Smarthings and Minoston Outdoor Outlet

I’ve factory reset this thing like 50 times. Nothing I do gets this thing to connect or show up in any way. What gives? Their instructions about edge driver stuff make no sense and are impossible to follow because I can’t get into any kind of desktop browser web console anymore.

Is there an updated guide on how to do all this now that that’s all completely gone?

There’s a Community FAQ you can start with:

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

But separately from that stuff, that’s a Z wave device, right? Have you excluded it to clear out any old network information? That’s usually the first troubleshooting step for any zwave device that won’t add.

Also, this might help:

Life after the IDE: Questions and Answers

Unhelpful. How do I connect this device in the app? There is no edge anything. There is nowhere to log into in order to use whatever this edge stuff is. I read all of that and it makes no sense whatsoever. I see no way to do whatever it is they want me to do to this device.

There are no longer any exclusion settings in the app.

1 Like

I’m just going to return it and try another brand.

1 Like

Yeah, unfortunately, it has often been said in this community that smartthings is very powerful, but not necessarily very discoverable. I’m sure it’s been very frustrating. :disappointed_relieved:

My apologies, from your first post, I thought you were a power user who was asking questions about the transition from the old pre-2023 architecture to the new architecture, and would be familiar with most of the essential smartthings concepts and terminologies. I didn’t realize this was all new to you. (As it was to each of us at some point.)

So… yeah, you’re going to be best served by looking for something that works off the shelf with no custom software required.

As far as how you connect with a device in the app that doesn’t require custom code, it’s pretty straightforward:

1. choose the plus sign in the upper right
  2. choose “add device”
  3. choose “by brand”
  4. find the brand you want and see which models have official integrations
  5. follow those instructions

Which exact model do you have? I see that Minoston makes both Wi-Fi ( MP22W) and Z wave outdoor smart plugs(MP24Z) , so that can make a difference. :thinking:

Also, just to be sure, we should also ask if you do have a Smartthings/Aeotec hub and if so, which model? And which country you are in? The device selection can vary.

They are still there, but they have moved to a different section. That’s covered in the “life after the IDE“ topic I linked to above. Here’s the specific post that explains:

Supposedly what I ordered was both a Zwave and energy monitor outlet in one.

Yeah I had not had to add a new device in a couple years so I missed this entire transition.

I did actually find the exclusion settings but they are not helpful. There is no way to both put this into exclusion and also add a device at the same time.

My rule of thumb is that if it’s an off the shelf device and I spend more than one hour attempting to add it. It’s worthless.

I’m willing to jump through hoops for devices that are clearly supposed to be jumped through hoops for. An outlet? Ridiculous.

It’s adding a device bought from Amazon. There is zero reason that doing that should ever involve anything but one button and 60 seconds max.

Thanks

1 Like

Agreed. :sunglasses: the problem is smartthings puts its own architecture layer over the top of the third-party standards, and that makes stuff complicated.

The best hope for the future is the new industrywide standard called Matter. All the big home automation companies have signed onto it, including Amazon, Apple, Google, IKEA, Philips hue, SmartThings, Tuya, and a bunch more. Devices will use Wi-Fi, thread, or can be bridged (which Philips hue will do with their zigbee bulbs). Their number one goal is exactly what you described: very very easy onboarding to any of the many different mattercompliant platforms.

But while it has been officially released, each of the partner companies has so far only implemented part of the matter standard, and it’s rolling out pretty slowly. It’s likely we’re another year away from true inter-platform compatibility. So there’s hope on the horizon, but we’re not there yet. :thinking:

At least everybody now agrees that the way it is now is way too crazy complicated.

Yeah. Everyone wants there to be one ring to rule them all. It’s like no, the devices should be universally connectable. They do their device thing. The control layer should be where the problems are. All control layers should be able to add new devices while blindfolded. The control layer itself is where the complexities should lie.

1 Like

Excluding a device in the ST app is a single menu function under your hub tile menu (3 dots). Put the device into exclusion mode according to the manual.

Then put the device into inclusion mode (follow the manual again), add the device with + and “scan nearby”. I NEVER use “by brand” or “by type”.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you’re talking about. Exclusion mode just sits there doing nothing awaiting me to do something on the device. I do not see anything called inclusion mode anywhere. Just scan nearby. I tried both. Neither do anything after probably 50 attempts at each plus factory resets.

It’s fine. Buying something else and crossing my fingers that it just works.

That’s how exclusion works for every zwave device, whether it’s with smartthings or not. Requiring you to do something physical with the device is a security feature of the independent third-party Z wave specification because it proves that you already have physical access to the device and you aren’t standing outside the house trying to say, remove a smart lock or security sensor from the account.

Usually it’s a specific tap pattern, but the user manual for the device should tell you what physical steps you have to take with it to get it to accept an exclusion command from the network.

If you don’t want to have to do that, then you’ll have to avoid zwave devices altogether. Stick with Wi-Fi, Thread, or zigbee, which all use a different security method.

Oh I totally understand that. I attempted every click combination that the instruction manual had. Nothing happened. There was nothing to remove anyway since the issue is the device cannot be discovered.

Exclusion isn’t about removing a zwave device from your ST account. It’s about removing network ID information stored in the end device that might be preventing it from being added to a new network. Any new network. That’s why Z wave exclusion is usually the first troubleshooting step when you are having difficulty adding a new zwave device.

Zwave is unusual in that most other protocols give each device a unique device ID which is assigned at the time of manufacture. Zwave instead has the hub for a new network give each device its network ID at the time that it joins. So when you first add a device to a Z wave network, it gets two pieces of information: the hub’s ID and its own ID on that hub’s network. It stores this information in its own firmware. Until those two fields are cleared, the device will refuse to join any other hub’s network.

There are pluses and minuses to this approach, but it just is the way the independent third-party zwave standard decided to handle joining a new network.

Of course, they understood that you might not have the original hub anymore. The hub itself might have been damaged, you might have bought the end device used, sometimes it’s even that a brand new end device was connected to a test network at the factory and they didn’t clear the information properly before shipping it out.

So the specification allows ANY Z wave hub to issue a “general exclusion“ command, which can be heard by any nearby Z wave device. That device will then only act on the exclusion command. The device doesn’t ever have to have been connected to that hub’s network. So you have to do something to tell it to accept the instruction to clear the old information, usually a very specific tap pattern. You can’t just guess at what it is, you have to look it up in the user manual. And usually you only have about 30 seconds or so to do the tap pattern at the time that the hub is broadcasting the general exclusion.

You still haven’t mentioned the model number for the specific plug which is giving you difficulty. (The Tap pattern can be different on different models even from the same manufacturer.)

If it does happen to be the MP22Z model, there is a “programming button” on the top of the case. You issue a general exclusion from the smartthings hub and then you have to quickly triple press the programming button. You should see the LED on the plug start blinking rapidly. At that point, the exclusion command should be accepted.

So there is both a required action (triple press the button) and a required sequence. (use the smartthings app to issue the general exclusion, then quickly do the triple press on the plug and you should then see the plug’s LED start blinking rapidly).

After the exclusion is complete, then you just go through the normal ad process of adding a new device.

Here’s the user manual for the model that I mentioned:

Again, this is very typical of a Z wave device, nothing specific to smartThings.

Yes that’s the model. Yes I did all of that.

1 Like

Could just be a defective device, then. It happens with all electronics from time to time. Very annoying when it does happen, though. :rage: