Smart lighting automations stopped working (Feb 2022)

Thanks for linking the other post @JDRoberts, I hadn’t seen this thread earlier. I’ll advocate for hotfixing this issue and may reach out to some of the posters here to potentially receive an early firmware update to aid in confirming that we have the right root cause analysis and fix for the issue.

Based on what we’ve seen, we believe that the portions of local smart lighting automations that are not working or which may work only after a period of time are those that trigger based on a time condition rather than a direct device event. This appears to be a bug in the hub software missed during our testing – in setups with devices triggering events on a frequent basis as is the case in many of our test setups, internal beta, and external beta populations the problem is less obvious or not present due to a number of factors and depending on the automation.

Our product people such as @evanartis are aware of the SmartLighting use and the features it provides that are either not available or less convenient in other parts of the product. Loss of functionality in this release is not intentional.

1 Like

Paul, can you or @evanartis give any indication when routines will gain parity/options smartlighting currently has which routines is missing

Quite a few people have been moving automations from SL to Routines but in so doing we have to have 2 or more separate automations to do what was possible with one automation in SL, this pushes us higher and higher on the automation count

1 Like

Paul, can you confirm that SmartLighting automations will be migrated to the new Rules API without user intervention (or with minimal input by users). There are a lot of users out there who don’t follow this forum, and who are completely unaware of the future demise of SmartLighting.

3 Likes

Is there an update out there on when this supposed to happen?

It was originally announced for the end of 2021. Obviously they missed that target, and no new date has been announced. But they continue to make changes in this direction every week, so it’s still coming, we just don’t know exactly when. :thinking:

Original announcement:

Announcement | Changes to our Legacy SmartThings Platform

1 Like

Here’s some weirdness that we’re experiencing….We have motion sensors in our closets (and a door sensor in the garage) that turn the appropriate lights on when motion occurs….and turns them off after motion stops +2 minutes.

Now within the last few days, the “lights on” action works fine, but the light stays on and when motion is sensed in the closet again, the light goes off.

This is using “Smart Lighting” that has worked for years….

That is really strange since most of my remaining Smart Lighting Routines do the exact same thing and are working fine. They are set to immediately turn on a smartbulb or smart power outlet (lamp) using a motion sensor or multipurpose sensor as the trigger with the ‘and turn off’ set to two minutes in most cases. In my case, all of my smartbulbs/smart power outlets and motion sensors/multipurpose sensors are directly connected zigbee devices to the SmartThings Hub that run locally on the SmartThings Hub since they work even during internet outages. That’s why I haven’t moved these remaining Smart Lighting Routines and some others to Routines (Automations) since I would have to create two (one for On and one for Off - yuk), but mainly because the turn Off with a two minute delay after no motion/activity causes the turn Off Routine (Automation) not to run local like the Smart Lighting Routines do. That’s the only reason I still have Smart Lighting Routines is because they run local unlike Routines (Automations). I also have a Smart Lighting Routine using Sunrise as the Trigger with ‘and turn off at Sunset’ enabled that still works fine, as well as all of my Mirror and Minimote button press Smart Lighting Routines that run local using Smart Lighting Routines.

I hope that any resolution the SmartThings engineers do to fix everyone having these issues doesn’t affect mine since they are still working fine after the recent Hub firmware update.

That seems to be consistent with the diagnosed problem. The timer event doesn’t run until another local device event occurs.

1 Like

Can i create such a “local event” every minute somehow as a workaround? What constitutes a local event?

The staff engineer who posted above said it’s working fine for many people, that’s why they didn’t catch the problem earlier.

This appears to be a bug in the hub software missed during our testing – in setups with devices triggering events on a frequent basis as is the case in many of our test setups, internal beta, and external beta populations the problem is less obvious or not present due to a number of factors and depending on the automation.

So it’s not surprising that yours is working and someone else’s isn’t.

Fix has now gone into Beta testing. :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

Hello All,
I just rec’d an email from Samsung on Smartthings Firmware update. See below. Suggest anyone who is having this issue report to Samsung so you receive the firmware update.

sue to report it to Samsung.

FYI, In case you did not receive this notification:

For those who can’t view screen captures, that’s the same information available at the link previously shared in post #52 above.

will the Smart Lighting routines be migrated somewhere else in the ST App? in other words what will happen to all the automations one has set up in Smart Lighting?

i too have experienced this issue (i.e. at Sunset) as well as at 11PM trying to set the light level to 50%.

someone had mentioned using Automations in the ST App tried that and it worked however i liked the Smart Lighting as i could turn on a light 15 minutes BEFORE sunset. i don’t see a way to do this in the Automations routine. you can set the light to come on ‘n’ minutes AFTER sunset but not BEFORE.

thanks!

1 Like

thanks for your quick reply!

my interface looks different than yours, possibly due to the version of the ST App?
one of the differences is you have a “scrolling” list of the numbers, mine you enter the minutes via a keypad.

i’m running Ver. 1.7.47-22 which i think is the latest version for Android 5 (it is running on a Kindle Fire 8 HD). i actually had to sideload this version since i removed whatever version i had previously installed thinking that by re-installing would clear up the Smart Lighting issue. when i tried to install it from the Google Play Store it told me my device was not supported, hence the sideload.

I use iOS so I have no clue what the android version looks like in that regards. Hopefully someone with Android can answer that question for you.

1 Like

For Android SmartLighting, set the offset with a “-” for before sunset.

2 Likes

same with Routines?