Z-Wave connection tip: un-enroll devices

(Scott Newman) #1

I was extremely frustrated last night when trying to connect a bunch of Z-Wave lamp modules that had been previously used on a Nexia system. Luckily, I still had the old Nexia controller sitting in a box, so I plugged in a battery and followed the process to remove the devices. Once I did that, the modules immediately connected to my SmartThings hub.

Hope this helps someone!

(Gray) #2

There wouldn’t be a way to do this without a non-SmartThings hub, would there?

(Scott Newman) #3

I wish I knew the answer; I don’t have a good grasp on how Z-Wave works. (I’m glad SmartThings does) I was so frustrated last night I was ready to send back my kit.

Somehow the device is remembering that it was enrolled - you’d think there would be a way to reset it.

(Andrew Urman) #4

Z-Wave devices stay paired to a controller unless told to leave. Even if you factory reset it. Any Z-Wave controller can remove any Z-Wave device from any Z-Wave network.

So if you had devices paired to an old hub/controller, you can remove them using ANY hub/controller.

(Cory S) #5

Man you could have a lot of fun unpairing a friends network with a pocket controller… Not that I’d do something so juvenile :slight_smile:

(Dave) #6

Interesting. So if a Z-Wave device can be unpaired using any controller, then it should have been possible for Scott to unpair his devices using the SmartThings hub, no? Or is it not what Z-Wave recognizes as a “controller.”

Thanks.
Dave

(Cory S) #7

The hub can unpair it, but the interface doesn’t currently expose uenrolling a device that isnt already present. I believe they can kick that off manually. I have also heard they plan to rework the entire process to be more user friendly.

(Coolcatiger) #8

can a z wave device be controlled from multiple controllers ? e.g. ST and non-ST hubs.

(Dave) #9
can a z wave device be controlled from multiple controllers ? e.g. ST and non-ST hubs.

No. Hence the need to unpair them from a controller.

(Daniel) #10

I wish they’d hurry up and add a way to do a complete un-pair from the smartthings hub. I have a Schlage door/window sensor that is stuck in limbo after I tried to remove it from within the SmartThings app (there is currently no way to complete this process).

(Cory S) #11

@Daniel, being it seems all removing a device does it put the hub in exclusion mode (and deletes the thing from the interface) I wonder if you could delete any other thing and then quickly exclude both of them at the same time.

(Daniel) #12

^that’s worth a shot, I’ll try it when I get home and report back.

(Cory S) #13

@Daniel Just make sure the exclude the newer device first, so that you dont end up with TWO limbo devices :wink:

(Duncan) #14

Don’t try that double-exclusion idea – only one device can be excluded at a time.

I agree this is a major pain. It comes from our devices model being based on how ZigBee devices join/leave a network, but we finally fixed it and you should have proper Z-Wave exclusion very soon.

In the mean time, there is a link in the Z-Wave utilities from the hub view page on the developer site that puts your hub in exclusion mode for 15 seconds. Unfortunately there is a web error on the Z-Wave utilities page right now, but once that works, it should be usable.

(Daniel) #15

Thanks for the info Duncan, looks like I’m going to have to dig in and get my hands dirty. Might even write an app or two, while I’m at it :slight_smile:

(Scott Newman) #16

Thanks, Duncan. Can you let us know when we’ll be able to exclude devices from the hub view page? (is that page hosted on the hub or online?)

I have a used Schlage Deadbolt that refuses to get excluded. I’ve tried both of my old Nexia hubs with no success. I’ve even asked Schlage for help.

(Jim) #17

I have the same problem, I now have a z-wave wall switch, an outlet, and a door lock that are stuck. If there’s a way to do that anywhere I’d appreciate ti.

(Eran) #18

I just used the Exclude Mode feature to unenroll a schlage lock from the network (I had added it manually and wasn’t sure it was properly enrolled). It worked on the first try! I keyed in the programming code into the lock but didn’t hit the command to enroll/unenroll yet. I then set my hub to exclude mode via the zwave utilities on the hub page. Last hit 0 on the lock (that’s the command to enroll/unenroll) and immediately got a green light from the lock – it was no longer part of the network. Note: while the hub page updated immediately, the iphone app required a restart (kill the app and restart it, not the phone) to see the new state.

(Igen) #19

Wait a minute…if any Z-wave hub can unenroll any Z-wave device from any network, doesn’t that suggest anyone with a Z-wave hub could walk up to your house, unenroll all your Z-wave sensors, and break in without being detected? Or is it the case that you can only unenroll a device this way if its currently-configured network is not broadcasting? What am I missing here?

(Andrew Urman) #20

@intelligen you have to physically interact with a device to exclude them from a network. Usually a manual button press.