Sensor to attach to object to detect if it's been picked up or is being moved?

Good morning!

I’m looking for a SmartThings compatible sensor that I can place on an object that will alert me if the object has moved. So battery powered movement detection.

My thinking is that I could leave this in my Solo Stove (in a plastic bag) when not in use and be alerted if someone starts messing with it .

Any suggestions?

SmartThings multi purpose sensor. It detects movement/acceleration.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll give it a try.

Aqara has a vibration sensor, and will soon be releasing a Zigbee 3.0 version. It’s tiny and it works really well detecting motion.

2 Likes

Our dogs barking set off my front door Smartthings movement sensor, not sure it’s supposed to be that sensative though but proves they make good movement sensors

Aeon has one too.

What country are you in? The device selection does vary. But you’re probably looking for something with an accelerometer. The accelerometers are often advertised as “vibration sensors.“

Most “tilt Sensors“ will work as well if you’re talking about something being picked up and carried.

Here are some pictures of the Aqara sensor to give you a little perspective of their size:

2 Likes

I was using the Door Knocker app for my front and back door…both ST multipurpose sensors. Apparently these sensors have varying degrees of sensitivity from device to device. The front door works just right but the back door sensor was so sensitive that it picked up vibration just walking by.

I think the sensitivity is engineered to a fairly narrow specification. It’s more likely that the door itself is different or the external environment. If one door is more sheltered than another that can make a difference, if they have a different kind of weatherstripping, if one goes through more temperature changes during the day… There are a lot of factors that can affect an accelerometer.