Changes to the Legacy SmartThings Platform
The explosive growth of our community and platform over the past few years has been an amazing experience for all of us at SmartThings. We have you to thank for building, innovating and growing with us as we push the envelope to what is possible in the connected home. Today, we wanted to let you know about the next evolution in our journey.
We are making some important shifts in our strategy to best position our platform for the future and investing more deeply in improving the stability and security of our platform. With these changes, we will empower a broad ecosystem of developers to integrate and innovate with SmartThings using technologies of their choice.
Over the course of the next several months, we plan to focus on the development of a flexible, API-based ecosystem with improved device integration methods. We will transition to new services and integrations that offer lower latency, higher reliability, and local execution. These new tools will simplify the user experience into a single mobile app with an intuitive and powerful design.
As part of this transition, we will also retire select legacy features, apps and products, rolling out in three phases over the next several months. Don’t worry, you will have plenty of time to make adjustments, if needed.
- Complete the migration from the SmartThings Classic app to the new SmartThings app that was announced earlier this year.
- Transition to a local (Hub-first) device health solution, with a focus on reliability.
- Begin the wind-down of select legacy systems, SmartApps, and cloud-based device status monitoring.
- Rollout additional features to help us grow toward an API-first platform.
- Retire select legacy hubs – Don’t worry, affected users will have plenty of time to move to a newer version of Hub.
- Complete the shutdown of our legacy developer tools including the Groovy IDE, in favor of a simplified, more robust developer toolset.
As we look to our future beyond the current Groovy-based SmartApp and DTH infrastructure, we also know that it’s vital to maintain critical functionality for our community in order to make this a smooth transition. This is a top priority for us.
SmartThings has always been about innovating to build the best experiences possible through home automation and beyond. Many of you have grown with us since the Kickstarter days as we changed the world through your creativity and innovation. Together, again, we’ll build what’s next.
Thank you for being our reason for coming to work each day.
The SmartThings team