Samsung Reveals Entire 2016 Smart TV Line-Up will be IoT Ready

(fightingmajor) #21

But it’s “ONLY” $6,900 haha

(Convinced ST will never be unbroken…) #22

Samsung will NEVER do this; one reason I was saddened by their acquisition of SmartThings from day one. They are an Apple wannabe, and love the idea of a proprietary ecosystem, regardless of their open IoT marketing speak of last year.

They’re known industry wide for poor support for both their products and their customers.

(Benji) #23

THIS IS AMAZING!!! I’M SO EXCITED!!! :smile:

I have a 2013 which I use the Samsung TV (Connect) app with but having an actual app on the TV itself is going to be even better! I was even planning on getting a new SUHD one as well although have no need for an additional ‘hub’ BUT WHO CARES!!! THIS IS AWESOME!!! I shall wait until 2016 then!

I hope hope hope hope hope hope HOPE these new TV’s will allow a LAN device to turn the TV on from standby, we shall see… I wonder if they’ll release the app for the older Smart TV’s as well…

As for the confusion, as I understand it, all new 2016 TV’s will have a ST app on the TV but will still require you to have a ST hub separately, the 2016 ‘SUHD’ TVs will actually have the ‘hub’ built into the TV (less the ZigBee and Z-Wave radios) meaning you don’t require a separate ST hub however, you will need the USB stick to give the TV the necessary ZigBee/Z-Wave radios to actually work.

The latter isn’t useful for those who already own a ST hub but I don’t care, it’s awesome! And thinking about it, since the TV will still need to provide the ‘hub’ functionality even while in standby (because who wants to leave their TV on all the time so their lights work), I’m hoping that increases the chances of being able to turn the TV on from standby by LAN devices!

I really want to go to CES and to meet the ST team! EXCITING TIMES.

To clarify, this announcement is that the new 2016 Smart TVs will be able to act as a SmartThings Hub with the addition of a small USB stick.

More info (and announcements) coming during CES.

(Keith Croshaw) #25

Yup I agree. That’s exactly why I’m not interested.

Good for who?

1. Samsung’s television division: certainly yes, even if it doesn’t work, it’s a differentiator. And as I mentioned above, both the “movie night” scene and the use of motion sensors with home theaters are good marketing stories for high end televisions.

2. Samsung investors: sure, it keeps Samsung’s name in a lot of industry stories.

3. Samsung television customers: why not? If it does nothing more than equal the Harmony hub extender functionality, that’s a good thing for those use cases.

4. Current SmartThings hub owners: it’s good if it causes Samsung to address the three issues I mentioned: reliability, on boarding of new customers, and usability. It’s bad for some current customers if it collapses the reliable universe down to the devices on the official compatibility list.

5. third-party developers: no way to know yet whether the current concept of custom code will apply to the TV hub functionality. Based on what we’ve seen with the V2 hub, my guess is it won’t. But I have no basis for that, it’s just a guess.

6. nest owners: no way to tell yet, but if four and five fall out the way I am guessing, then the television might well be eligible to be a “works with nest” partner where the current hub is not. Because if you take away the current version of custom code, you can limit the interface in a way that meets Nest’s requirements for partners. Ditto some other potential partners. We’ll have to see on that one, but I have to think that Samsung would like their television to be a “works with nest” partner. :wink:

So, again, “good” for who? I think it’s a sensible and interesting move for Samsung. As for the rest of us, we’ll just have to see how it goes.

(Convinced ST will never be unbroken…) #27

Television is a remarkably low margin market; not to mention we don’t upgrade them every year or two like we do a smart phone (a rather high margin business for Samsung). Samsung can’t even be bothered to keep their software on smart phones up to date, let alone for the 5-8 year cycle that a TV would require.

TV is simply the wrong place for this. A set top box with pass thru and overlays is the way to do it, but that doesn’t sell a big ticket TV. So we had 3D, and curves, and now 4k, and soon HA, so that Samsung can give you one more reason to upgrade your TV. 3D sucked. If you don’t know… if you sit more than 10 feet away from your 60 inch 4k TV, it is pretty much a worthless upgrade as well (unless you look at your TV through binoculars). So let’s see how well the HA’d TV does; I think you can guess my prediction.

I understand, I think it just comes down to the specific use cases. If they reliably support “movie night” scene which is triggered by a motion sensor and does nothing but turn some lights down and the television on, I think that has an appeal. Then add in something with the security camera and maybe a notification from the washing machine that the laundry is done, and I think it serves both its marketing purposes and adds some value for the customer.

That’s absolutely not the same thing as taking the current SmartThings functionality and moving it to the television. But that’s the point of my guess is above. I think this will end up as a limited set of devices and a limited set of functions for those devices. But I do think that will be enough to keep it a viable market feature.

Look, current voice control of most smart televisions is super limited. But what is there is still useful, and markets great. My personal guess, again only a guess, is that IOT that is television-based is going to be the equivalent: a very limited set of features. But still useful for some specific needs, particularly those that already involve the television. Hence movie night and the security camera. But we’ll see. :sunglasses:

(Convinced ST will never be unbroken…) #29

My point is that application support of any kind does not belong in a TV. Code and the embedded devices that run it have a very short supportable lifespan compared to a TV, and I won’t even get into the possible security aspects. I don’t want anything that requires software updates attached to my TV, my refrigerator, or my motor vehicle; that is simply planned obsolescence. Because, trust me, after a year or two, you will not get them (especially from Samsung).

I am holding out for a Nexus refrigerator. (c;

Greeeaaaat. Now my 2016 Samsung TV will turn on when I’m gone instead of when I’m there. I’ll have to turn it on for 3 seconds, off for 3 seconds, on for 3 seconds and off for 3 seconds so I can re-include it every other day. I’ll have to program it to turn on at 4:55 p.m. if I want to watch it at 5:00 p.m. because everyone else will set theirs to 5 p.m. So I don’t get a time collision. It won’t turn on at all because I have to manually set my mode to home because it’s stuck on away because my presence is screwed up. :wink:

(Fastcarve) #31

Ahh… I just purchased a 2015 SUHD 4k Samsung a few weeks ago. I was suggesting we wait another year and my wife (easily) talked me into buying now. Oh well.

Despite me normally being the type of person that doesn’t want a bunch of stuff built into a TV, I think this move has some very good potential. It could open up ST HA to a much larger audience which could then justify much more development on the platform.

There are Different kinds of technical obsolescense.

In one kind, you buy something, it works fine, but eventually you get to the point where it cannot be updated to add new features. However, the old features continue to work fine.

And another kind, you buy something, it works fine, there some kind of platform change, what you have stops working, but it cannot be updated to work with the new features. This happens a lot in tablet gaming.

So it all depends on how it’s implemented. If it’s a matter of some Zigbee sensors that you have working the way you set them up to work, but because your software is old you can’t add some new devices or new features, that may still be OK. On the other hand, if the sensors that you have stopped working and can’t be made to work, that’s a different issue.

Houses often have a lot of old Technology, whether it’s door locks or intercoms or pumps or HVAC systems. The technology may be obsolete, but the devices can continue to run until there’s an actual physical breakdown. They may be 20 or 30 years out of date and still be useful.

So we’ll just have to see what it actually arrives.

(Convinced ST will never be unbroken…) #33

That is usually not the case. Amazon updated their content APIs some time ago. YouTube just recently, and Hulu is working on moving away from Flash to HTML5. When these APIs are updated, existing apps are broken until updated (or permanently, depending on the time frame). Moreover, embedded systems that are 3 years old may not have the ability to run new code based on newer frameworks designed to talk to these new API’s (or, it would be such a kludge that the OEM simply ignores it). See @Geko’s post above that his BR player was abandoned two years into its life.

As I said, it varies. I agree many " features" are really services these days, and may break later.

(Glen McGowan) #35

I guess now we know why it’s been taking so long to address key issues with the current ST hub. They’re developing new hardware/platforms with Samsung.

It would be wise to demonstrate you can stabilize a little $99 paperweight before you try to encourage folks to plop down $3000 for a new TV with the same.

(Amauri Viguera) #36

It really is perplexing how the whole ecosystem seems to be evolving at this point, and it both gives me hope that they REALLY are going to get their act together and at the same time makes me think that resources are being spent in places that can attract new customers, rather than fix some of the issues that are currently present.

The basic issues like presence detection and z-wave message delivery have plagued a good deal of users for a long, long time. And yet SmartThings decided that they were going to go ahead and release a subscription-based alarm service which relies heavily on both.

My hope is that “Hub 3.0 - Now with 100% More TV” will actually have a completely / mostly revamped system that will address a lot of the very real, very basic problems that some of us see day to day. I will most certainly not buy a TV to get that though, so hopefully there’s an upgrade path (even if it’s a paid one) for hub 1.0 / 2.0 users or a new low-cost standalone hub – although I doubt it.

(Geko) #37

I told ya, didn’t I? We’re just a bunch of unpaid beta-testers for Samsung. :wink:

(Geko) #38

every Samsung SUHD TV will be able to control SmartThings-compatible devices like lights, locks, and cameras without the need for a separate $99 SmartThings hub on the home network. A free SmartThings Extend USB adapter is required, however, in order to add the ZigBee and Z-Wave home automation protocols to the Wi-Fi already built into Samsung’s smart TVs.

So, are you telling me that the stick will have both Zigbee and Z-Wave radios? Sounds dubious to me.

That’s what it says :wink:

FWIW Nortek has a Z-Wave/ZigBee stick:
http://www.nortekcontrol.com/gocontrol-detail.php?productId=1773

(Glen McGowan) #40

Ya, we’re all addicts waiting for the next hit. They know that…