Sensor for Jimmy Proof Lock

Not sure if this is the right forum but I have a mini project that I could use some advice on.

I’d like to create an alert for if a Jimmy Proof Lock to see if it’s locked or not. (this is what it is if you aren’t in the know: https://www.amazon.com/NU-SET-2125-3-Locking-Deadbolt-Cylinder/dp/B007A4SP8I).

I’ve done some forum research for other deadbolts and I think using the Ecolink Door/Window sensor would be optimal since you can wire up external inputs.

Here are some pix of the lock:

CloudApp

As you can see there is just barely enough room below the last cylinder to maybe put something like a pressure sensor. I was originally thinking about putting a micro lever switch but i think that would be too big. Once it’s locked and the cylinder is pushed down into that cavity it can touch something to complete the circuit and send a signal to the attached Ecolink – in theory.

Possible?

Any advice would be great!

Tagging @johnconstantelo

I measured the lock cylinder and it’s roughly 10mm so perhaps something like this would work? Should fit within the void I would imagine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Point-5mm-Force-Sensor-Solder-Tab/123966166405?hash=item1cdcf59585:g:SYUAAOSwnI9dwxa1. Would I just have to put that on the Ecolink’s contact sensors? I’d probably drill a hole in the top of the lock then to have the wires come out and right into it.

Thanks for tagging me @JDRoberts!

@Kal20, here’s what I did for a deadbolt. If you have room inside the lock, like had, a microswitch could be placed and configured to have it trip. I literally used a toothpick glued to the barrel and when it rotated around it closed the switch:

1 Like

Thanks. However this is very different than the lock I posted. Did you happen to read the thread or click on the image?

I sure did, pretty easy read and only the first 1/3 of the picture provided a clear view of the lock; hence my reply. Based upon the pictures, and documentation/pictures on the web, you may be able to place a very small micro switch inside the lock and have it tripped closed from the downward action of the silver metal part: (keeping it away from the grease of course)

Thanks. see what you’re saying. The reason why I didn’t include the photos of the locking mechanism is that I was primarily concentrating on using a force pressure sensor in the cavity and relying on the cylinder to push down on it. I originally thought about using a micro switch as you suggest but don’t think there is enough room in there unfortunately ;\

You’d probably know better than I in terms of how small of a switch I’d need – could you enlighten me where to get one? MIght be worth trying. :slight_smile:

Believe it or not I got it from Radio Shack a few years ago, but they’re available on Amazon too. There are many variants and sizes!

Here some tiny ones: (I’d try one of these first since you’ll have many mounting options)
https://www.amazon.com/Cylewet-25Pcs-Switch-Arduino-CYT1073/dp/B073TYWX86/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2MEJ215BYL7ZR&keywords=micro+switch+with+lever&qid=1573769726&sprefix=micro+switch%2Caps%2C436&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNFFDUzdGN0xPMkM0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDY3NjU1R1hTR0lLM0M2VVkmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDc3Mzg5MkFUREpVN0tSWktLMiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

This is similar to what I used:

1 Like