Smart lighting automations stopped working (Feb 2022)

I am hoping the same too! I sent them another msg this am about what you described as this is happening to me too. Everything was working perfectly for 5 years with no issues! Will update here as I get info. Thx

1 Like

Should we just delete the smart lighting app and just run new ones through smartthings automations?!

1 Like

That is up to you to decide but if smart lighting is not working then Routines are the way to go. Also, smart lighting will eventually be phased out when ST ends support of groovy on their platform.

2 Likes

IDK. Mine are set up through ā€œautomationsā€ tab on the Smartthings App. Not sure what you mean?

There are Routines that you can access in Automations, click on the +, select Add Routine

1 Like

Is there a way to get Inovelli switch button push for scene control to work outside of smartlighting?

Oh yes thatā€™s correct thx. Try it & see what happens. Nothing to lose :blush:

Tagging @Eric_Inovelli

Weā€™ve been scratching our heads at this one as it comes up a lot in our community too.

Has anyone been able to get button presses to work in routines in general that you know of?

Tagging @erocm1231 and @Bry for reference as weā€™ve all been trying to troubleshoot similar issues.

Tagging @Automated_House and @orangebucket in case they have any more to add. I know both have done a lot of investigation into different types of buttons. :thinking:

If thereā€™s not something easy in place already, itā€™s honestly not important. I was just trying to get everything out of smartlighting since itā€™s going away, and the Inovelli button pushes are the last items in there.

Iā€™ll just plan on redoing when things switch to edge.

Totally get it! As a ST user myself, itā€™s been bugging me too. And Iā€™d say we have at least a ticket a day come in asking the same question and a lot of ppl asking in our community too.

Weā€™d love to figure it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happened to me yesterday. I triggered a Routine to turn off a bunch of lights, and out of nowhere they all came back on! Itā€™s like SmartLighting was caching a change that turned on those lights on a Location Mode change, and as soon as one light changed, it sent all the updates that were missed on through. Aaaargh. This is worse than SmartLighting cloud automations not working, which has happened a lot in recent years. This is a local automation that did this!

What does ā€˜not workingā€™ mean in this context?

I skimmed the button handling in the LZW31-SN DTH dated the 24th November last year. My initial observations are:

• It seems to be limiting itself to pushed, held and released values for button events. There has never been a released value. All a Routine will ever see is a single button being pushed or held.
  • It is using ye olde buttonNumber fudge. Even Edge drivers still do that for back compatibility. However they do it to support legacy apps that donā€™t understand components and so can only see one button attribute. This handler seems to be doing it for the other reason which is to represent things like multiple taps instead of using the extended range of button values that are now available. That isnā€™t going to work with Routines as they donā€™t use that fudge. It is also unnecessary: for Smart Lighting as that understands the full range of button values; for webCoRE as you can add the values you need; and should also be unnecessary for any app that has had any attention in the last two or three years.
  • It seems to set supportedButtonValues to pushed and held (while still sending out invalid released events). That should make the app only ever mention those values but it is one of the things that has been broken in the app the most. That would be the app getting it wrong and messing with user expectations though.
  • It seems to be using ā€˜physicalā€™ v ā€˜digitalā€™. I have seen it suggested that SmartThings has completely stopped handling that, but I have also seen it suggested that they just stopped supporting it. Either way it seems to be harmless.

Apologies if I missed anything in the handler that renders the above incorrect. That is rather a comprehensive and impressive handler.

So, in summary, a handler for a device that support multiple taps now has two options:

1. Support Routines, Rules and any apps that use the button capability as it has been for the last three or so years.
  2. Donā€™t support Routines, Rules or any apps that donā€™t understand a de facto standard workaround that was once required with legacy apps.

This handler seems to have gone for option 2.

That said it looks as if it should still be possible to configure Routines to handle the buttons to a limited degree and they should do something. Not necessarily anything useful, but something.

Which returns us to the initial question. ā€˜Not workingā€™ could mean not being able to configure anything in Routines, not being able to configure things as wanted, the Routines not running at all, or the routines not running as expected.

1 Like

I am having the exact same problems as others. Started approximately Feb. 1st.

Smart Lighting automations triggered by sunset/sunrise are not working. Manually tapping on/off button for a single device (in iOS app) triggers ā€œallā€ devices which are part of the same automation.

Iā€™ve lodged complaint with Customer Support. They suggested deleting and re-installing iOS app, as well as deleting and re-creating automations. None of that fixed the problem.

Awaiting further instructions from Samsung.

Hereā€™s another reddit discussion on this topicā€¦

1 Like

Best advice is to switch to Routines, Rules API or Samsung Automation Studio

2 Likes

For the outdoor lights that were no longer responding to sunset/sunrise I switched to routines and itā€™s working again. The thing I donā€™t like about routines (unless Iā€™m doing this wrong) is that I have to make 2 different routines, one to turn on at sunset and one to turn off at sunrise. It canā€™t be done in one routine like Smart Lighting. Also, one of my indoor lamps using Smart Lighting for sunset still continues to work (although I have it turn on a few minutes before sunset) which is weird. I might just ditch Smart Lighting altogether and move them to Routines.

1 Like

My thought is, letā€™s pull the plug on groovy and make the switch. This is so painful. I have watched grass grow quicker than this transition.

1 Like

Staff are now working on this problem. Looks like it may take a while. :thinking:

Tagging @jkp @orangebucket @fido just in case they didnā€™t see it in the other thread.

2 Likes