Smart Lighting (new plugin version)

I seem to have it installed without the requirement for an add-on. I notice that all the other SmartApps have gone. Still makes no sense it being under Create Routine > Discover.

2 Likes

What are people’s thoughts on if there might be an automatic migration? As someone noted earlier, I am hesitant to even download it if that’s going to block any migration as I have a ton of automations in there.

To answer some of your questions & provide context:

1. We removed the Groovy version of SmartLighting from the “Discover” automations tab & replaced it with the Plugin version.

2. Users with the Groovy version of SmartLighting already installed can still interact with it by selecting it in the “Automations” tab. This means that users who already had the Groovy version installed may continue to use it but those that haven’t will only have access to the Plugin version.

3. We will be performing an automatic migration in the future - having both versions installed at that time will not cause any problems. If you want to try the new version now or would prefer to migrate your automations yourself you can do so. Prior to Groovy SmartApp support officially ending, any remaining Groovy SmartLighting automations will be migrated - there will be separate communications for this.

4. These automations do run locally - adhering to the same eligibility rules as Custom Routines. I shared the request for a local execution indicator with the team.

5. We have increased the limit of Routines & Scenes to account for users with a large number of Routines & SmartLighting automations - the limit is now 1000 Routines and/or Scenes.

25 Likes

Yay! :sunglasses:

Just checking: Do Smart Lighting automations created with the new plug in count against that same limit?

5 Likes

Do you need more than 1000?

3 Likes

Yes, the Plugin automations count against the 1000 limit.

6 Likes

Thanks. I expect 1000 will be enough for most community members, I’m just sure someone’s going to ask. :wink:

3 Likes

I’m curious how you picked and chose who to increase the limit to 1000 routines and scenes for.

So you did not do this across-the-board for everybody. How was it decided who gets the 1000 limit? @vlad

to account for users with a large number” - everyone’s getting it because some users are hitting the limit. (I think)

2 Likes

@MarkTr is correct, we increased the overall limit on the platform for all Locations. In regards to the 1000 number - we looked at the distribution of install counts of Smart Lighting, Custom Routines & Scenes. At 1000, we are able to migrate all Locations and have some buffer left over.

4 Likes

How does someone even keep track of 1000 routines/Scenes. etc. ?

3 Likes

LOTS of scrolling :rofl:

Seriously, that would be a chore.
I have 11 screens of just routines, plus half a screen from the new Smart Lighting app.

Hopefully at some point there will be a way to collapse all rules for a single device.
For example, the light in my office has 11 routines associated with it. 4 are time of day based, the rest are as a result of having the Ikea 5-button remote connected to it.

3 Likes

Thank you for such a quick and clear answer. On top of it being what I wanted to hear (and more), it’s appreciated that it would give me the info I was looking for even if not the answer I wanted.

2 Likes

Very welcome news. Thank you.

1 Like

Is the new version of “Smart lighting” (no capital L :wink:) also region locked?

Is the 1000 limit scenes+routines+smart lighting+other rules api automations?

2 Likes

Has anyone checked what all the “sync with switch” function does? On/off only? Dim level? Color?

1 Like

On/off and dimmer for me in the test i just did.

White colours didn’t change on the target bulb when i changed the source bulb.

1 Like

I’m using SmartLighting Smartapp because of its trigger conditions - specifically “When mode changes”

Looking at the new plugin I can see under ‘Run Conditions’
Location Mode: Home (and Away)

• Does this mean it triggers (once) when the location mode changes to Home or Away (actually both can be selected at the same time) ?

Under ‘More options’ there is also ‘Only if location mode is’

• How does this work with the above trigger?

Trying it out by manually changing location mode it does seem to trigger on change

As a note there are often two consecutive activation entries for a smartlighting routine in the History after a trigger

I’m reading it as the first entry is a trigger, the second functions the same as a precondition.

1 Like

can anyone explain why the curtains are in the sync with switch list?
And why do closing curtains turn OFF the light, it makes sense the other way around.

What device capabilities are required to get into this list? I want to have my rotary remote in the sync list as a controller.