Slow WiFi speeds and dissappearing things

So, we moved from Texas to Michigan about a year ago. We had 3 SmartThings-WIFI hubs in our 4500sqft house and they were doing just fine for the 5 years we lived there. I cant remember what our ISP subscribed speed was but I know it wasn’t a gig service. I think it was 250mbps. Anyway, we would normally get between 250-300mbps through ethernet cable and about 75-150mbps through wifi depending on how far we are from the hub.

Now we are in about the same size house in Michigan but it also has a basement. The ISP had to install a cable to our house to get us the 1 gig service. Then the signal was to strong so they had to install about 100 ft of coaxil cable that was just coiled up in the basement. We did have the main hub in the basement and the other two hubs on main levels. We never got great speeds. Like our wifi speeds were 15-50mbps at best. Sometimes they would dip down to less than 1gbps and we would have to reboot the modem and hubs to get the speed back. I always figured that the slow wifi speeds was because the main hub was in the basement.

I had planned on setting up a networking hub in the closet on the main level. I finally got around to doing that and just to test things out i concentrated the hubs on the main level. Unfortunately, I am still getting very slow speeds between 15-50mbps. I haven’t seen it dip down below 1gbps yet but that seemed like a glitch anyway. So I am at a loss on why our wifi speeds are so slow. Speed test at the hub connected to the modem shows 800-990mbps on average. Speed test on computers connected to ethernet are around 350mbps. Why is my wifi speed so slow? I’m getting ready to go buy a different wifi mesh system if I cant fix this.

On a side note, when I moved everything around i ended up resetting my hubs and adding them back to the smartthings app. Then i noticed that all my garage door sensors had disappeared from the app. I checked IDE and they are gone there too. Was that because of the hub reset?

Yes. If you reset the hub, you lose all the information about any devices previously attached to it so you’ll have to readd those after the reset.

• type of construction for the interior of the house… wood/plaster, stone/concrete blocks, other?
  • did you test speeds near each Access Point and get the same slow speeds?
  • where is the placement of the main unit and the connected units?
3 Likes

This seems odd to me. An inline attenuator would have been a much better choice, as it would not have the attenuation vs. frequency curve that coax exhibits–in other words, higher frequencies would be attenuated more than lower frequencies within a length of coaxial cable.

2 Likes

Here is the floor plan to my house. The red dot is where the main hub used to be and the orange dots are where the sub hubs were. The blue dot is where the main hub is currently and the teal dots are where the sub hubs are. My computer is in the office and there are other computers in most of the bedrooms. The house is standard construction… basement has poured concrete walls, the upper floors have stud and drywall construction. The exterior is a combo of bricks and vinyl siding. Asphalt shingle roof.

This morning I took a new laptop around and did wifi speed tests (by Ookla) in various locations. The results were pretty good. I was getting between 150-250Mbps with that laptop in all the bedrooms and major areas of the house including the basement game room. So it seems maybe the system just needed to optimize and maybe relocating and resetting the hubs had something to do with the increase in speeds. Before I moved the Main hub and reset all the hubs everyone was complaining. Now my family is happy.

However, my computer in the office is really slow and only getting 20Mbps right now. This computer is only 5 years old and is using the integrated wifi module on the ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING motherboard. Also, we have another computer in the basement game room that is only getting about 60Mbps but that computer is probably about 10 years old so I am not too worried about that.

The new laptop in the same position is getting about 170Mbps. So it seems there is an issue with my computer’s wifi capabilities. I am thinking it is hardware related.

Hmm, I thought that was a little strange as well but I don’t know enough about it. So should I call them back out to replace all that coax with an inline attenuator? Would it result in an improvement in the service?

Oh, bummer. I wish I had known that before hand. I figured the app would save the info.

That’s a lot of house to cover with just three mesh points.

We moved into a newly constructed home in June 2018. It’s only about 3000sqft, all one level. The house is somewhat long and narrow so it’s about 100ft from the end of the attached garage in one end to the patio on the other end. The exterior is stucco and stone. I went with the original eero mesh system and had to use 4 of them, partly to push signal thru the stucco to outdoor cameras.

I think you’d benefit from one of the newer WiFi mesh systems. I see these benefits for you:

1. WiFi 6 and later is built for more devices and higher speeds.

2. Firmware updates for the Samsung WiFi mesh system have lagged well behind the “regular” SmartThings/Aeotec hubs for at least the last couple of years. While it isn’t quite an orphaned device it sure seems like it’s headed that way.

3. Separating your SmartThings Z-wave/Zigbee/Matter hub from your WiFi router gives you more flexibility in placing each and avoiding things like Zigbee/WiFi interference.

5 Likes

Yeah, since I am running cat 6 cable through the house I am looking at setting up wifi through wired access points. Seems like that is better and more reliable than a mesh system.

Update on my slow wifi speeds… I was previously able to test speeds and found that my newer laptop had really good speeds in various locations throughout the house. Only two computers were getting slow speeds and one of them is really old so that is probably why that one wasn’t comparable.

Anyway, recently I have been having issues with the wifi hubs disconnecting a lot… like every 10-15 minutes the wifi hubs will just go offline and then come back online. I have tried rebooting them and that doesn’t seem to help. This all started after I relocated the hubs and started passing the internet through my new gigabit router before going to the main hub. I checked the settings and the main hub is setup in auto mode and showing Bridge mode which is what it is supposed to do when it is connected to a router.

I can’t figure out what is going on. Sometimes it will go for a few hours without issues and other times it is going offline and coming back online every minute. Until I get my new wifi system up and running I thought I would come here and see if there were any other settings to check.

Also it is curious… I checked the web interface and only the main hub is showing up there. I was trying to see if there were some activity logs that is showing more info about the issue. In the basic part of the interface is says no activity when I click on the hub. If I go to the advanced users area I don’t see anything like an activity log except there is a link that says “dump hub logs”.

Any help is very much appreciated. Also, when I do switch over to the access points then is there a way to disable the wifi function on these hubs and just use them as regular smartthings hubs?

Mesh systems, at least the ones I’m familiar with, can communicate between their hubs via Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

My 5-year old eeros are a mix as some of the hubs needed to be in spots with no Ethernet access. Our 6-month old TP Deco deployment at church also is mixed. I’ve not had any connectivity issues or speed challenge with either one.

2 Likes

Yeah, I also have three wifi hubs connected via ethernet directly to the main router. Those are also dropping offline and coming back on. This is a recent problem and I am not quite sure what is causing it but the only changes that I have made was to reset and relocate the wifi hubs and then switch it so that the main hub is now connected to my new router instead of the main hub acting as the router.

Two of my sub hubs were previously connected to the main hub via a switch and everything was working fine. Those two sub hubs are now connected to the router via a switch and those are also dropping off just like the hubs that are wirelessly connected.

I am thinking I either need to connect the two sub hubs to the main hub instead of the router and or I need to make the main hub the router again until I get the new wired access points installed.

I have looked through the settings and I don’t see a way to turn off the wifi features of the Smartthings wifi hubs but maybe I am overlooking something.

I would try that. But if everything other than the “main” router is on bridge mode it isn’t obvious why your current setup would be a problem.