SmartApp SET/RESUME Schedule of Thermostat when AWAY or returning HOME

SmartApp to SET or RESUME Schedule of a Smart Thermostat when AWAY or returning HOME.

Source code based off of “Keep me cozy”. I use this with my Honeywell WiFi Smart Thermostats (RTH9580WF) but it should work with others. Triggered by change in Mode. For example, if you want to change heating or cooling when AWAY, then select to SET temperature to desired degree and select AWAY mode. When mode changes to AWAY the this app will be triggered and will set/override Thermostat(s) schedule (Permanent Hold) with new temps. If you want to RESUME the normal Thermostat schedule when arriving home, then select RESUME and HOME mode. When mode changes to HOME this app will be triggered to resume the thermostat(s) regular schedule.

You need to import the code below into a new app using the +New SmartApp button under My SmartApps on your account at the Smartthings Developers site.

Sorry, I’m not a professional developer and don’t have time to provide any support for this app. If possible, I’ll try to respond to reasonable inquiries. Otherwise, you’re on your own.

/**
 *  Copyright 2016 M. Fox
 *  Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except
 *  in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
 *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
 *  on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
 *  for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
 *  Based on:
 *  Keep Me Cozy
 *  Author: SmartThings
 */
definition(
    name: "Thermosmart",
    namespace: "foxtechnology",
    author: "M. Fox",
    description: "V1.1n: Changes your thermostat settings automatically in response to a mode change. You can either SET the thermostate to your desired temperature or RESUME the regular schedule. ",
    category: "Green Living",
    iconUrl: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Meta/temp_thermo.png",
    iconX2Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Meta/temp_thermo@2x.png"
)

preferences {
	 page(name: "setThermostat")
}

def setThermostat() {
	dynamicPage(name: "setThermostat", title: null, install: true, uninstall: true) {

section{
			input(name: "thermostats", type: "capability.thermostat", title: "Thermostats",
            	description: null, multiple: true, required: true)
        }

section{
    	    input(name: "state", type: "enum", title: "State", 
            	description: null, multiple: false, required: true, options: ["Set","Resume"], submitOnChange: true)
	    }

section {
            label title: "Assign a name", required: false
            mode title: "Set for specific mode(s)", required: true
        }        

if (settings.state == "Set") {
			section {
				input(name: "heatingSetpoint", type: "number", title: "Heating Setpoint Degrees?", required: true)
            }
            section {
				input(name: "coolingSetpoint", type: "number", title: "Cooling Setpoint Degrees?", required: true) 
			}
		}
	}
}

def installed()
{
	subscribe(thermostats, "heatingSetpoint", heatingSetpointHandler)
	subscribe(thermostats, "coolingSetpoint", coolingSetpointHandler)
	subscribe(thermostats, "temperature", temperatureHandler)
	subscribe(location, changedLocationMode)
	subscribe(app, appTouch)
}

def updated()
{
	unsubscribe()
	subscribe(thermostats, "heatingSetpoint", heatingSetpointHandler)
	subscribe(thermostats, "coolingSetpoint", coolingSetpointHandler)
	subscribe(thermostats, "temperature", temperatureHandler)
	subscribe(location, changedLocationMode)
	subscribe(app, appTouch)
}

def heatingSetpointHandler(evt)
{
	log.debug "heatingSetpointHandler: $evt, $settings"
}

def coolingSetpointHandler(evt)
{
	log.debug "coolingSetpointHandler: $evt, $settings"
}

def temperatureHandler(evt)
{
	log.debug "TemperatureHandler: $evt, $settings"
}

def changedLocationMode(evt)
{
    if(settings.state == "Set")
    {
	  thermostats.setHeatingSetpoint(heatingSetpoint)
	  thermostats.setCoolingSetpoint(coolingSetpoint)
    }
    else if (settings.state == "Resume") 
    {
      thermostats.resumeProgram()
    }

}

def appTouch(evt)
{
	log.debug "appTouch: $evt, $settings"
    log.debug "Current state: $settings.state"
    if(settings.state == "Set"){
       settings.state = "Resume"
       log.debug "setting state to Reset: $settings.state"
    }
    else {
       settings.state = "Set"
       log.debug "setting state to Set: $settings.state"
    }

}

// catchall
def event(evt)
{
	log.debug "value: $evt.value, event: $evt, settings: $settings, handlerName: ${evt.handlerName}"
}
2 Likes

Nice share, @Michael_Fox, thanks!

PS: To format code within a post, be sure to surround the entire set of lines with three back-quotes:

code here() {
       more code;
    }

Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Very Nice - This is exactly what I was looking for – an elegant solution. One minor change that I made was to label the Heat/Cooling setpoints:

Glad you found this useful and you were able to suggest improvements. I’ve added it to the original code. Thanks.