Smart thermostats and TRVs compatible with smartthings (EU)?

Hello all,

I was looking around to make my central heating smart, with a smart thermostat and radiator handles. Obviously I want to use smart things for it, but I am facing issues with finding good and compatible devices. My current installation has only two wires for the thermostat and most of the ones that I found either require you to drill through the wall to add more wires or they have a very complicated process. Does anyone have had this problem too? Could you advise me on what is the best thermostat that I can buy that is zigbee/z-wave compatible?
Regarding the radiator thermostats, I found some that are zigbee/zwave compatible, but they are not listed in the smarthings list. Could you advise me of any zigbee/z-wave radiator thermostat compatible with a smatthings thermostat?

Thank you in advance for you advises!

1 Like

What country are you in? The device selection does vary. :thinking:

Have a look at this topic. I can just only advise against any heating run by the SmartThings platform.

2 Likes

I live in The Netherlands.

Why do you advise against it? In the thread you linked, you say that you would more likely go for something that has its own hub, runs locally, etc. rather than just plugging a zigbee/zwave TRV into smartthings (like Netatmo?) But (not for floor heating, hot water radiators only) what’s the difference when you don’t have internet? It doesn’t matter if you are controlling TRVs with ST or something else

Look at the date of the post! March of 2021…

Since then many things has changed, including the introduction of Edge drivers and the ongoing phase out of the IDE.

The app hasn’t changed much, but has the Automations run locally if the device runs locally. So Internet outage might not an issue anymore that much, but for reference I will leave here this link:

Have a bit of look on the current and previous issues in October, September, etc, just to get a good feeling how is when the platform is not well operational.

Other heating systems are built as Internet independent, local control, like Drayton’s Wiser Heating setup. It supports plenty heating types, including radiators, floor heating, electric heating, electric floor heating, etc.

The other thing is that, since many hardcore SmartThings users has moved away from ST to either Hubitat or Home Assistant, including myself. I do use HA for almost everything nowadays, and that is due to the continuous changes of the ST platform and the unbearably bad application. Including feature developments without keeping same functionality as before, and promising for years that it will be fixed. Since then the manager has left ST…

Do you want to know more? Ask what you really want to know.

By the way, setting up Schedules for Thermostats in the ST app is just painful and you cannot have an overview of it.