Hi all, this year I’m thinking of asking Father Christmas for some smart multi-room speakers.
I realise there are already separate threads on Sonos and Samsung speakers, but I’m specifically looking for the thoughts and experiences of people who have recently compared these platforms (and other platforms too, Bose maybe), to compile a succinct summary to help chose between them.
I’m in the UK, I have a SmartThings Hub v2, several Echo Dots, iPhones, iPads, and primarily use Spotify for music streaming. I’ll also soon have a Samsung 2016 TV (probably the UE65KS8000). I’m primarily interested in the following use cases:
- Custom voice (text-to-speech) alerts to a particular room, triggered from SmartThings.
- Send a particular audio source to a particular room, controlled from SmartThings.
- Turn speakers on/off and set volume in a particular room, controlled from SmartThings.
- Ask Amazon Alexa to play music from Spotify (or other streaming service) to a particular room.
- Seamless multi-room audio.
- Seamless home-theatre 5.1 integration with the TV.
- Seamless control from a smartphone app.
What works well and what doesn’t at the moment? Are there any other use cases you feel are important and may sway people from one platform over another? All comments greatly appreciated.
I’ll aim to update this post with a summary of the conclusions (as and when a consensus becomes clear).