Smart control for garden spike lights

Hi all, I’m having 8 of these garden spike lights installed and would like to include them into my smart home setup:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLGU10SPIKEBK.html

All my current internal and external lights are wired to Fibaro modules and then added to my Smartthings setup. Main thing I will use this for is to integrate the spike lights to my sunset lighting routine so they turn on after dark and off when we go up for the night.

Will a Fibaro Single Switch 2 module do the job? Each of the 8 lights will have a 5W LED bulb in it so that’s a total load of 40W. Other than ensuring the electrician keeps a neutral wire at the switch end of the lights, is there anything else I need to know? I’ll make sure the Fibaro module is placed inside a waterproof enclosure with other power connections for the lights.

Thanks.

@freddyq,
These are the current load specifications of the fibaro switch 2.

If you are going to use a single switch, I don’t think you will have a consumption problem since it will use a 10A relay.

Being 8 LED bulbs, you have 8 drivers in parallel and therefore the starting peak may deteriorate the relay contacts in less time than expected for the 40w they consume.
My experience with a double fibaro was not very good with 4 LEDs of 20w, total 80w. These have 8A Relpole relays and lasted 6 months. I swapped them out for Omron relays better than the originals and put some current limiting resistors on the LEDs.

In your case I don’t think it is necessary, but If you are going to put more lights in the future, you can use the fibaro switch to activate a contactor or a 230Vac relay of higher power.
Tell the electrician about it.

Hmm, I also just came across that page in the manual and it seems to suggest the module shouldn’t be connected to LEDs. Is that right?

The problem with LEDs is that they are not resistive load. They have a driver that converts the AC power supply to DC power. They usually have a limiting resistance at the input, and they also have a capacitor that, when discharged, behaves for an instant like a short circuit and produces a peak in current consumption. By having 8 in parallel the current peaks add up and could damage the relay contacts when close.
With 10A relays I don’t think you have a problem, but if you can put a contactor it will last longer.
tell the electrician

OK. My electrician isn’t familiar with the Fibaro modules but assuming he will understand what needs to be done? I’ve also read you can use the Dimmer 2 instead which can handle LEDs. Is that also an option?

Yes, dimmer 2 haven’t a relay, but if the leds are dimmables could work well

OK, but the bulbs are not dimmable. But I have seen one of the parameters in the dimmer 2 module can be used to simulate on/off and no dimming.

1 Like

Hi SmartThings Community,

Thanks for your email.
As far as it comes with SIngle Switch 2 it’s not recommended to connect it with other loads than resistive and incandescent (as you saw on the forum).
For more technical information, I’m sending the link below:

https://manuals.fibaro.com/switch-2/

As you wrote on the forum, you can use Dimmer 2, which works fine with resistive-capacitive and resistive-inductive loads. And setting parameter 172, you can use it only in ON/OFF mode (dimming is not possible).

If you have any other doubt - I’m at your disposal.

Pozdrawiam/Kind regards,

Kornelia Mulkowska

Tech Support

support@fibaro.com
+48 618 801 000
+44 845 154 2852
+33 970 733 545

Fibar Group S.A.
HQ: ul. Serdeczna 3, 62-081 Wysogotowo
TAX no.: PL7811858097 / BDO no.: 000008175
REGON/Polish National Business Reg, no.: 301595664 / Share capital: 1 182 100 PLN
KRS (reg. no): 0000553265, Regional Court of Poznan Nowe Miasto and Wilda in Poznan,
VIII Commercial Division of the National Court Register

1 Like

Hi Kornelia, many thanks for your response to confirm the answer here. Just one detail I’d also like you to confirm that if I use the Dimmer 2 and enable parameter 172, I am assuming I can use non-dimmable bulbs?

Hi SmartThings Community,

Yes, exactly.
Here are more information about the type of loads you can connect:

As a dimmer it operates under the following loads:

• 230V operated conventional incandescent and halogen light sources
  • 12V operated ELV halogen lamps and dimmable LED bulbs (with electronic transformers)
  • 12V operated MLV halogen lamps (with ferromagnetic transformers)
  • dimmable LED bulbs
  • dimmable compact fluorescent CFL tube lamps
  • supported dimmable light sources (power factor > 0.5) with minimal power of 5VA using FIBARO Bypass 2 (depending on the type of load)
    All the technical data are in the link below:

https://manuals.fibaro.com/dimmer-2/

Have a good day!

Pozdrawiam/Kind regards,

Kornelia Mulkowska

Tech Support

support@fibaro.com
+48 618 801 000
+44 845 154 2852
+33 970 733 545

Fibar Group S.A.
HQ: ul. Serdeczna 3, 62-081 Wysogotowo
TAX no.: PL7811858097 / BDO no.: 000008175
REGON/Polish National Business Reg, no.: 301595664 / Share capital: 1 182 100 PLN
KRS (reg. no): 0000553265, Regional Court of Poznan Nowe Miasto and Wilda in Poznan,
VIII Commercial Division of the National Court Register