Link route for power outlets, easy to use, quick to setup and no hub required.

It’s been recalled? This is such a mystery. I’m really beginning to regret choosing SmartThings as my smart home hub of choice. My home alarms keep going off because it’s losing contact with our presence fobs. I really need to get hold of some power outlets to boost the signal as I’m not sure how much longer my family will put up with this. I can’t believe how much we’re being kept in the dark by Samsung.

I got a replacement Samsung power outlet for my one that went faulty and they’ve redesigned it. You can change the fuse now and it’s rated at 13A instead. However, I’ve replaced all of my ones with the Heimann plugs instead. Given the post above by kingdowney, are they just as bad?

Just checked, and hive has dropped the price by £10. :sunglasses:

Since the echo plus and smartthings use the same zigbee profile, I’ve been hoping that we would start to see more devices available.

Also, a couple of people have asked me for the link to the securifi peanut zigbee pocket socket, but I’m having trouble finding the UK version. If anyone has it please post it.

I do hope that’s just a wrong picture. That’s a US plug.

Oops! My bad, Looks like that’s the US model even though it’s being offered in the UK. It was also manufactured in the U.K. format, but now I’m not sure who’s selling it. I removed the link from my post above.

1 Like

I also have 4 of these sockets - I"m having exactly the same problem as @Lloyd_Williams, initially they all seemed to work great (purchased in December). Now on my SmartThings mobile app they are mostly, but not always, listed as “Unavailable”. If I press the control anyway it does usually switch the socket successfully, but SmartThings doesn’t appear to receive a status from the socket and has no idea if it’s on/off.
This week one of them appears to have packed up completely - pressing the button directly on the socket won’t switch it, I have to turn it off/on to get it working, but it soon fails again.
Disappointed as these socket otherwise seem good.
David

I managed to get mine working again with a reboot of my ST hub. Looked like the zwave network had gone a bit iffy.

I just found this thread. I have 3 Samsung Smartplugs, two in starter kits from Curries and Maplin and one other from Maplin. Should I contact Samsung for replacements? Very disappointed they have not recalled these by contacting users. They must know who is using these potential fire traps. I am going to remove mine until this is resolved. I just recently put a heater on one. Well within their specification, but I am taking no chances. The other 2 are on LED table lamps.

I am also using some Hive smart plugs and they are OK. They too had early problems but I checked and mine are the newest ones.

Edit

I have emailed support for an answer to my question about getting replacements.

I have added photos of the 3 devices, and note that 1 is only rated at 12A has no BS number and no replaceable fuse. The other 2 are BS marked and 13A rated with fuses.

2 Likes