Samsung TV - Can't Turn On

If you look at your smart things app, you can see why you can not turn on the device by voice. After about 5 minutes of your TV being off…everything shuts off. This includes the usb ports and most importantly…the internet. The app will show “disconnected” which shows there is no internet connection and Alexa cannot communicate with the TV without an internet connection. The firetv and chromecast options work as well as some other devices that use voice control and hook up with cec in the hdmi port. I dont believe there is any way to change this in any setting that I have found, but hopefully this is a starting point for people.

2 Likes

While this may be true for some old models, it’s not entirely true for most. The old functionality allowed switching on at any point, even after being ‘off’ for a week.

Also, I have one Samsung TV plugged into the mains, and ethernet only. If it’s off, I can still cast a Youtube video directly to it to get it to come on (no chromecast or fire stick, just the internal app).

This isn’t a hardware restriction. However I personally can live without being able to turn the TV on with ST. Turning off is the main thing for me.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue. My Samsung Smart TV was connected to the internet by wireless, but I’ve now connected it to the internet via Ethernet cable and tried turning it on via Alexa command, with no luck. However I can still turn it off via my echo dot.

I have a google chromecast connected to the TV, and while I know a Google Home (mini) device could connect to that to turn the TV on, is there a possibility the Amazon Echo Dot can do the same?

I’m having the same issue. I was able to turn it on with Google Assistant and the SmartThings app while it was on WiFi, but now that I’ve connected it via internet all I can do is turn it off. Has anyone been able to turn on their TV with Alexa / Google via wired internet?

(Samsung Q7 series)

I had the exact same problem with my Ru8000, I could turn off my TV via Alexa but couldn’t turn it on using a wired Internet connection. So after a few days of having my TV I thought I’ll try it using wireless connection instead and now I can get Alexa to not only turn off my TV but also turning it on.
The only conclusion that I can think of is that in standby mode it turns off the wired connection port so no Internet access when on standby.

1 Like

Same problem here. In troubleshooting I did a continuous ping to the TV after turning it off, and after a few seconds the ping starts to time out. So it definitely seems as if when it goes to standby mode the Wifi component is shut down.

Mine is connected to Wifi. I tried the Wake On LAN as well which failed but I never thought to try Wake On LAN with the TV connected using ethernet. Anyone tried this?

1 Like

This is complete and utter crap. Clearly, we all bought smart tvs because we want to create a smart home. Google Home Hub and Alexa are the platforms of choice. What’s the point if you cannot control the TV through them? How do we get Samsung to fix this?

6 Likes

I have the same issue. My Google Home can control my Samsung TV’s volume, turn it off, etc EXCEPT turn my TV back on. It kept saying “it looks like your TV isn’t available right now”. I had my CEC on, firmware the most recent version, my internet connection is fine (connected by LAN) and my other devices are online. I believe it’s just Samsung developer team created a flaw in their Smartthings apps. It’s 2019, how hard to write a few more codes?

I tried calling Samsung and got India. Even though their English and connection was poor I still entertained the whole scripted process. I spend over an hour doing a factory restore on my SmartThings hub, phone and tv with no solution. I’m still within return time of my tv. Should I just return it or has anyone found a solution? Have the u8000 and can’t turn it on after 3 min or so of it being powered off using my SmartThings app…

Have a 8 and 6 series both can be turned off with st app and Alexa neither can be turned on. Absolutley unacceptable to claim smart functionality and not be able to turn on and off.

2 Likes

I can close my Samsung TV but can not open it once it is close. And since this blog is open since Jan 2018 and nobody, not even SmartThings nor Samsung as a response to it. I don’t think nobody has and answer.

When samsung tv turns off it disconnects from the home network thereby not allowing you to turn it on by voice. My work around is this: I have FIOS connected to my tv and alexa. When I tell alexa to change fios channel to “X” it comes on and triggers my tv to turn on also. I know that I set up my box to be controllable in the tv’s setup also. In other words, if I turn on my cable box remote it turns on the tv. Hope this helps somebody.

I have the exactly same problem, if the tv is connected to internet via Wireless everything is working, Google home can turn of and on the tv without any problem, if the tv is connected to the internet via LAN cable i’m not able to turn it on, I can only turn it of and that’s all. But another strange thing is that I can turn it on and off from smartThing doesn’t matter if it’s connect to the internet via WIFI or Lan… Samsung? can we fix it?

This is a Smart Things issue. Mine worked for about four weeks then started experiencing the very same issue. Samsung help for both tv and Smart Things device was worthless. I gave up on smart things and am looking at different hubs. Why, support simple as that.

1 Like

This isn’t reassuring! :frowning: I recently bought a Samsung Q60R and connected it to smartthings using my Samsung account. The TV is on wireless and sees all of my smartthings device fine. The smartthings Android app also shows the TV and can control it fine. However, even though Alexa has discovered the TV via smartthings, it is unable to control it with voice. Alexa gives me a success chime whenever I ask her to turn on/off the TV…but the TV does nothing. I’ve tried all the suggestions I have seen online to fix this…but no joy. Does it even work for anyone?

1 Like

Hi, it worked on Lan or wireless?

Yes, I have now been having issues with the TV dropping out of the network. It is not the network itself because I have been measuring The speed and monitoring the network and logs show that the network is good. The TV support team told me that the IoT server for the Smart Thing is the Issue.

I am on wireless, and it works through smartthings app, but has never worked with Alexa.

1 Like

Adding another one to the thread. Exact same problem with my NU8000. Can turn TV off with SmartThings. If I try to turn it on with Google Assistant I get "it looks like your TV isn’t available right now”. The SmartThings app also shows the TV is offline. TV is connected via lan cable.

My work around is having a broadcom universal remote that works with the TV. I set a scene for turning on the TV and it works a charm. Also allows me to control the TV if i’m out of the house.

Would be great if Samsung could issue a fix for this.