Smart Alarm Needs a leader

When it comes to writing SmartApps, you’re the man, so if you have the time and want to take this on, go for it.

2 Likes

Hi Kevin,
anything new going on code or feature wise relative to this thread.

Thx

I have some users testing a pre-alpha release of the new SmartApp I’ve been working on. If you’re interested in playing around with it, let me know and I’ll send you the information.

1 Like

Kevin,
I would love to take a look, thanks in advance.

Bob

I don’t understand what smart alarm is not able to do? Just use smart alarm.

I have used it for 2 years, works flawlessly.

You are one lucky man. It’s better than SHM but it’s out of sync with mode quite often before and you can’t easily disable the alarm once it’s triggered with the wrong mode. 2 years is a long time with no problem.

What version of smart alarm do you have? I never have a problem with mode. Honestly the wife would have had a regular alarm system long ago if this didn’t work so well. I even have a tablet with smart things and sharp tools that shows mode changes and even that works everytime. I also have a task that fires a “please disarm the alarm” when the garage door is opened in away mode.

FYI, I started writing a zone based SmartApp for myself before this Topic was created so I’m not trying to replace SmartAlarm.

Mine’s something completely different so a lot of users will probably prefer the way SmartAlarm works.

Just realized I have version 2.2.6. Maybe some new bugs were introduced in 2.4.6

Here is the 2.2.6 code give this a shot.

Did updates to SmartAlarm ever get completed?

I created a new SmartApp called Simple Zone Monitor, but most beta testers found it overly complex and then SmartAlarm was going to be updated so I stopped development on it and never posted it to the forum.

I’ve been using it for months and I think some of the beta testers are still using it too, but I’d still consider it a beta version. Now that SmartAlarm is dead again, I’ll probably continue developing it once I have some free time.

5 Likes

Have been playing with it for a couple days, it is a little complicated, but not over the top. I like it and think if you have the free time complete it!

1 Like

Played with this all evening and it’s similar to SmartAlarm for setting up. I think because there are so many more options hence it’s a little more overwhelming at first. The delay and Beep are very nice. One thing I couldn’t find is to turn all the lights back to the previous state after confirming the alarm. Thanks for another useful app @krlaframboise.

1 Like

I made some initial changes which made it a little less confusing, but you’re right that the number of options is overwhelming until you get used to it.

I think the main difference is the way zones are used. SA uses internal vs external for determining which devices get armed and SZM uses zones to group devices by location/room and there are exclusion options that allow you to control which devices in the zone get armed based on the “Monitoring Status”.

What do you mean by “confirming the alarm”?

Keep in mind that this is a beta version.

I meant to say the difficulty level for setting up is similar to SmartAlarm.

[quote=What do you mean by “confirming the alarm”?
[/quote]
I set the alarm to turn on quite a few lights and want it back to the previous state. When I disarm the alarm after an intrusion or false alarm.
Beta but looks very promising.

So how do you currently do that?

SmartAlarm.

But how? I haven’t actually used SmartAlarm, but I just installed it and I’m not seeing any settings in the alarm options that allow you to reset the switches to their previous state.

I am not sure either. There is no option to set to return to previous state but somehow it works. There are quite few versions of SmartAlarm as well.

Not everyone would want this behavior and some users might want some lights to work like this and others not so trying to implement this in a way that’s useful for everyone isn’t practical.

It’s not a great solution, but if you created a virtual switch, you could turn it on when there’s an alarm and turn it off when the system is disarmed and use CoRE to turn on and remember the state of those lights and then restore them when the switch is turned off.

I tried to avoid re-creating the wheel which is why the arming options are limited, but it allows you to arm/disarm the system based on the truth change of a CoRE piston.