Multi room support with different hw providers

Hey

Thinking of getting a Samsung HW-Q950T and a separate sonos or bose speaker for another room.
Will this setup enable me to do multi room from these two different providers using smart things?

// Edvin

I’m a big fan of Sonos for multi-room audio but I also bought my first Sonos components when nobody else had anything remotely comparable.

If you want synchronized playback of the same music in multiple rooms, you’re going to need to go with a single system.

2 Likes

That’s to bad, thanks for the quick reply HalD.

There are cheaper alternatives to Sonos these days. I think Amazon has the ability to do synchronized playback on Echo devices and some of them are getting good reviews as far as sound quality.

But, so far as I know, nobody has the full lineup like Sonos.

I’ve got

• an older Sonos soundbar that’s connected to the TV. Thru the Sonos app, it’s virtually linked to two rear channel Sonos speakers and a Sonos subwoofer for wireless 5.1 surround sound.

• two Sonos connect:Amps (older version of the Amp) that drive indoor and outdoor ceiling speakers.

• Two Sonos speakers in the master bedroom that, thru the app, are linked as a stereo pair.

• A couple of singleton Sonos speakers in other bedrooms.

If I want, I can send synchronized music to all of them from any of several streaming sources.

I will say that there’s not a whole lot you can do via SmartThings, I control them via the Sonos app or by talking to Alexa.

I think the only exception to multi-room music working between providers is Apple Airplay. As long as a device is AirPlay certified, it doesn’t matter what brand they are. Of course that means your music source needs to be an Apple device.

1 Like